Bullnose Forums

Last chance for success

Hey everyone 👋

I’m new to the forum and unfortunately on my last nerve with this project I picked up. Originally it was not supposed to be a daily driver but life happened and it ended up being my only vehicle.

Let me introduce Princess Diana:

IMG_6960.jpeg.e3164a6327e65598580e69e309bcdad3.jpeg

1982 F350 4spd manual, 351 Windsor, dually

Aka frankentruck.

When I picked her up she had the jankiest drivetrain, knowing full well I would have to replace it, about 3 weeks the old backyard welded one finally snapped. I have been working with a shop to get a custom manufactured shaft that fits. While in the process of this I realize the drivetrain is not the correct one for this truck. It just so happens that the total drivetrain is from what looks like a long bed f150.

Needless to say the driveshaft had to be perfectly fit to this weird truck. After two adjustments I was able to get everything settled in their happy home.

It was time to test drive er. I’ll admit I have a hard time reaching the clutch all the way, this truck was not built for someone under 5’8” and I fall short… literally. When turning around (luckily in my driveway) I felt the truck lurch, slam and stall. The driveshaft had disconnected yet again.

This last time I was under there I noticed there is a broken piece from the yoke and I’m not sure if this is the cause of the shaft disconnecting. How reasonable is it to replace the yoke?

I’m understandably frustrated and mostly confused how to even go forward. I’ve gotten to the point that I think this project is bigger than me! I’ve considered selling the truck, parting the truck, and obviously fixing the truck. But can’t decide.

I’d love to hear some suggestions and advice from y’all. Could it have disconnected because it was misaligned? Is my driveshaft too “tight”? Am I the problem? (Yes😂)

I'm laughing and crying at the same time. "I fall short - literally. Am I the problem? (Yes😂)"

A wise man once said "A man's got to know his limitations", and it appears to me that you are questioning yours. And that is wise.

But we will happily help you work through this if you have the time. Let's take things one at a time. Post a pic of what's broken on the yoke. Yokes can be replaced, so maybe that's the place to start?

And, see the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's for how to post pics.

I'm laughing and crying at the same time. "I fall short - literally. Am I the problem? (Yes😂)"

A wise man once said "A man's got to know his limitations", and it appears to me that you are questioning yours. And that is wise.

But we will happily help you work through this if you have the time. Let's take things one at a time. Post a pic of what's broken on the yoke. Yokes can be replaced, so maybe that's the place to start?

And, see the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's for how to post pics.

Thanks Gary, it’s been a wild time with her in the 8 short weeks I’ve had her.

Here’s said yoke:

IMG_6957.jpeg.63c1e42b0a394cccffe125317c4bdba0.jpeg

Thanks Gary, it’s been a wild time with her in the 8 short weeks I’ve had her.

Here’s said yoke:

Here’s the other side for comparison, there is a small tab in the second side. The tab in the first picture has been shared off.

IMG_6959.jpeg.edb2d4caa5a04850a652c0653bed6eb0.jpeg

Here’s the other side for comparison, there is a small tab in the second side. The tab in the first picture has been shared off.

I see what you are saying. The tab is there to ensure the bearing cap of the u-joint can't come out of the yoke. But if I remember correctly the bearing cap sits in a recess so regardless of the tab it cannot come out if properly installed. Is there a recess that the cap sits into?

I see what you are saying. The tab is there to ensure the bearing cap of the u-joint can't come out of the yoke. But if I remember correctly the bearing cap sits in a recess so regardless of the tab it cannot come out if properly installed. Is there a recess that the cap sits into?

Gary, that looks like it is the rear axle yoke, which at least isn't too terrible to replace. It should be a Dana axle on a 1982. Maybe a U-joint with internal retaining snap rings would at least keep them in place.

Gary, that looks like it is the rear axle yoke, which at least isn't too terrible to replace. It should be a Dana axle on a 1982. Maybe a U-joint with internal retaining snap rings would at least keep them in place.

The “not fun to change” part is the part that trips me up.

I don’t have the knowledge to necessarily do this 😬

I wouldn’t say it’s a recess, the tan is the only real way, besides the bolts, that I can see that the caps will stay put.

When the shaft disconnected the bolt cap did come off. That is mainly why I’m thinking it’s from the tab?

I wouldn’t say it’s a recess, the tan is the only real way, besides the bolts, that I can see that the caps will stay put.

When the shaft disconnected the bolt cap did come off. That is mainly why I’m thinking it’s from the tab?

Can you show us a closeup of the yoke from directly ahead of it?