Bullnose Forums

Help! My starters are noisy and keep burning out.

There is an error in that article, Ford started PMGR starters on the 1990 Lincoln Town Car with the 5.0L (302) V8.

Thank you everybody. This is very helpful. I'm taking the truck and the information you gave me to my mechanic this morning. I really love my truck in spite of it being so thirsty and I hope I can get this issue resolved.

There is an error in that article, Ford started PMGR starters on the 1990 Lincoln Town Car with the 5.0L (302) V8.

Good to hear you have a good relationship with your mechanic! Hopefully the brain trust here can help you out too!

Stick with it, these trucks are great when you get the kinks worked out.

These PGMR starters.... what does the PGMR stand for and what makes them different or better? And where can I get one that's right for my truck?

PMGR = Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction.

What makes them noticeably different is the smaller size and much lighter weight.

Starting in 1992, these became the standard starters on the F-Series. And since the 1992 models were very similar to the Bullnose generation, the PMGR starter will bolt right in with very little modification. Ford even sold a conversion kit to make it easy to install on older trucks:

Starter motor: E9SZ11002BRM (Motorcraft SA769ARM)

Heat shield: F4TZ11006A

Wiring harness conversion kit: F2PZ11K162A, (Motorcraft SK348)

Instructions: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/pmgr-starter-wiring.html

These PGMR starters.... what does the PGMR stand for and what makes them different or better? And where can I get one that's right for my truck?

PMGR = Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction.

What makes them noticeably different is the smaller size and much lighter weight.

Starting in 1992, these became the standard starters on the F-Series. And since the 1992 models were very similar to the Bullnose generation, the PMGR starter will bolt right in with very little modification. Ford even sold a conversion kit to make it easy to install on older trucks:

Starter motor: E9SZ11002BRM (Motorcraft SA769ARM)

Heat shield: F4TZ11006A

Wiring harness conversion kit: F2PZ11K162A, (Motorcraft SK348)

Instructions: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/pmgr-starter-wiring.html

I don't know what happened to my last post. I was trying to update where things are with my truck.That post never showed up here. So I'm trying again...

My Mechanic looked at the flywheel which is an upgraded one,hardened metal and also a little thicker I think. I did that because the previous flywheel had broken off teeth so I figured since the biggest expense is the labor I might as well get the strongest flywheel available so that this can't happen anymore, It has no beveled teeth. My mechanic ended up shimming the starter and now everything is fine.

I read somewhere that I could lube the flywheel with Moly Grease to help the starter engage easier.

What do you think about that?

I don't know what happened to my last post. I was trying to update where things are with my truck.That post never showed up here. So I'm trying again...

My Mechanic looked at the flywheel which is an upgraded one,hardened metal and also a little thicker I think. I did that because the previous flywheel had broken off teeth so I figured since the biggest expense is the labor I might as well get the strongest flywheel available so that this can't happen anymore, It has no beveled teeth. My mechanic ended up shimming the starter and now everything is fine.

I read somewhere that I could lube the flywheel with Moly Grease to help the starter engage easier.

What do you think about that?

If everything is fine now then I'd leave well enough alone.

If everything is fine now then I'd leave well enough alone.

I second this. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Okay that's what I'll do. Thank you guys for your help.

This seems to be a great forum and I'm sure I'll be back looking for help with other issues.

Like how I could make my truck get 20 miles per gallon. Lol

Okay that's what I'll do. Thank you guys for your help.

This seems to be a great forum and I'm sure I'll be back looking for help with other issues.

Like how I could make my truck get 20 miles per gallon. Lol

If you have a 300 six and a 5-speed 20 MPG is obtainable. :nabble_smiley_evil:

If you have a 300 six and a 5-speed 20 MPG is obtainable. :nabble_smiley_evil:

It's obtainable with a 300/I6 with a 4-speed T-18 with 2.75 rear ratio too; with P225/75/R15 tires. :nabble_smiley_beam: It got better mileage with "real" gasoline though.

But I wouldn't recommend that high of a rear end ratio for anything above a F-150. :nabble_smiley_wink:

It's obtainable with a 300/I6 with a 4-speed T-18 with 2.75 rear ratio too; with P225/75/R15 tires. :nabble_smiley_beam: It got better mileage with "real" gasoline though.

But I wouldn't recommend that high of a rear end ratio for anything above a F-150. :nabble_smiley_wink:

David/F150Six got over 20 MPG a few times with his F150 and the 5-speed. I think he had 3.00 gears but I don't remember for sure. He said his son's F150 got better than that with something like 2.75 gears and the 5-speed but you couldn't go into fifth in a county with a hill higher than 2'. :nabble_smiley_wink: