Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been trying to get back in the groove with the Bronco but the flu/pneumonia really took most of my steam since my project time usually doesn't start until after 10p.

The coolant leak issue has everyone stumped so sadly, a huge step backward:

Hopefully pulling it tonight and hauling it down to NC next week to let the guys tear it down and find what in the world is going on...

Here is an item for consideration/discussion:

The engine has been run about 8 times now (including the cam break-in). I am amazed how different the coolant looks between the drain at the lower end of the radiator and the coolant that has leaked out of the rear somewhere. It sure looks like it has been contaminated with oil...

The only issue with that theory is that if it has indeed been contaminated, all the coolant should look the same. (At least that's what I'm thinking with my current line of reasoning, which could certainly be flawed...🤔)

However, here is a short clip of me draining the oil to verify if there was any contamination:

Please excuse the frustration at the end of the clip. I am nearing my wits end with this thing. 🙃

Hope you are recovering from the flu. That's no fun. :nabble_smiley_argh:

The coolant out of the drain looks perfect, as does the oil. So, apparently the coolant in the leak is mixing with oil outside of the two systems. In other words, you have both a coolant leak as well as an oil leak?

I'm sure you are really, REALLY frustrated. I would be - for sure. What a bummer!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the sabbatical gentlemen.

Took many steps backwards but I think I am slowly moving forward again. I hope...

All out again:

NC & Back in 27 hours to talk with the guy who built the motor.

Gained some insight. Pressure tested to 40 PSI. Held for over an hour. Even used a torpedo heater to heat the block up and no leaks. It even built pressure as it got warmer. SO WHERE IS IT COMING FROM!!!

Remember when I mentioned I had hoped it would be something stupid? Well at least one thing certainly was.

I can't believe I looked at this 100 times and even had several buddies over and my cousin who is a pretty solid wrench. See anything missing???:

Let me give you a hint:

Sooo, I get that this would give me an oil leak. Duh, but what about the coolant leak???

Stay tuned 😊 I will have to finish the write up tomorrow. Losing track as I am nodding off 😉

That would give you a big oil leak! Wow! Surely that was the responsibility of the engine builder?

Can't wait for the other shoe to drop. Wake up over there!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Ok, I am back. :nabble_smiley_beam:

So I took several pictures of interesting things I found when I pulled some things apart but nothing too important.

Except this one:

So most of you all will notice the coolant leaking across the mating flange which would let it get into the other passages.

Well this is where the coolant was entering the oil passages and when hot, it leaked out the back due to the real seal missing...

I am just surprised the UV looked as bright as it did being mixed with oil. Also, when I drained the oil it looked nothing like the leak when both were inspected under UV light :nabble_anim_confused:

I did find find some issues on the mating surfaces on the heads that may have prevented the intake from fully seating into position. I have remedied all of those and am pretty confident moving forward.

MAN AM I GLAD THAT SEARCH IS OVER‼️

Question: Anyone out there use sealant on the rail gaskets on an intake? I've always used in for the front and rear, but not the sides. Thoughts?

Sure glad you found it! Long, long road but it must feel good to be seeing the end approaching.

As for the gaskets, I'm not sure what you are asking. But, I don't use gaskets on the walls at the front and back that go across the valley. Instead I put a 3/8 - 1/2" bead of RTV on, and using guide studs, lower the manifold on straight. Then I run the bolts down snug and evenly, using the pattern, and let it sit overnight. The next day I torque it down.

But you have to have the walls and the manifold CLEAN as the RTV has to adhere to it.

And, thinking about it, you may be asking about RTV on the mating gaskets. Yes, I use a bit, but only around the coolant passages, front and rear.