Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special 'wheeling at Windrock

I think my screen name is appropriate for me:nabble_smiley_wink:

I got the video from this trip done. There's only one video from the entire trip since we didn't do an awful lot.

A few things to note through the video. Right at the start you hear Lesley's sorrow as we smacked the first mirror. Luckily only some minor cosmetic damage to the "back" side of the mirror (if the front is the reflective side).

Then at 1:06 you see what a perfect job she did snapping a still pic at exactly the right time! The first picture in the first post in this thread shows my front diff sitting on the ridge with both front tires in the air. In the video at 1:06 you see how short it stayed like that! And yes, that gave me a pit in my stomach until I was able to check and found no real damage!

At 1:46 I hit a rock with my rear diff as I was climbing an obstacle. I backed up and got around it, only to set the diff on top of the rock! That left me with both back tires in the air, for the first of several winch-outs.

And speaking of winch-outs, that one (at 3:17) went really easily, but I was surprised how hard it was to winch over the ledge I was stuck on at 10:05. The cause is pretty apparent in the video, but I didn't notice until I went to turn my front locker off after getting everything put away. Turns out it was already off! I'd turned it off to try to free up the steering so I could get the wheels pointed straight (you can see that fight before 10:05 in the video). And then I forgot to turn it back on. I always promise myself that I won't be "that guy", but I broke that promise. If the locker had been engaged the right front tire would've been turning and it would've climbed the ledge rather than just being pulled into it by the winch. Oh well, maybe I learned that lesson now.

I got the video from this trip done. There's only one video from the entire trip since we didn't do an awful lot.

A few things to note through the video. Right at the start you hear Lesley's sorrow as we smacked the first mirror. Luckily only some minor cosmetic damage to the "back" side of the mirror (if the front is the reflective side).

Then at 1:06 you see what a perfect job she did snapping a still pic at exactly the right time! The first picture in the first post in this thread shows my front diff sitting on the ridge with both front tires in the air. In the video at 1:06 you see how short it stayed like that! And yes, that gave me a pit in my stomach until I was able to check and found no real damage!

At 1:46 I hit a rock with my rear diff as I was climbing an obstacle. I backed up and got around it, only to set the diff on top of the rock! That left me with both back tires in the air, for the first of several winch-outs.

And speaking of winch-outs, that one (at 3:17) went really easily, but I was surprised how hard it was to winch over the ledge I was stuck on at 10:05. The cause is pretty apparent in the video, but I didn't notice until I went to turn my front locker off after getting everything put away. Turns out it was already off! I'd turned it off to try to free up the steering so I could get the wheels pointed straight (you can see that fight before 10:05 in the video). And then I forgot to turn it back on. I always promise myself that I won't be "that guy", but I broke that promise. If the locker had been engaged the right front tire would've been turning and it would've climbed the ledge rather than just being pulled into it by the winch. Oh well, maybe I learned that lesson now.

Bob, looking at your pictures I can imagine the special trip it could be.

But looking at the movie, hard feelings, my heart can't stop bleeding on hearing at each grind, creak and squeak!

:nabble_smiley_scared:

Bob, looking at your pictures I can imagine the special trip it could be.

But looking at the movie, hard feelings, my heart can't stop bleeding on hearing at each grind, creak and squeak!

:nabble_smiley_scared:

I've told this before, but once when I was coming off a trail in Moab someone asked me "What does it take to 'wheel a collectible vehicle?" My answer? "Don't think it's collectible!" I paid $6000 for Pluto (a LONG time ago!) for the purpose of building him into a good compromise daily driver, family Dairy Queen run and as serious rock crawling as I could do given the other requirements. I've pretty much nailed my original goals, so I'm going to use him! I try to be relatively nice to him, but this is why I have him!

I've told this before, but once when I was coming off a trail in Moab someone asked me "What does it take to 'wheel a collectible vehicle?" My answer? "Don't think it's collectible!" I paid $6000 for Pluto (a LONG time ago!) for the purpose of building him into a good compromise daily driver, family Dairy Queen run and as serious rock crawling as I could do given the other requirements. I've pretty much nailed my original goals, so I'm going to use him! I try to be relatively nice to him, but this is why I have him!

