Bullnose Forums

"Youngster" with a '81 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat

Hello everybody I'm new here (and to any other forums also) I'm 15 and I've got a '81 F-150 XLT Lariat on my hands that needs to be put back together, It's got the 5 liter windsor V8 under the hood but the only thing on it is from the bottom of the oil pan up to the air intake and valve covers, I have taken apart several newer cars before but have never tinkered on or fixed anything older then '93 so i do have basic mechanical knowledge, but not enough to fix something, any pointers of where i should start?

20230531_132129.jpg.4b2665a456cb6d2a4052fa45748453f8.jpg

20230531_151249.jpg.a88e9ce2caeca93a8412abf1f4d8a93e.jpg

20230531_151652.jpg.1b6795e1492e37b4e526c33654b811c6.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined the forum and glad you posted here. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Let's do one of the newbie things here before talking about the truck. Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip. We don't put the pin where you actually live as we don't want unexpected guests. But you might be near one of us that could help with your project.

As for the truck, you have a LOT of work on your hands. But you've come to the right place as we know these trucks and are happy to help.

I'd start by cleaning everything out. The passenger's floorboard has lots of things you may want, but pull the things out and post some pics so we can ID them. I see the speed control servo, accessory brackets for the engine, the cooling fan, and radio bezel in there.

Also, a pic of the driver's inner fender will let us ID the ignition module. Or you can check to see if it has a blue grommet where the wires come out. Ford color-coded the modules via the grommet and the color will let us know what you have.

But, I highly recommend that you create a signature so we know what we are working on. We like to help, but with 2000 members worldwide we can't remember what your truck has on it, so please include the transmission, engine, year, etc. You can see how to do that on the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQs.

Welcome! Glad you joined the forum and glad you posted here. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Let's do one of the newbie things here before talking about the truck. Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip. We don't put the pin where you actually live as we don't want unexpected guests. But you might be near one of us that could help with your project.

As for the truck, you have a LOT of work on your hands. But you've come to the right place as we know these trucks and are happy to help.

I'd start by cleaning everything out. The passenger's floorboard has lots of things you may want, but pull the things out and post some pics so we can ID them. I see the speed control servo, accessory brackets for the engine, the cooling fan, and radio bezel in there.

Also, a pic of the driver's inner fender will let us ID the ignition module. Or you can check to see if it has a blue grommet where the wires come out. Ford color-coded the modules via the grommet and the color will let us know what you have.

But, I highly recommend that you create a signature so we know what we are working on. We like to help, but with 2000 members worldwide we can't remember what your truck has on it, so please include the transmission, engine, year, etc. You can see how to do that on the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQs.

My zip code is 23882, and where on the fender would i find the grommet

My zip code is 23882, and where on the fender would i find the grommet

Welcome to the forum.

The colored grommet will be located on the ignition module itself. The module is bolted on the top of the driver's side inner fender apron.

The grommet is going to be either Blue or yellow or brown, depending on which Duraspark module you have.

Welcome to the forum.

The colored grommet will be located on the ignition module itself. The module is bolted on the top of the driver's side inner fender apron.

The grommet is going to be either Blue or yellow or brown, depending on which Duraspark module you have.

There's the ignition module

20230601_114821.jpg.4f7fc4d10c2e825e11e9d695f0f55a86.jpg

There's the ignition module

assuming that there is not too much rust you should have a great base for a good build. I love seeing young men getting their hands on stuff like this. girls too. I'm not insensitive! anyway, glad you joined and hopefully you get all the coaching you need here glad to help if I can. did I see that you are in va.? im just south in central nc.