Bullnose Forums

Junkyard Musings and Questions...

Rembrant

I must have walked past this truck below a half a dozen times, and I had been kind of ignoring it because it had "1995" written on the front fender. I happened to see it from a different angle this morning, and thought that the headlight looked like a Bricknose light...and then I noticed that the 5 had been crossed and it was now listed as a 1991. The certification label is missing, so I can't tell for 100% what year the thing is.

The reason I'm curious that I'd grab the cowl panel off of it. If it IS a Bricknose, the cowl panel will fit, right?

Can anybody confirm?

IMG_5888.jpg.7389a20fab1f2c568244d60a79d48150.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg.7f3b8fe0e40f6eba16386cee110739d3.jpg

IMG_5890.jpg.6eadbf919206c5ebf6006b8eef76531d.jpg

There is also another truck there, listed as a 1992, and with a certification label of 12-91. The cowl panel looks to be exactly the same as the other one. (Both trucks are from the same company, and both painted the same silver).

IMG_5891.jpg.816ee94cbacdfae8f7e4ffb2b864cf5e.jpg

Will the 1992 panel fit?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have walked past this truck below a half a dozen times, and I had been kind of ignoring it because it had "1995" written on the front fender. I happened to see it from a different angle this morning, and thought that the headlight looked like a Bricknose light...and then I noticed that the 5 had been crossed and it was now listed as a 1991. The certification label is missing, so I can't tell for 100% what year the thing is.

The reason I'm curious that I'd grab the cowl panel off of it. If it IS a Bricknose, the cowl panel will fit, right?

Can anybody confirm?

There is also another truck there, listed as a 1992, and with a certification label of 12-91. The cowl panel looks to be exactly the same as the other one. (Both trucks are from the same company, and both painted the same silver).

Will the 1992 panel fit?

I don't know, but I'm interested. I would like to put one on my truck.

My Bronco has this style of course, much better.

Center Caps - Lesson Learned

'Was at the yard this morning. They are down to a single Bullnose, and it's picked pretty clean. Next to it was a 93 with 4WD and some shiny front center caps.

I took them home, but the openings are too small to fit over the front hubs of my 82.

Likely others know this, but it was news to me.

'Was at the yard this morning. They are down to a single Bullnose, and it's picked pretty clean. Next to it was a 93 with 4WD and some shiny front center caps.

I took them home, but the openings are too small to fit over the front hubs of my 82.

Yes, the cowl should fit. It is a nice upgrade to keep leaves and other debris out. Doesn't look exactly right, but does a better job.

Big Blue is sporting one of the polka-dot cowls, but Dad's truck will keep the slotted one with plastic screen glued under it.

As for the center caps, I certainly wasn't aware that the later ones were smaller. How much smaller?

Were the caps by any chance 2wd ones with the center disc removed?

The certification label is missing, so I can't tell for 100% what year the thing is.
Read the 10th digit of the VIN, or the VECI label (under the hood somewhere) has the year in plain text. This caption gives a few other locations for build dates:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72354/thumbnail/doorsticker.jpg

If it IS a Bricknose, the cowl panel will fit, right?
Yes.
Will the 1992 panel fit?
No.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/71676/thumbnail/wiper-valance-2.jpg

...a 93 with 4WD and some shiny front center caps.

The hub snout is the same size on all 1/2-ton D44IFSs ('80-96). It might be larger on an early D44IFSHD, and it's almost certainly larger on a D50IFS.

That's possible, but not if the caps were on a 4WD truck to begin with. The 4WD caps have a straight axial lip around the hub snout. The rear caps (2WD fronts) have a stepped lip for the center discs to be glued to.

Yes, the cowl should fit. It is a nice upgrade to keep leaves and other debris out. Doesn't look exactly right, but does a better job.

Big Blue is sporting one of the polka-dot cowls, but Dad's truck will keep the slotted one with plastic screen glued under it.

As for the center caps, I certainly wasn't aware that the later ones were smaller. How much smaller?

Do you have a thread on this? I might try this.

Do you have a thread on this? I might try this.

I don't think there's a thread on gluing the plastic screen on. In fact, I haven't done it yet. But, my buddy John, the paint and body man, has done it on other trucks. I'll get with him to get the details and get back with you.

I don't think there's a thread on gluing the plastic screen on. In fact, I haven't done it yet. But, my buddy John, the paint and body man, has done it on other trucks. I'll get with him to get the details and get back with you.

Thank you!

I cleaned it out this summer and already it's piling up in there! I sweep it off and reach and grab stuff but, boy it doesn't seem to take long to get debris in there.

I'll do something to try to stop it, or make it an annual clean up. I was thinking I could blow it down the sides and get in from the cab again.

The certification label is missing, so I can't tell for 100% what year the thing is.
Read the 10th digit of the VIN, or the VECI label (under the hood somewhere) has the year in plain text. This caption gives a few other locations for build dates:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72354/thumbnail/doorsticker.jpg

If it IS a Bricknose, the cowl panel will fit, right?
Yes.
Will the 1992 panel fit?
No.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/71676/thumbnail/wiper-valance-2.jpg

...a 93 with 4WD and some shiny front center caps.

The hub snout is the same size on all 1/2-ton D44IFSs ('80-96). It might be larger on an early D44IFSHD, and it's almost certainly larger on a D50IFS.

That's possible, but not if the caps were on a 4WD truck to begin with. The 4WD caps have a straight axial lip around the hub snout. The rear caps (2WD fronts) have a stepped lip for the center discs to be glued to.

Here's a pic. Indeed, there is a "lip" (the '93 is on the left).

I wasn't paying close attention, but would auto-locking hubs be smaller in diameter?

Anyhow, if anyone can use this, it's free for the cost of shipping. I cracked the other one trying to punch the lip out.center_covers.jpg.2584b006032fcea6a43e2ad0d4dd0ecc.jpg