Bullnose Forums

Junkyard Musings and Questions...

Rembrant

The 4500 RPM tach is the one I have in my truck. The 3500 RPM is Diesel only. The instruments are interchangeable, but the cluster is shaped differently down where the steering column is.

The door panels and dash pads look good.

Don't forget the "A" pillar moldings as they are being sought by many.

Since the gas one is automatic, you might want to look at the floor mat. If not worn, it might be a candidate for a swap into your truck?

So you can't use the whole cluster together, but you can the individual gauges? Or?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can't use the whole cluster together, but you can the individual gauges? Or?

Jonathan stated that the medium duty cluster does not work in the smaller trucks... and the shape is different where the steering column passes through.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-E4HZ-60044D70-A-Dash-Gauge-Cluster-Trim-Panel-1984-Ford-F600-F700/182905575930?epid=1154497271&hash=item2a960599fa:g:ny0AAOSwHNxaDg5J:rk:8:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-1980-1986-Truck-Pickup-Dash-Bezel-F150-1981-1982-1983-1984-1985-nos/401430999136?epid=1227921734&hash=item5d7726f060:g:4KQAAOSwOyFZzAlQ

So, am I going to be able to use that under-the-column bezel? And, do I need the bracket that is behind it?

Under-Column_Bezel_Illustration.thumb.jpg.5d7861aba58c8fe4e83c8e466cadac79.jpg

So, am I going to be able to use that under-the-column bezel? And, do I need the bracket that is behind it?

I thought that the instrument clusters were the same dimensions, but that the bezels were different, no?

I believe you are correct, Cory. My terminology might not be the best.

The 4500 RPM tach is the one I have in my truck. The 3500 RPM is Diesel only. The instruments are interchangeable, but the cluster is shaped differently down where the steering column is.

The door panels and dash pads look good.

Don't forget the "A" pillar moldings as they are being sought by many.

Since the gas one is automatic, you might want to look at the floor mat. If not worn, it might be a candidate for a swap into your truck?

Yes, the door panels are in decent condition for their age...I did notice that, but forgot about the rest of the parts. Something that did occur to me after the fact, was whether either of these trucks had intermittent wipers....that is something I must check when I go back.

IMG_6356.jpg.89399b569bc6c1ca5d24b2bd6991be59.jpg

IMG_6353.jpg

Notice that the needles on this cluster are all still orange? Being a fire truck, this thing probably spent 95% of it's life parked indoors. I think I'm going to grab this one just to have as a spare in case I buy that truck I've been looking at (or a different one later) with a 300/6.

IMG_6353.jpg

Notice that the needles on this cluster are all still orange? Being a fire truck, this thing probably spent 95% of it's life parked indoors. I think I'm going to grab this one just to have as a spare in case I buy that truck I've been looking at (or a different one later) with a 300/6.

Never hurts to have spares. That thing looks to have lots of goodies.

I don't know, Gary. I once thought so and thought about mounting a gauge, there.

I believe Jonathan will have a definitive answer.

Hopefully I will answer everyone’s questions...

The cluster itself will interchange (white shell is the same). The circuit films are the same, even the ones with electric speedometer. The 1980 medium duty have the green film and different indicator light pinning just like the light pickups.

The later medium duty had an electronic 75 mph speedometer. I don’t know if there is a way to make this work with a tone ring rear end, but that might be a project for someone who is good with electronics.

5015BCFA-AE7D-4C4D-87D1-42601BC86FD3.jpeg.9d09405104558b9a1b615a306bc2e63d.jpeg

790040E6-83BD-4BB3-89D6-B21FF4877675.jpeg.2ab3658dc4eda766fb49d83cbe0cab66.jpeg

The trim piece below the steering column does not fit our trucks. The column axis is slightly shifted and the opening is longer on the Medium duty trucks. Trent is modifying one to fit, but it requires cutting and gluing plastic, fabricating a mount for the cable pull plate etc., it’s anything but a direct bolt-in, and generally too small for gauges.