Bullnose Forums

Introduction

Hello,

I am building a 1986 Ford F-350 dually 4x4 flatbed 460. It's an old farm truck I want to make into an adventure vehicle. It's currently in the shop getting all the kinks worked out with the engine and I will be putting an Edelbrock performer intake and 1915 4 barrel carb on it. I want to lift it and get new shoes and restoring the interior as I go. I am looking for lift advice and any information on upgrading the interior, etc and just general communication as I go. Thanks for having me.IMG_0390.jpeg.fe4307c301bc46d394f8d5e6e0e34ad7.jpeg

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Nice truck. An '86 F350 4wd should have the D60 solid axle up front, which is a huge improvement over the leaf-sprung TTB's in my opinion. So it is a good base for what you are doing.

But it is already pretty high. Don't know what tires you have on it, but it looks like they are pretty close to the 33's I have on Big Blue, below, and you can see that we have similar clearance to the fender. My clearance in front comes from going with a D6 and SuperDuty springs with a Sky Offroad reverse shackle kit. And the clearance in the rear comes from going with the 4" blocks on the axle instead of the 2" blocks the F250 came with. But yours probably already has the 4" blocks.

Is there a winch in that front bumper?

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

RF_From_Low.thumb.jpg.dbf8c142ceb7d286ccd6a212fc12082b.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Nice truck. An '86 F350 4wd should have the D60 solid axle up front, which is a huge improvement over the leaf-sprung TTB's in my opinion. So it is a good base for what you are doing.

But it is already pretty high. Don't know what tires you have on it, but it looks like they are pretty close to the 33's I have on Big Blue, below, and you can see that we have similar clearance to the fender. My clearance in front comes from going with a D6 and SuperDuty springs with a Sky Offroad reverse shackle kit. And the clearance in the rear comes from going with the 4" blocks on the axle instead of the 2" blocks the F250 came with. But yours probably already has the 4" blocks.

Is there a winch in that front bumper?

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

Thank you for the response!

I will have to get out the camera and take a look at everything when I get it back, hopefully next week, to get the tire sizes and pictures of the suspension setup.

I am looking at 235/85R16's AT to get it rolling without breaking the bank on 6 tires.

There is a winch in the front bumper but I need to replace it, also a fifth wheel hitch in the bed as well with a tow bar.

We are in Southern Utah and want to get out into the beauty with it.

very good looking truck btw.

Thank you for the response!

I will have to get out the camera and take a look at everything when I get it back, hopefully next week, to get the tire sizes and pictures of the suspension setup.

I am looking at 235/85R16's AT to get it rolling without breaking the bank on 6 tires.

There is a winch in the front bumper but I need to replace it, also a fifth wheel hitch in the bed as well with a tow bar.

We are in Southern Utah and want to get out into the beauty with it.

very good looking truck btw.

I put your lollipop in St. George as you didn't say what town, but it is easy enough to drag it elsewhere if you'd like.

My tires are 33" and the 235/85R16 are said to be 32" so you shouldn't have any problems with clearance.

Thanks.

I put your lollipop in St. George as you didn't say what town, but it is easy enough to drag it elsewhere if you'd like.

My tires are 33" and the 235/85R16 are said to be 32" so you shouldn't have any problems with clearance.

Thanks.

Cedar City, apologies, I usually do not put out location on the internet

• 2 months later...

Welcome,

That looks like it could be a great adventure vehicle.

Hello again, I have so far purchased the Edelbrock performer intake, avs2 650cfm off road carburetor, performer plus camshaft kit with Hedman headers to 3” dual exhaust with flow masters. The work should be completed in the next few weeks. Out of curiosity, what performance gains would I expect from this setup? I should have it back in my hands once I get tires on it and can share more pictures. Once again thank you for all the input and information.

Hello again, I have so far purchased the Edelbrock performer intake, avs2 650cfm off road carburetor, performer plus camshaft kit with Hedman headers to 3” dual exhaust with flow masters. The work should be completed in the next few weeks. Out of curiosity, what performance gains would I expect from this setup? I should have it back in my hands once I get tires on it and can share more pictures. Once again thank you for all the input and information.

That's pretty similar to what I supposedly had on Big Blue. I say supposedly since I don't for sure that the Edelbrock cam was in there, but it did have the Eddy intake and 750 CFM carb. And the thing pulled like a tractor from low RPM.

However, I really don't have a benchmark for what it would have been like originally, so don't know what the gains were. Still, it was strong.