Bullnose Forums

Hagerty: 10 Of Our Favorite Ford V-8s

We cussed and discussed an article (5 Of The Best Engines Ever Put In A Ford Truck) by a Brit recently. But how about the article from Hagerty: 10 Of Our Favorite Ford V-8s. This one is by Brandan Gillogly, who has been around cars and engines for a long time, including there at Hagerty as well as Hot Rod.

See wha'cha think and let's kick it around.

I'm glad to see the 5.0/302 on the list...and of course it would be, I would have been very surprised if it wasn't. It's funny though...I don't really think of the 302 as a Windsor engine, but I guess it is. I'm also a big fan of the 351W...what an engine.

I did have a 239 Flathead engine for a while (before removing it and replacing it with a 302 lol). It was kinda neat and worked very well, but I didn't really fall in love with it like some folks do.

Love the Windsor Fords, as well as the Cleveland. There was no better looking engine made than the 351C, when dressed in aluminum valve covers. Even with steels it's a good looking powerplant, and makes great power. A little thirsty, though. With modern aftermarket alloy heads, the Windsors have hit their stride. For whatever reason, Ford never did engineer a good performance head for them; even the modern "GT40" heads are far inferior to a set of AFR or TFS heads.

I'm glad to see the 5.0/302 on the list...and of course it would be, I would have been very surprised if it wasn't. It's funny though...I don't really think of the 302 as a Windsor engine, but I guess it is. I'm also a big fan of the 351W...what an engine.

I did have a 239 Flathead engine for a while (before removing it and replacing it with a 302 lol). It was kinda neat and worked very well, but I didn't really fall in love with it like some folks do.

Yeah the 302 and 351 are both Windsor, it's why it was so easy to swap the 351 out in my 250 for a 306. Only thing I had to change was the flexplate because the new engine used the newer style.