Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

The engine sounds good. :nabble_smiley_good: Bummer on the coolant leak, but it may just be a hose.

On the stuff/connections/wires:

The plug: hard to tell 'cause I can't see the wire colors going into it. But if it is red/light green it goes to the capacitor/condenser shown on Page 26 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/start--ignition.html

The wiring: I suspect that's the carb wiring since you said it plugs into the device in the next pic. If so, it'll be the stuff shown on Page 53 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html

The device E4UZ 9B982-AA is a carburetor bowl vent valve for a 1984 F/U-150 w/a 351W w/a 4bbl

The "little bugger" is associated with the choke heater as white/black would be that. Again, shown on Page 53, but one wire goes to the alternator and another to the choke. The relays are probably the choke relay and the 25 second timer.

Orphan plugs:

The green wire with a single connector is the under-hood light power source. It just hangs in the breeze if you don't have one.

The big yellow wire beside it is probably the power feed to the trailering option, shown on Page 130 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option.html

Remaining orphan plugs: can't tell as I can't make out the wire colors. Can you take a close-up pic for both of those?

Gary, I just looked through all the project pages and didn't see anything on a removal and reinstallation of a C6. Please let me know if you know you have something and I'll glad take time to review it before I tear into mine. I will likely start the process to pull it here in the next day or so. Should if it would be at all helpful I could start another project and title it "C6 Removal/Reinstallation" or something of that nature if you think that would be helpful?

I am by no means the photo-journalist you have in the other members in the forum but I can take a few pictures and share the experience if you think it would be helpful. I likely will regardless in the Ferdinand Project thread. I was just curious as to your input on doing it as a separate thread.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I just looked through all the project pages and didn't see anything on a removal and reinstallation of a C6. Please let me know if you know you have something and I'll glad take time to review it before I tear into mine. I will likely start the process to pull it here in the next day or so. Should if it would be at all helpful I could start another project and title it "C6 Removal/Reinstallation" or something of that nature if you think that would be helpful?

I am by no means the photo-journalist you have in the other members in the forum but I can take a few pictures and share the experience if you think it would be helpful. I likely will regardless in the Ferdinand Project thread. I was just curious as to your input on doing it as a separate thread.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-16_at_2.png.fc1c9460607a2d37d3982dd803d74b89.png

I am thinking the area shown by the arrow 3rd from the left (second green one from the left) is likely the culprits on the back of the block.

This pic is obviously way back in the beginning right after I pulled the motor. However, as I mentioned before, I do not have a pic of the rear of the block before I dropped it back in. You can bet I'll take a few once I get the transmission out!! :nabble_smiley_wink:

We don't have a how-to on removing and installing a C6, so please go for it. :nabble_smiley_good:

However, I don't remember any coolant plugs on the back of the 351W block. Perhaps others will correct me if I'm wrong. But if my memory is right, then you need to be looking elsewhere.

The intake manifold is a likely culprit to me. There is coolant flowing through it at the very front and very back, so it could easily leak there and find its way down the back of the engine to where you are pointing.

Was your manifold new? If not, they can easily pit at the interface with the head due to electrolysis, and it is possible that's why it is leaking - assuming it really is.

I think you can get a dye at the parts store that glows under UV light. Put some of that in your coolant and then see from whence it comes.

We don't have a how-to on removing and installing a C6, so please go for it. :nabble_smiley_good:

However, I don't remember any coolant plugs on the back of the 351W block. Perhaps others will correct me if I'm wrong. But if my memory is right, then you need to be looking elsewhere.

The intake manifold is a likely culprit to me. There is coolant flowing through it at the very front and very back, so it could easily leak there and find its way down the back of the engine to where you are pointing.

Was your manifold new? If not, they can easily pit at the interface with the head due to electrolysis, and it is possible that's why it is leaking - assuming it really is.

I think you can get a dye at the parts store that glows under UV light. Put some of that in your coolant and then see from whence it comes.

Thanks Gary. What else could be causing fluid to leak down into the bell housing? It is a brand new intake.

This looks and feels like oil, but I know the bulk of what is leaking is coolant... what a mess! C39EABA0-F4CF-468C-9188-DD91E619634D.jpeg.2ac9645601c6c16bc9fafd054eff2f1f.jpeg

Also, in reference to that plug on the back of the block in the picture with the arrows, any idea what that is then if it is not a coolant plug?

Also, in reference to that plug on the back of the block in the picture with the arrows, any idea what that is then if it is not a coolant plug?

I believe those plugs are at the back of the oil galleries. It is where they drilled forward through or along the lifters for the oil to flow. And I believe there is a welsh plug at the back of the cam, where they bored the block for the cam bearings.

So you might have oil leaks and coolant leaks. The intake doesn't always go down squarely. Brandon and I got his on at a slight angle in spite of using guide pins, meaning long bolts with the heads cut off threaded into the heads to align the intake. It had a coolant leak and we had to remove and re-install.

The engine sounds good. :nabble_smiley_good: Bummer on the coolant leak, but it may just be a hose.

On the stuff/connections/wires:

The plug: hard to tell 'cause I can't see the wire colors going into it. But if it is red/light green it goes to the capacitor/condenser shown on Page 26 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/start--ignition.html

The wiring: I suspect that's the carb wiring since you said it plugs into the device in the next pic. If so, it'll be the stuff shown on Page 53 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html

The device E4UZ 9B982-AA is a carburetor bowl vent valve for a 1984 F/U-150 w/a 351W w/a 4bbl

The "little bugger" is associated with the choke heater as white/black would be that. Again, shown on Page 53, but one wire goes to the alternator and another to the choke. The relays are probably the choke relay and the 25 second timer.

Orphan plugs:

The green wire with a single connector is the under-hood light power source. It just hangs in the breeze if you don't have one.

The big yellow wire beside it is probably the power feed to the trailering option, shown on Page 130 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option.html

Remaining orphan plugs: can't tell as I can't make out the wire colors. Can you take a close-up pic for both of those?

BTW Gary,

I was tracking down the wiring info and I noticed on the reference you gave me citing "page 53" that link just takes me back to the projects page. I am thinking there is a little bit missing on the tail end of the link. Just let me know. :nabble_anim_working:

Thanks again for all the info!!

BTW Gary,

I was tracking down the wiring info and I noticed on the reference you gave me citing "page 53" that link just takes me back to the projects page. I am thinking there is a little bit missing on the tail end of the link. Just let me know. :nabble_anim_working:

Thanks again for all the info!!

Good catch. It should be fixed now.

Good catch. It should be fixed now.

GOLD MINE! That EVTM is SOOOO helpful!! I was googling other options and it came back to that section on your site! I didn't even know Ford had something like that. What a resource.

Gary, your help and this site (the forum of guys and the resources) has made a tremendous improvement in the pace, quality, and confidence of my work and this project. My appreciation cannot be overstated. May God always bless your efforts in helping others.

GOLD MINE! That EVTM is SOOOO helpful!! I was googling other options and it came back to that section on your site! I didn't even know Ford had something like that. What a resource.

Gary, your help and this site (the forum of guys and the resources) has made a tremendous improvement in the pace, quality, and confidence of my work and this project. My appreciation cannot be overstated. May God always bless your efforts in helping others.

Yes, the EVTM is absolutely the best thing for working on one of these trucks. Followed by the master parts catalog, and then by this forum. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks!