Bullnose Forums

Junkyard Musings and Questions...

Rembrant

Sounds like you made a haul. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the ignition box, why put it behind the seat? I mounted my spare directly above the in-service module. Can't find the pic but can take one tomorrow. However, I used longer machine screws than needed to mount the original box, and came up from below so the extra screw length stuck above the box. Then I ran long connector nuts onto the extra screw length, placed the spare box on top of the nuts, and ran screws through the spare box into the connector nuts.

That way the box is ready in case the original fails, and all you have to do is swap the plugs.

On the reservoir, post some pics.

Excellent idea!

For my long distance motorcycle rides, I long ago learned to zip-tie a fresh clutch cable to the existing one to connect it without having to remove the tank and thread it on the side of the highway.

I don't know why I didn't think of that for the IgM's. Thanks!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent idea!

For my long distance motorcycle rides, I long ago learned to zip-tie a fresh clutch cable to the existing one to connect it without having to remove the tank and thread it on the side of the highway.

I've actually seen a picture of the stacked ignition module installation. Mr. Reamer on here showed it to me when we met up for lunch a while back. It IS a great idea.

Excellent idea!

I've actually seen a picture of the stacked ignition module installation. Mr. Reamer on here showed it to me when we met up for lunch a while back. It IS a great idea.

I posted a pic of it some time back, but can't find it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

David/1986F150Six has one of those cold air ducts. He was trying to sell it at the show but didn't, so contact him.

Hey Gary,

Can you confirm that the air duct David has is the same as the one for my 1984 as pictured?

I have the Ford numbers from David's duct, but I don't have mine to compare to at the moment. (I'm at work).

David/1986F150Six has one of those cold air ducts. He was trying to sell it at the show but didn't, so contact him.

Hey Gary,

Can you confirm that the air duct David has is the same as the one for my 1984 as pictured?

I have the Ford numbers from David's duct, but I don't have mine to compare to at the moment. (I'm at work).

Gary,

E5TE-90675-FA & E3TE-90675-DC

Gary,

E5TE-90675-FA & E3TE-90675-DC

David - Thanks.

Rembrant - Take David's #'s to Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners/Air Cleaner Tube #'s and look in the Description column. (The number on the part is an ID or engineering # that is frequently listed in Description.) And you'll see that E5TE-FA is for an 85/86 351W 4bbl F250/350 with a GVWR over 8500#. Plus E3TE-DC fits 300, 302, 351, and 460 between 1983 & 87.

I actually went back to the Pick N Pull today for an extended lunch break...lol. Doesn't everybody go to the junkyard for lunch?...

I grabbed a hydraulic clutch pedal(s) assembly. It was just a few bucks. If I don't end up using it on a future manual trans conversion (or hydraulic clutch conversion), then it will simply be spare parts for the '84. I also grabbed another yoke for the M5OD 5spd, and some other miscellaneous hardware, bolts, etc.

IMG_5507.jpg.b3739b5217aa866d3a8b065ab2ff9bf0.jpg

Another item I decided to grab was the plastic guard on the steering box input shaft. This is a nice little black 2pc jobbie, with a bottom plate that fits on the steering box, then the guard fits on the bottom plate. I hadn't seen this style before. The one in my '84 is grey, and is just like a loose upside down bucket that is a real pain to move around because it jams against the frame. (Is my grey one a non-Bullnose piece, or are the both Bullnose pieces from different years?)

IMG_5508.jpg.665055738571988c1e535efe42a82c1a.jpg

I actually went back to the Pick N Pull today for an extended lunch break...lol. Doesn't everybody go to the junkyard for lunch?...

I grabbed a hydraulic clutch pedal(s) assembly. It was just a few bucks. If I don't end up using it on a future manual trans conversion (or hydraulic clutch conversion), then it will simply be spare parts for the '84. I also grabbed another yoke for the M5OD 5spd, and some other miscellaneous hardware, bolts, etc.

Another item I decided to grab was the plastic guard on the steering box input shaft. This is a nice little black 2pc jobbie, with a bottom plate that fits on the steering box, then the guard fits on the bottom plate. I hadn't seen this style before. The one in my '84 is grey, and is just like a loose upside down bucket that is a real pain to move around because it jams against the frame. (Is my grey one a non-Bullnose piece, or are the both Bullnose pieces from different years?)

If you convert a truck to a hydro clutch I'd recommend using a firewall brace. The Bullnose firewalls were designed for the forces created with a mechanical linkage and are known to flex and may ultimately crack when subjected to the forces from a hydraulic clutch. Ford came out with a reinforcement plate back in the 80's due to that problem, as described in this TSB, but it isn't easily found anymore. However, Terrapin Mfg has one that'll fit our trucks, and I think it is cheap insurance when doing the conversion.

As for the plastic guard, I've never seen a gray one. All the ones I've seen are black. Perhaps the gray one is from a later truck or is aftermarket, I don't know. But it looks like you have a good one with which to replace it. :nabble_smiley_good:

If you convert a truck to a hydro clutch I'd recommend using a firewall brace.

As for the plastic guard, I've never seen a gray one. All the ones I've seen are black. Perhaps the gray one is from a later truck or is aftermarket, I don't know. But it looks like you have a good one with which to replace it. :nabble_smiley_good:

I actually installed a Terrapin brace in my 1984 when I installed the new clutch master and line, etc. My truck also had the smaller of the two Ford repair braces installed previously...I assume through Ford as part of the TSB some 30 years ago...I dunno really. That Terrapin brace is a lovely piece, well made and plenty strong for the job. I had a bit of an issue with mine as it didn't fit the contours of my cab perfectly. I ended up cutting the angle portion off and then welded it back on at a slightly different angle/location. In any case, it's rock solid now.

Edit: Part of my interest in having these parts on hand is that I'm casually looking for another Bullnose project, and having the parts required for a manual trans swap really opens up my options. Back when I was looking for the truck that I have now, finding one with a manual trans was tough. Furthermore, there seems to be way more early Bullnose trucks for sale up here than later, so finding a complete 84-86 truck or parts truck is not nearly as easy as finding, lets say, a 1980-1981. When I search across the country, there's usually lots of 1980-1982 trucks, and then they taper down hard from there. Most of the time, I don't find any 1985-1986 trucks.

Interesting on the plastic guard for the steering box input shaft. I assume then that mine is from a different vehicle...I dunno. I'll take some pictures of it when I swap them out, which won't happen until I get my new RedHead steering gear and new steering shaft (later this fall I hope).