Bullnose Forums

The Lost Art of Choke Adjustment (Article)

I saved this article years ago, and just found it again on my PC. It is a great article to read if you have a carburetor and are wondering how to properly set the choke:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-lost-art-of-choke-adjustment

Approximately 25 years ago, when electronic fuel injection started showing up on new cars, one of its selling points was the elimination of cold-start issues blamed on the carburetor. That mindset always confused me: All of my carburetor-equipped vehicles started and ran flawlessly, regardless of the weather or ambient temperature. But there was a caveat attached to that reliability: The choke had to be adjusted properly, and the manufacturers never pointed this out when talking about EFI versus carburetion. In its rush to move to EFI, the auto industry was throwing the faithful carburetor under the tires of the proverbial bus, and for no good reason.

Good article each carbed vehicle owner should read.

Personally, I learned the basics when completing my pilot license with the Air Cadets (long time ago), but Cessnas and Pipers had manual "carb heat" and "mixture lean/rich".

And my Renault 5 had manual choke.

If only to understand the bimetallic coil spring, this article made me a bit more intelligent.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Rick, thanks for sharing it!

:nabble_anim_handshake: