Bullnose Forums

With or Without Trip Speedo

The only exception were the F-600 and up. They could have Tachs, but no tripometers.

They also had million mile odometers, which some people like to swap into the pickups so they don't roll over every 100k.

The Canadian market trucks got the million kilometer odometers in either 1982 or 1983, I can't remember now. The earlier Canadian market trucks just had the 100k odometers like the US trucks, but I'm sure they figured out that the odometers would just roll over too often or too soon at that rate (every 60k miles basically).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Canadian market trucks got the million kilometer odometers in either 1982 or 1983, I can't remember now. The earlier Canadian market trucks just had the 100k odometers like the US trucks, but I'm sure they figured out that the odometers would just roll over too often or too soon at that rate (every 60k miles basically).

I regularly saw w/o-trip km odometers with million, but never with trip.

Cory, did you see such million km odometer w/trip?

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

That's a good question. I've never seen one either with trip.

I'm tempted to transplant a medium duty million mile speedometer/odometer in my truck myself. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Loosing the tripometer is the main reason why I haven't yet. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

That's a good question. I've never seen one either with trip.

I'm tempted to transplant a medium duty million mile speedometer/odometer in my truck myself. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Loosing the tripometer is the main reason why I haven't yet. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Well, seems that they were available, actually:

C67E650D-0FB4-4BA0-BEF0-69E8E1858907.jpeg.7e77c3c4ec371eb1f3b786c9c880ef8b.jpeg

From November '82.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/gauges1.html

Thanks to Gary's Library!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Edit: Looking closer, seems that million speedo were "Dual Band 120 KMpH / 85MpH", but not the reverse (MpH/KMpH).

Yes sir, Canadian trucks got million km odometers with and without trip meters in 1983.

The US market pickup trucks never did get the million mile odometers...they stayed with the 100k mile units until the end in 1986.

Yes sir, Canadian trucks got million km odometers with and without trip meters in 1983.

The US market pickup trucks never did get the million mile odometers...they stayed with the 100k mile units until the end in 1986.

Curious... For me, 99,000 miles (just under 160,000 km) isn't unusual.

Maybe the '80s f-series manufactured in Canada were built more solid and durable than their US counterparts?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Curious... For me, 99,000 miles (just under 160,000 km) isn't unusual.

Maybe the '80s f-series manufactured in Canada were built more solid and durable than their US counterparts?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Gentlemen, I am a bit confused.

I have two spare clusters in stock, and trying to understand/identify the one with tripometer (E1TF-10C956-B). Diesel? Gasoline?

So, taking a look on what used stock is available on eBay, I find that some diesels and gasoline clusters have the same part number on their back.

:nabble_anim_confused:

And there I find some speedometers without cable, but having a connector instead.

36D5EACB-7940-4381-A67B-89992BBF88F7.jpeg.e32f043d75302ea2171ac4a77528badc.jpeg

Digging in the Documention section, I don't find info about these two questions...

Gentlemen, I am a bit confused.

I have two spare clusters in stock, and trying to understand/identify the one with tripometer (E1TF-10C956-B). Diesel? Gasoline?

So, taking a look on what used stock is available on eBay, I find that some diesels and gasoline clusters have the same part number on their back.

:nabble_anim_confused:

And there I find some speedometers without cable, but having a connector instead.

Digging in the Documention section, I don't find info about these two questions...

Jeff - Just to make sure we are talking apples to apples, any number on a Ford part is not a part number. It is an engineering/ID number.

And while you may think I'm being pedantic stating this, it is important because the Master Parts Catalog has a column for Part Numbers and not for Engineering Numbers. So normally you cannot take a number from a part to the MPC and find a match. However, in a very few cases the folks that created the MPC put the Engineering Number in the description section, and fortunately that is the situation with the printed circuits for the gauges. (Note that the base part number, 10K843, is quite different from the base engineering number of 10C956.)

Unfortunately we don't have an exact match, but we get close to E1TF-10C956-B with E1TF-10C956-BA. Normally BA is the next iteration on from B, but we shouldn't go to the bank with that so when I get a chance I'll try to cross-ref BA and see what I find.

As for the cluster with an electrical connection to the speedo, I don't know what that is. Perhaps for the F600 and larger trucks which used the Bullnose interior well into the 90's?

Instrument_Cluster_Printed_Circuit.thumb.jpg.c8e456a18328a20f6bbd86e3b8614b9c.jpg

Jeff - Just to make sure we are talking apples to apples, any number on a Ford part is not a part number. It is an engineering/ID number.

And while you may think I'm being pedantic stating this, it is important because the Master Parts Catalog has a column for Part Numbers and not for Engineering Numbers. So normally you cannot take a number from a part to the MPC and find a match. However, in a very few cases the folks that created the MPC put the Engineering Number in the description section, and fortunately that is the situation with the printed circuits for the gauges. (Note that the base part number, 10K843, is quite different from the base engineering number of 10C956.)

Unfortunately we don't have an exact match, but we get close to E1TF-10C956-B with E1TF-10C956-BA. Normally BA is the next iteration on from B, but we shouldn't go to the bank with that so when I get a chance I'll try to cross-ref BA and see what I find.

As for the cluster with an electrical connection to the speedo, I don't know what that is. Perhaps for the F600 and larger trucks which used the Bullnose interior well into the 90's?

According to the 1985 Master Cross Reference List, ID/Engineering # E1TF-10C956-BA does cross to PN E1TZ 10K843-B.

Oddly enough there's no reference to E1TF-10C956-B, meaning w/o the "A".

That is exactly what that is from. 1992-1999 F-600/900 if I'm not mistaken on exact year.

I have wondered what it would take to use that speedo in our pickups? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

A lot of work no doubt.