Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

I used the Rustoleum Metal Etch primer.

I used Cast Aluminum engine paint on my 5spd and it really brightened it up. Like Gary says though, what a sin to hide it under the belly of the truck...lol. Still...what it really does is make everything very easy to work on, and it makes leaks very visible (if you have any).

BTW, what brand of paint and where did you find the cast aluminum color?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goo afternoon guys!

Sorry for the sabbatical...

Hope everyone is having some success with their onions! 😉

Any T Case gurus out there?

2 questions:

1 - what is your best guess as to where this thing was leaking.

2 - While wrestling this thing around cleaning, it sounds as if there is something inside rattling around. Any ideas what it could be? I have carefully taped off every opening during cleaning and I took the bearing retainer off (rear output side), to see if I could see anything down in there and I could not.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert, by any stretch. But if you are tearing into it the factory rebuild info and illustrations are here: Driveline/Transfer Cases and the NP208 tab.

The leak might have been the output seal. A leak there would run down the extension and then could run down the rear of the case since it sits at an angle.

As for the noise, there are nylon "fingers" that fit in the end of the shift yoke's arms. They wear and break off, so you might hear one of them rattling around.

I'm not an expert, by any stretch. But if you are tearing into it the factory rebuild info and illustrations are here: Driveline/Transfer Cases and the NP208 tab.

The leak might have been the output seal. A leak there would run down the extension and then could run down the rear of the case since it sits at an angle.

As for the noise, there are nylon "fingers" that fit in the end of the shift yoke's arms. They wear and break off, so you might hear one of them rattling around.

Thanks Gary. I think I am going to at least split the case halves tonight and see if I can get a peek at those shifting forks. What sounds loose and moving around doesn't seem like it would be anything but metal, my curiosity is now peaked. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the helpful links!

BTW, noticed a local junkyard has a 400m for sale for $100. (I am sure it would need a total rebuild) I wonder if it is worth picking up? I thought about someday building a 460 to drop in Ferdinand but for as much trouble as I am having with this 351W I may bow out... 🙃

Gary, are these what you are describing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-UP-NOS-Ford-Truck-4-Wheel-Drive-Transfer-Case-Shift-Fork-Inserts/332163942996?hash=item4d56838a54:g:1gMAAOSwuLZY1VQh:sc:USPSFirstClass!40475!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-UP-NOS-Ford-Truck-4-Wheel-Drive-Transfer-Case-Shift-Fork-Inserts/332163942996?hash=item4d56838a54:g:1gMAAOSwuLZY1VQh:sc:USPSFirstClass!40475!US!-1

Those do look to be them: PAD (SHIFT FORK INSERT).

And, a 400 for $100 is pretty good. The cranks are getting harder to find, and they and the right pistons are all you need to turn a 351M into a 400. That's a pretty cheap stroker kit.

Or, just build up that 400. Tim Meyer has all the parts.

Thanks for the suggestion and the link!!! I sure hope we can find this spring now 🤞🏼

Thanks for the suggestion and the link!!! I sure hope we can find this spring now 🤞🏼

I would go to my local 4WD place. Here in Tulsa we have at least two that specialize in such parts. So I would take the illustration and the part to them and I'd bet they would have one - perhaps one from a broken transfer case.

Or, look for a new one. It is part number E3TZ 7D126-B and is 2 5/64" free lenqth—4 coils. Here's the Ford illustration and #'s for the t-case:

NP_208_Illustration.thumb.jpg.33d89bcd0fa9ce548662b7a4c5e40720.jpg

I would go to my local 4WD place. Here in Tulsa we have at least two that specialize in such parts. So I would take the illustration and the part to them and I'd bet they would have one - perhaps one from a broken transfer case.

Or, look for a new one. It is part number E3TZ 7D126-B and is 2 5/64" free lenqth—4 coils. Here's the Ford illustration and #'s for the t-case:

Man what excellent timing Gary!!

I have one on order. Thanks a million‼️