You're right, I share your point of view about the fact that a truck that lives as a museum piece should go... in a museum.

:nabble_smiley_good:

And I am sure that Pluto is more than happy to take a rough ride in this kind of trails, with his Master!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

496813F2-4565-4C3B-9607-EBE41B390542.png.e60bf2530a8a26f84f74e59702889725.png

Sorry to take so long to reply, but I've been busy at the church building.

Anyway, I appreciate the video as I can get my serious rock-climbing fix vicariously. :nabble_smiley_oh:

No way, Jose, would I attempt that. Not that I'm too worried about hitting a mirror, but those rocks and trees sticking out to crease the side of the truck are just too worrying! And the tracks are way too narrow for Big Blue.

Lesley is getting really good at the camera work. That video is great. However, in one segment it doesn't show you connecting the winch and the winch cable isn't easily seen, so it does get a little amazing how Pluto gets over some of those rocks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Seriously though, it really is amazing how you and it can do it. And even though I can see how having the front locker engaged would have helped when winching, it was still remarkable how well you do. :nabble_anim_claps:

And I agree with the idea that it isn't a museum piece. Use it! (I just don't want to use it to quite that length.)

Sorry to take so long to reply, but I've been busy at the church building.

Anyway, I appreciate the video as I can get my serious rock-climbing fix vicariously. :nabble_smiley_oh:

No way, Jose, would I attempt that. Not that I'm too worried about hitting a mirror, but those rocks and trees sticking out to crease the side of the truck are just too worrying! And the tracks are way too narrow for Big Blue.

Lesley is getting really good at the camera work. That video is great. However, in one segment it doesn't show you connecting the winch and the winch cable isn't easily seen, so it does get a little amazing how Pluto gets over some of those rocks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Seriously though, it really is amazing how you and it can do it. And even though I can see how having the front locker engaged would have helped when winching, it was still remarkable how well you do. :nabble_anim_claps:

And I agree with the idea that it isn't a museum piece. Use it! (I just don't want to use it to quite that length.)

What, you mean you have a life outside of this board??? Seriously, no apologies needed.

This is actually Lesley's first time using her cell phone instead of a video camera and an SLR still camera. She got a new cell phone last winter with the intent of getting a good camera so she could quit lugging the SLR around. She's really liking the ability to tap the screen and get a still picture in the middle of taking a video (that's how she got the picture with the diff sitting on the ridge, but in all honesty, catching it that perfectly was mostly luck, she didn't know what was going to happen, just that it was looking like a good picture). There was a bit of a learning curve as she didn't get any useable video or pictures on our first obstacle, but she did great on everything after that!

And I mentioned this above, before I had posted the video, but these trails definitely pushed my comfort zone too! I don't want to be dragging Pluto's mirrors on the ground ever again if I can help it!

What, you mean you have a life outside of this board??? Seriously, no apologies needed.

This is actually Lesley's first time using her cell phone instead of a video camera and an SLR still camera. She got a new cell phone last winter with the intent of getting a good camera so she could quit lugging the SLR around. She's really liking the ability to tap the screen and get a still picture in the middle of taking a video (that's how she got the picture with the diff sitting on the ridge, but in all honesty, catching it that perfectly was mostly luck, she didn't know what was going to happen, just that it was looking like a good picture). There was a bit of a learning curve as she didn't get any useable video or pictures on our first obstacle, but she did great on everything after that!

And I mentioned this above, before I had posted the video, but these trails definitely pushed my comfort zone too! I don't want to be dragging Pluto's mirrors on the ground ever again if I can help it!

We have some county roads like this in the mountains here. Haven't seen a serious road crew in 50 years etc... The county still fights to keep them open for 4 wheeling though.

Loved the video. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for not wanting to abuse you vehicles I agree. Know the vehicles limitations, respect that, and the vehicle will give you years of service and fun memories. :nabble_anim_handshake: