Bullnose Forums

Smokey Yunick

The best automotive cheat I ever saw was the European celica team in 1995.

When everything was apart it looked like a regulation restrictor plate, but when tightened down it opened a 5mm gap all around which could be as much as a 50 hp gain in a 300hp limited class.

Sounds like Gurney was a class act.

But that trick that the Celica team tried was truly cheating. It is one thing to read the rule book closely to find things that weren't expected, but that was against the rules.

Sounds like Gurney was a class act.

But that trick that the Celica team tried was truly cheating. It is one thing to read the rule book closely to find things that weren't expected, but that was against the rules.

Go back to Smokey Yunick "it ain't cheatin if you don't get caught".

Go back to Smokey Yunick "it ain't cheatin if you don't get caught".

I remember going by Frank Hawleys trailer in the pits at a drag race.

He had a sign on the door that said something like this, (my memory is faltering!)

More blower, less clutch

More clutch, less blower

More blower, more clutch

Less blower, less clutch

Cheat!

Did you see the 3/4 scale Monte Carlo he built? Genius not cheater! Should have received trophy for that. CJ

I need to reword my question, “Did you see the 3/4 scale Monte Carlo”, to is it true that he did ? CJ

I need to reword my question, “Did you see the 3/4 scale Monte Carlo”, to is it true that he did ? CJ

Never saw that one, but Chevrolet got away with all sorts of things in NASCAR.

1963 - Mystery 427, supposed to have 50 of them, there were 25, moved from shop to shop and repainted.

1963 - Ford shows up at Daytona with the 427 High Riser engine, dual Holley carbs and teardrop hood "scoop" with air inlet screens on the back. NASCAR bans multiple carburetors

1965 - Plymouth and Dodge show up with 2nd generation Hemi, fast as all getout, I don't seem to recall them having any issue with selling them to the public, try to find a Mystery 427 Chevy engine

1969 - Ford shows up with the Boss 429 running a single Holley 4500 Dominator, Carburetor throttle size limit added, Ford allowed to run as built 1 year.

Circa 1980s? - All the big 3 drop there mid size RWD platforms, GM immediately allowed to run the Lumina, Ford the Taurus with lots of protests from Chevy teams, Chrysler, no suitable FWD car aerodynamic enough other than the Imperial, Chrysler teams had to buy, gut and rebuild with no assistance from Chrysler.

Every time something impacts the Chevies, Hendrick, Childress and in the past Joe Gibbs would scream until they got their way. Now with Toyota running, only Chevrolet still has a pretty well "production" pushrod V8, the Roush engine that all the Ford teams pretty well use, is very loosely based on the 351C as their only pushrod V8 is the 7.3 liter "Godzilla" truck engine, and Toyota never had a pushrod V8, just some nice DOHC 5.7L ones in the Tundra.

NASCAR does seem to have finally gotten rid of the bump drafting and long strings of cars on the super speedways, I watched the World 600 and it was actual racing, and no where near the carnage that used to happen with the restrictor plates and carburetors.