Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

Gotta get things wrapped up for worship tomorrow but here's progress to date.

I didn’t realize the driver’s side fender was as bent as it is. I straightened some of it out but the bezel won’t go on. I am going to try and get it pushed out enough to at least get that bezel on.

I picked up a set of '86 fenders a few days ago, but they need a good bit of work, so the originals will have to be good enough for now.

Ferdinand's true maiden voyage went rather well today‼️ 😎

Will comment more tomorrow evening.

Yippee!!! Sure glad it is coming together. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for Magnaflow mufflers. They have a deeper sound than Flowmasters. When I got Rusty it had a Flowmaster, which someone said sounded flatulent. And it was so loud that I didn’t realize how much noise the tires were making. But a Magnaflow dropped the noise dramatically and also dropped the tone to a nice rumble. And then I discovered how noisy the tires were. 😳

I really had my heart set on Flowmasters for the freshly built 302 in my '84. The way they sound with 2.5" duals on the Foxbody 5.0 cars is delicious to me...lol. However, there's a lot more to the sound on those cars than the mufflers.

Anyway, I tried a couple different Flowmasters, and they were just way too loud for me. There was too much drone in the cab.

I took the truck to a shop that installed full duals with an H-pipe before the mufflers, and I too ended up with Magnaflows. Like Gary, I'm very happy with them. Nice deep rumble.

I think the Flowmasters would have been OK, but I did only have them with dumps under the box, which would make them drone badly, and my truck being a bare bones stripper with no interior insulation doesn't help either. It really is like an empty tin can inside.

Been a little low on time and energy here last few days.

Trying to catch up a bit this evening.

Progress tonight:

*I was also able to get the driver's side fender pushed back out enough to let me get the DS headlight bezel back on 👍🏻

Excellent progress! I'm jealous. :nabble_smiley_good:

Rising from the ashes... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Put the PCV back to the carb, hooked up the vacuum line to the transmission, and reconnected the vacuum advance for the distributor. It was running like a dream, but now I am stuck on a faster idle but after I pinched off each new line I added today it didn't seem to make any difference... go figure.

Hoping for a front end alignment later this week and then I really need to figure out what to do about an exhaust. The local shop won't install unless I go back to y-pipe & cats, but since we are a non-smog county, I am going to try and find a way to circumvent that option...

Still not able to get my alternator charging. I had noticed I was missing a ground so I ran a isolated ground up to the grounded terminal of the starting solenoid, but I am not really sure that did anything even though I know it should have.

I have good heat, lights are nice and bright, and I happened to have a left over turn signal module from when I rebuilt that '82 F150 and that fixed my slow to non functioning turn signals. I TOLD MY WIFE IT PAYS TO HANG ON TO OLD PARTS! 😉

I am still missing the splash pan for the front end, but I will snag that from the Boneyard Bronc before I send her back.

Right now, I just need to get Ferdinand road worthy so I can get the title switched finally and get it plated!

I have the parts to replace the rear glass outer seal, passenger side window motor, and new speakers but I need to shake it down at this point for all the loose ends from the ground up. Anything not critical for driving I am holding off on. I hope to install my horns tomorrow night and figure out why my under-hood light isn't working. That was one of the things that I loved about my '82 was that retractable under-hood light. The Bronco has the same one :nabble_smiley_good:

I still need to shorten my heater core hoses but I did finally switch them around.

Looking good!

A gruff old fart that used to own a muffler shop here would drop you off his rack and put it outside if you tried to talk about no cats.

We're not smog here either but the "snot noses from Portland" would come down and try to catch him doing it. So he just pushed the vehicle outside and wouldn't work on it.

They have a reason to not want to. Best way to circumvent that would be to do it yourself, unfortunately.

Disclaimer: I am in no way advocating this! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Hoping for a front end alignment later this week and then I really need to figure out what to do about an exhaust. The local shop won't install unless I go back to y-pipe & cats, but since we are a non-smog county, I am going to try and find a way to circumvent that option...

The shop that installed the full duals on my 84 didn't say a word about anything smog related. They don't test exhaust emissions here like they do in other areas, but most of the time if the vehicle was originally equipped with cats, then they must be replaced. However, there IS a cut-off date...and I'm not sure when it is. I had two different shops tell me two different dates. One shop said 1991, and the other said 1995...and something to do with OBDII, etc. In any case, with most vehicles from the 1980's era, I don't think anybody around here would squawk about installing true catless duals. I know with newer stuff...it is an absolute no no...none of the honest shops around here would remove cats, no way.

I always find it very interesting how widely some of the rules vary in the USA....by county or by state.

I guess it's the same up here in Canada, it's just that out here on the east coast, we don't see the smog rules like they have in the more populated areas in the middle of the country.

I guess they get us with the inspections from a different angle anyway. When we take a vehicle in for the provincial inspection (every 2 years), it can fail for a variety of reasons...crack in the windshield, or a small rust hole in the body or frame, etc. There can be blue smoke billowing out of the tail pipe, but since that is not a safety related issue, it's not even on the checklist;).

Rising from the ashes... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Put the PCV back to the carb, hooked up the vacuum line to the transmission, and reconnected the vacuum advance for the distributor. It was running like a dream, but now I am stuck on a faster idle but after I pinched off each new line I added today it didn't seem to make any difference... go figure.

Still not able to get my alternator charging. I had noticed I was missing a ground so I ran a isolated ground up to the grounded terminal of the starting solenoid, but I am not really sure that did anything even though I know it should have.

I have good heat, lights are nice and bright, and I happened to have a left over turn signal module from when I rebuilt that '82 F150 and that fixed my slow to non functioning turn signals. I TOLD MY WIFE IT PAYS TO HANG ON TO OLD PARTS! 😉

I am still missing the splash pan for the front end, but I will snag that from the Boneyard Bronc before I send her back.

Right now, I just need to get Ferdinand road worthy so I can get the title switched finally and get it plated!

I have the parts to replace the rear glass outer seal, passenger side window motor, and new speakers but I need to shake it down at this point for all the loose ends from the ground up. Anything not critical for driving I am holding off on. I hope to install my horns tomorrow night and figure out why my under-hood light isn't working. That was one of the things that I loved about my '82 was that retractable under-hood light. The Bronco has the same one :nabble_smiley_good:

I still need to shorten my heater core hoses but I did finally switch them around.

Yes, it is really coming together! Well done!

On the faster idle, that's 'cause you probably hooked the vacuum advance up to manifold vacuum. If you hook it to ported vacuum your idle speed will be right back where it was.

I don't like manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance, and especially not for an automatic tranny. The issue is that it makes the engine idle faster, so you adjust the idle stop down and get it running right in neutral. But when you drop it in gear the vacuum drops because the RPM drops, and now you are idling too slow. But if you use ported vacuum none of that happens.

I think your plan to get it roadworthy before working on the details is spot-on. There were be an infinite number of little details, so peel the onion after getting it on the road. And enjoy!!!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

I vote for Magnaflow mufflers. They have a deeper sound than Flowmasters. When I got Rusty it had a Flowmaster, which someone said sounded flatulent. And it was so loud that I didn’t realize how much noise the tires were making. But a Magnaflow dropped the noise dramatically and also dropped the tone to a nice rumble. And then I discovered how noisy the tires were. 😳

Gary, any chance you remember which Magnaflow muffler you went with?