Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

So far the family has done a good job quarantining me so I think they are safe. My little Katie, I think, is the culprit for passing it to me. But hey, we always would rather bear the illness than our kids. That's for sure.

I am feeling a bit better today thankfully.

I am now on another curious quest. Going to search the forum for any winch projects. I was a contractor for 20 years but never learned to weld. I do have a small lincoln mig welder and I hear they are pretty good, so I may try to learn that craft as well. (Hence why I am following your rear tire carrier thread :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I did also get the mix paint back for the interior door skins so I may try to finish the driver's side door next week. I have the speakers, the soundproofing (thanks to the thread Rembrant started on speakers) and replaced the lower, outer window seal (thanks to LMC), so it will be nice to have that back together.

Taking your advice on factory air cleaners, I ordered replacement rectangular flex ducting to go from the core support vent to the snorkel on the air cleaner. BTW, my plans are to just plug every other opening off, even the little vacuum ones, since they won't do me any goo with the set up I have, but I do plan to replace the crankcase vent. Does that sound reasonable? I don't want to create any big issues with airflow.

Glad you are feeling better and can get some things done, and maybe even make the meeting tonight?

As for winch projects, are you thinking of building a front bumper? If so I could make some measurements on this Warn for you to potentially duplicate.

On the air cleaner, I think I understand what you are planning to do, but I think you meant you won't plug off the crankcase vent. If so, that seems a reasonable approach.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are feeling better and can get some things done, and maybe even make the meeting tonight?

As for winch projects, are you thinking of building a front bumper? If so I could make some measurements on this Warn for you to potentially duplicate.

On the air cleaner, I think I understand what you are planning to do, but I think you meant you won't plug off the crankcase vent. If so, that seems a reasonable approach.

I do hope to make the meeting tonight. Albeit, sitting in the foyer for everyone else's safety :nabble_smiley_wink:

(I sure have been thankful to the men for getting the lessons loaded onto the website so I can at least listen from home. Glad we started that for our shut-ins a little while ago!)

That would be great if you could send me some info on your winch setup! A few pictures of it too would help as well.

And yes, I did mean that I was going to keep the crankcase vent and filter assembly that comes up into the side of the air cleaner :nabble_smiley_good:

I do hope to make the meeting tonight. Albeit, sitting in the foyer for everyone else's safety :nabble_smiley_wink:

(I sure have been thankful to the men for getting the lessons loaded onto the website so I can at least listen from home. Glad we started that for our shut-ins a little while ago!)

That would be great if you could send me some info on your winch setup! A few pictures of it too would help as well.

And yes, I did mean that I was going to keep the crankcase vent and filter assembly that comes up into the side of the air cleaner :nabble_smiley_good:

We've been recording our sermons, but have been asked to do Facebook Live so people can see as well as hear. However, we don't seem to have the bandwidth needed, so are still working on it.

Anyway, I didn't get the bumper measured nor pics taken today. Sorry. But the weather was nice so the grands and I spent a little bit of time to put up some Christmas lights. Perhaps tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

We've been recording our sermons, but have been asked to do Facebook Live so people can see as well as hear. However, we don't seem to have the bandwidth needed, so are still working on it.

Anyway, I didn't get the bumper measured nor pics taken today. Sorry. But the weather was nice so the grands and I spent a little bit of time to put up some Christmas lights. Perhaps tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I know what you mean. I am all about trying to use the tech at our hands to drive the Gospel message further but sometimes it's a rather detailed proposition to say the least.

No worries on the bumper. You gotta get the big rocks in the Jar first!

Glad you had some good weather. We had some ice yesterday and snow and ice today. Gotta love Ohio :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I know what you mean. I am all about trying to use the tech at our hands to drive the Gospel message further but sometimes it's a rather detailed proposition to say the least.

No worries on the bumper. You gotta get the big rocks in the Jar first!

Glad you had some good weather. We had some ice yesterday and snow and ice today. Gotta love Ohio :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Rocks in the jar?! Have you studied Covey? That's where I came across that analogy.

Oh yes. Became a fan back in the 90's. Some of his illustrations are timeless!

I knew you would understand the analogy :nabble_smiley_good:

I was in Conoco's first corporate class that studied Covey. He, Covey, sent his right-hand people and we had 4 one-week classes. It was wonderful, but Conoco soon decided that it was too expensive to have the whole corporation take 4 weeks off, so they changed it to a 1 week class thereafter.

The back of his book says that he got many of the ideas from the Bible. And I taught a lesson (sermon?) using his book back in the 90's.

I was in Conoco's first corporate class that studied Covey. He, Covey, sent his right-hand people and we had 4 one-week classes. It was wonderful, but Conoco soon decided that it was too expensive to have the whole corporation take 4 weeks off, so they changed it to a 1 week class thereafter.

The back of his book says that he got many of the ideas from the Bible. And I taught a lesson (sermon?) using his book back in the 90's.

Good material from Covey for sure. We have a lot in common. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I am thinking at this point I've preached at least a half-dozen sermons that tie back to his material since he was a good example of pulling bible principles up to the daily application level both personally and professionally. :nabble_smiley_good:

Progress Update:

Reconditioned the original air cleaner:

Bought a cheap "stick on" grille badge. I feel like I am going to regret that at some point...

Scuffed and painted rear bumper:

*I guess I was getting lazy with being down with the flu because I scuffed down the chrome of the rear bumper I got from the junk yard with an 80Grit flap wheel.

I am not very concerned about that though because I really want to fab up a heavy rear bumper with spare tire carrier.

So the real issue at hand... My coolant leak:

I fashioned a make-shift tranny/transfer case cradle real quick. It worked LIKE A DREAM! Especially for always wrestling this stuff alone.

Hoping the residual coolant from the run test would tell me something, I UV'd the entire engine compartment.

I found one small "trace" line that really didn't prove to be coming from outside the bell housing area.

But, by far, the bulk of the coolant appears to be coming out from around the rear crank area...

I even drained my engine oil thinking there has to be cross contamination, but found none...

I am completely stumped. :nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_confused:

I called the engine shop and they are reviewing all the images I have sent. To their credit, they are offering (if I bring it back down to NC) to do a block-swap and full rebuild at no charge.

I am waiting instructions from them so that is why I am working on all the other little items.

Next few small projects on the list while I wait for marching orders are:

-finish reconditioning the driver's side inner door skin (sand, paint, speaker, weather strip, sound deadening)

-Install the Carr Hoop II steps in place of the old running boards

-Install grab handles on the inside roof to aid in getting in (4" RC lift & 35" tires)

-Finish rear valence and mount rear bumper

-Paint and install front bumper

-Do some work on the hood

Wow! And what do you do with your free time? :nabble_smiley_whistling: