Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

So pulling the trans and t-case went fairly well this evening. Most of the work was done last night. Headed back out in a bit to keep looking for the leak.

And may I say a cheap craftsman motorcycle lift makes a pretty handy transmission jack!

The "good" news is that I don't see anything wet inside on the back of the block. I can't see any cracks, and now that I have a REALLY good look at the intake, I can without a doubt confirm no leaks there...

However, I am completely S T U M P E D on where this coolant is coming from but I will certainly keep you posted.

Gary, thanks for the suggestions. I had actually pulled the pan, installed a new filter stripped and painted the pan and gave it a fresh drink with all new fluids before I fired him up for the first time. SO, taking the pan back off and losing all that fluid was NO FUN at all.

I like the suggestion of putting a drain plug in. I didn't even think that was an option, but you can bet I am putting one in this time!

Here are a few pics of tonight's progress:

Transmission_Pulled_Front_copy.thumb.jpg.de0250a7541f248d3486a6256db3003d.jpg

Transmission_Pulled_Rear_copy.thumb.jpg.9879ecfd7b2984166b35d278bc5b39fd.jpg

Motor_Rear_of_block_3.jpg.a3cac27c51f1c4994d20ed1977e9cd39.jpg

Motor_Rear_Intake_DS_to_Head_seam_copy.thumb.jpg.9abad204020701a377ed1d7dafebb513.jpg

Motor_Rear_Intake_PS_to_Head_seam_copy.thumb.jpg.72f36886d67d6604c7e4f165c567b70c.jpg

Transfer_Case_Pulled_copy.jpg.077367ed86a0fa70976a5b165880c465.jpg

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pulling the trans and t-case went fairly well this evening. Most of the work was done last night. Headed back out in a bit to keep looking for the leak.

And may I say a cheap craftsman motorcycle lift makes a pretty handy transmission jack!

The "good" news is that I don't see anything wet inside on the back of the block. I can't see any cracks, and now that I have a REALLY good look at the intake, I can without a doubt confirm no leaks there...

However, I am completely S T U M P E D on where this coolant is coming from but I will certainly keep you posted.

Gary, thanks for the suggestions. I had actually pulled the pan, installed a new filter stripped and painted the pan and gave it a fresh drink with all new fluids before I fired him up for the first time. SO, taking the pan back off and losing all that fluid was NO FUN at all.

I like the suggestion of putting a drain plug in. I didn't even think that was an option, but you can bet I am putting one in this time!

Here are a few pics of tonight's progress:

Yes, that motorcycle lift sure looks like it worked nicely. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think now is the time to get the cooling system tester from the parts store and pump up the pressure. Most stores "rent" them, meaning you pay as if you are going to buy it and then get your money back when you return it. Anyway, hopefully the leak will manifest itself w/o heat.

But, if you still can't see the source the next step would be the UV dye. However, since that probably won't mix with the coolant w/o the engine running you'll have to reinstall the tranny for that step.

Yes, that motorcycle lift sure looks like it worked nicely. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think now is the time to get the cooling system tester from the parts store and pump up the pressure. Most stores "rent" them, meaning you pay as if you are going to buy it and then get your money back when you return it. Anyway, hopefully the leak will manifest itself w/o heat.

But, if you still can't see the source the next step would be the UV dye. However, since that probably won't mix with the coolant w/o the engine running you'll have to reinstall the tranny for that step.

Well I pressure tested the coolant system tonight...

Tried 10psi - nothing, 12psi - nothing, 14, 16, 18, 20psi developed a few small leaks around a few hose fittings but I didn't want to go any higher and risk damaging my new radiator since the stock coolant operating pressure is rather low.

So, at this point, I am guessing the leak doesn't propagate until under pressure and heat.

But as you mentioned Gary, to test that theory I have to reinstall the transmission to be able to run the engine. I plan to clean the case up and give it a quick coat of paint and give it a try.

Sounds simple enough, but I am guessing that will take me more than a week to accomplish.

Gary, you've used the expression of these trucks being like onions... man is that an excellent metaphor!

😣

Well I pressure tested the coolant system tonight...

Tried 10psi - nothing, 12psi - nothing, 14, 16, 18, 20psi developed a few small leaks around a few hose fittings but I didn't want to go any higher and risk damaging my new radiator since the stock coolant operating pressure is rather low.

So, at this point, I am guessing the leak doesn't propagate until under pressure and heat.

But as you mentioned Gary, to test that theory I have to reinstall the transmission to be able to run the engine. I plan to clean the case up and give it a quick coat of paint and give it a try.

Sounds simple enough, but I am guessing that will take me more than a week to accomplish.

Gary, you've used the expression of these trucks being like onions... man is that an excellent metaphor!

😣

Bummer! I was afraid of that. But, I agree that you don't want to go any higher in pressure as you'll stand a chance of damaging either the radiator or heater core.

But, think how clean and pretty it is going to look with the tranny (and t-case?) cleaned and painted!

Yes, it is an apt metaphor. If it isn't one thing it is another. And the question becomes how far you want to peel things. At some point in time you'll say "It is good enough", but it is obviously not yet that time. So, keep on keeping on. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Bummer! I was afraid of that. But, I agree that you don't want to go any higher in pressure as you'll stand a chance of damaging either the radiator or heater core.

But, think how clean and pretty it is going to look with the tranny (and t-case?) cleaned and painted!

Yes, it is an apt metaphor. If it isn't one thing it is another. And the question becomes how far you want to peel things. At some point in time you'll say "It is good enough", but it is obviously not yet that time. So, keep on keeping on. :nabble_smiley_cry:

amen brother!

I admire your ambition! You look to be doing a great job with a worthy bronco. Maybe I missed it but did you ever determine why the engine caught fire?

Evening Tallyho,

My best guess based on the charred remains under the hood would be either the stock air cleaner rubbed a hole in the fuel line or that it back fired through the carb. The guy did just do a new carb and wires and I wonder if something got mixed up in the process. It ran really well though on the two test drives though. I drove about 2 hours to go get it. And I made it about 1/2 way home... What a fiasco. 🙃

I did get the transmission and t case apart and am working on getting them stripped down.

Sure wish I could get that tranny up in the blasting cabinet! 🤣

I've been known to tape everything off and use my roll-around blast cabinet outside on a transmission. But getting one in my blast cabinet wouldn't be easy. Too heavy.

Without a roll-around I'd use brake cleaner and brushes. I put a slip yoke in the output to seal it and something else on the input. Plus sealed the vent and all other openings.