Bullnose Forums

Help! My starters are noisy and keep burning out.

Hi,

I have a 84 351 HO F150. It had some teeth missing on the big chainring (not sure if that's what you call it) that the stater engages to and that caused several starters to fail after a while. So I had my mechanic replace the big chainring with a hardened one and redo all the seals while he had the engine apart. But even after the repair the starters are really noisy and clank before they engage.Once the starter engages everything is fine. But I just had another starter fail. I put in a additional electrical fuel pump so that the starter wouldn't have crank so much to get the fuel to the carb after the truck has been sitting for a while. But that clanking before it engages is probably not good for the started and it will fail again. My Mechanic is stumped he has never seen a problem like that, and he works on old classic cars all the time. So I wonder if any of you guys might have an Idea what I could do? The starters I have used came from NAPA and O'Reilly's.

Are there better more sturdy starters I could use? Has anybody here experienced the same thing?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a later model PMGR starter (1994 up) for your application (automatic or manual). If your mechanic replaced the flywheel ring gear and installed it backwards, that will cause a problem. The teeth are beveled to help the starter engage easily.

Some of the earlier models have straight teeth ring gears, so can be installed backwards or frontwards.

If your mechanic did not know about beveled ones, and that is what you have, then that would indeed be a problem if it's backward.

my son had a similar case but it was due to the guy at autozone selling him a manual starter for his e40d. the seemed to argue a bit over a week and i sent him the required part number. all he got from the autozone guy was "my bad". i could see myself going jekyl and hyde if i had been there

Get a later model PMGR starter (1994 up) for your application (automatic or manual). If your mechanic replaced the flywheel ring gear and installed it backwards, that will cause a problem. The teeth are beveled to help the starter engage easily.

I asked my Mechanic about the PMGR starter. He does not know what that is.

I'll bring my truck back to him tomorrow and he will take the starter out and look for the beveled teeth. When we replaced the ring gear because it had missing teeth.That used to burn out the starters. We used an upgraded hardened metal one. I was hoping this would take care of it. The truck sat on a friends property for a few years. I brought it to my house because I like the truck and I want to drive it more often. But the truck sounds awful when I start it. My mechanic also said that there are shims available that make the starter engage at a different angle. Do you guys know anything about that?

I asked my Mechanic about the PMGR starter. He does not know what that is.

I'll bring my truck back to him tomorrow and he will take the starter out and look for the beveled teeth. When we replaced the ring gear because it had missing teeth.That used to burn out the starters. We used an upgraded hardened metal one. I was hoping this would take care of it. The truck sat on a friends property for a few years. I brought it to my house because I like the truck and I want to drive it more often. But the truck sounds awful when I start it. My mechanic also said that there are shims available that make the starter engage at a different angle. Do you guys know anything about that?

I hate to say it, this may not be the right mechanic for this truck.

PMGR is a new type of starter that was used in later trucks and is pretty common upgrade. Not that I have done it - yet.

Post pics of the ring gear if you can.

I hate to say it, this may not be the right mechanic for this truck.

PMGR is a new type of starter that was used in later trucks and is pretty common upgrade. Not that I have done it - yet.

Post pics of the ring gear if you can.

So far my Mechanic has been great, He works on all kinds of classic cars. Jaguars to Mustangs an a bunch of different pickup trucks too. I like him and I trust him.He's honest and he admits when he doesn't know something.

These PGMR starters.... what does the PGMR stand for and what makes them different or better? And where can I get one that's right for my truck?

These PGMR starters.... what does the PGMR stand for and what makes them different or better?

"PMGR" means «permanent magnet gear reduction».

I was having the same question than you and found this interesting Motor Trend article.

There is an error in that article, Ford started PMGR starters on the 1990 Lincoln Town Car with the 5.0L (302) V8.