Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of computer are you looking at?
Nothing specific yet - just shopping. The guy who gave me this one works for MicroSoft, so he's giving me a few suggestions on what to buy.

Microsoft has some good hardware. I'm typing on a Surface Pro tablet. The size of an iPad Pro, but with more capability. For instance, I can edit my website, which requires a mouse, and iPads and iPhones don't like rodents. I can run my CAD program, that doesn't run on Apple devices. And, by going with the i5 processor I didn't get fans, so it is silent.

Microsoft has some good hardware. I'm typing on a Surface Pro tablet. The size of an iPad Pro, but with more capability. For instance, I can edit my website, which requires a mouse, and iPads and iPhones don't like rodents. I can run my CAD program, that doesn't run on Apple devices. And, by going with the i5 processor I didn't get fans, so it is silent.

As much as I don't really care for Apple as a company everything I have is apple; watch, phone, tablet, and laptop. Dependability and performance are incredible. With that being said, it was a pretty difficult switch having been a PC guy my whole life. I would imaging the Microsoft platform would give you the most ability for customization, but if that is not a strong need then I guess you could choose either platform. Let us know what you decide! :nabble_smiley_good:

As much as I don't really care for Apple as a company everything I have is apple; watch, phone, tablet, and laptop. Dependability and performance are incredible. With that being said, it was a pretty difficult switch having been a PC guy my whole life. I would imaging the Microsoft platform would give you the most ability for customization, but if that is not a strong need then I guess you could choose either platform. Let us know what you decide! :nabble_smiley_good:

I grew up with PC's (built microprocessors from the chip up), but carry an iPhone X and wear an Apple watch. (One of the absolute best things about the watch is that when someone's phone rings during church it isn't mine! :nabble_smiley_whistling:) And, I still have an iPad but I never use it.

I grew up with PC's (built microprocessors from the chip up), but carry an iPhone X and wear an Apple watch. (One of the absolute best things about the watch is that when someone's phone rings during church it isn't mine! :nabble_smiley_whistling:) And, I still have an iPad but I never use it.

Let's see, I have two homebuilt PCs, (desktop), a homebuilt server and one older MacBook Pro, one new (2017) MacBook Pro and an HP laptop. The last one was to give me a newer Windows machine for Binary Editor so I can reflash my EEC-V box. Non-computer, an iPhone 5s (don't like the bulk of the newer ones) and an iPad. When I actually wear a watch, it is a nice Vostok self winding one (I hate digital watches).

I started with computers (after learning how to use a slide rule, a K&E Log, Log, Duplex Trig that was my dad's) in college in 1964, and IBM 1620 that took up a small room between the actual computer, the punch card reader and the output card punch and the manual card punch machine. This was an item I kept very quiet about when I went to work in the lab at NNS as data retrieval/archiving was done with a very similar system and I did not want to get shanghaied into doing this. Once we got a LIMS system, I did let some of this out and actually ended up doing a bit of computer work for the lab.

We lost about 2 months worth of results one time, and I was one of the people helping to restore the database from the hard copies, at one point only our actual LIMS manager had more access than I did, even the supervisors couldn't edit some of what I could. Needless to say only our department manager and LIMS manager knew what I could do.

Gary you are so right! The watch has saved me a few times! My secular work holds me accessible 24/7, so as much as I hate that and the need to have my cell phone on and in the building, the watch is a nice safety net!

I am surprised to see the number of folks that have mixed gear. (Apple & PC) I learned long ago that Apple had a distinct edge on the market with tablets but the PC world has made some serious ground. The surface line is very powerful and impressive. I am still looking to upgrade to the Apple iPad Pro, but only because the synchronicity across all my devices is a feature that is very valuable to me. I used to run all iOS and a Dell Laptop the updates across two platforms would guarantee me at least one time if not two per year searching for a patch until the other update caught up. All Apple seems to have solved that issue, at least so far.

I have been somewhat surprised that I don't use my tablet for more, but since I got into a MacBook Air, it is so crazy light and with a 10-12 hour battery, it's nearly as portable as my tablet. However, my tablet is indispensable for my time spent in the Lord's work. If you haven't tried e-sword.net as an electronic bible study platform I HIGHLY recommend it.

Gary you are so right! The watch has saved me a few times! My secular work holds me accessible 24/7, so as much as I hate that and the need to have my cell phone on and in the building, the watch is a nice safety net!

I am surprised to see the number of folks that have mixed gear. (Apple & PC) I learned long ago that Apple had a distinct edge on the market with tablets but the PC world has made some serious ground. The surface line is very powerful and impressive. I am still looking to upgrade to the Apple iPad Pro, but only because the synchronicity across all my devices is a feature that is very valuable to me. I used to run all iOS and a Dell Laptop the updates across two platforms would guarantee me at least one time if not two per year searching for a patch until the other update caught up. All Apple seems to have solved that issue, at least so far.

I have been somewhat surprised that I don't use my tablet for more, but since I got into a MacBook Air, it is so crazy light and with a 10-12 hour battery, it's nearly as portable as my tablet. However, my tablet is indispensable for my time spent in the Lord's work. If you haven't tried e-sword.net as an electronic bible study platform I HIGHLY recommend it.

Sorry for the delayed response. But I needed to check out e-sword.net. It looks good, so I've downloaded it and will compare it to the two I currently use - You Version and Parallel Plus.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response. But I needed to check out e-sword.net. It looks good, so I've downloaded it and will compare it to the two I currently use - You Version and Parallel Plus.

Thanks!

Glad to hear you are willing to give it a try. The platform is free of course (unless you use it on an apple product. then I think there is a small charge.)

I have it downloaded on everything I have. I have used YouVersion, Olive Tree, Logos, and many others but I really like this one because of all the ways you can customize the views and resources. I have used it for over 10 years now so I have actually purchased many additional modules to aid in my studies. But hey, when you figure you can cary 15 bible translations, 10 sets of commentaries, 15 different map platforms, 2 or 3 Greek & Hebrew Lexicons, and a host of reference material all in one tablet... It sure beats the dolly you would need to drag around if you wanted to haul all those around in book form! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The one feature I probably use the most is the parallel feature where you can compare verse by verse trough different translations. Especially with the KJV+ which is a type of an interlinear for the original text.

Plus its cool to help a new person download it and have them use it as an aid when studying the Scriptures with them. Sad but true, most folks leave home without their Bibles, but VERY FEW leave home without their phones :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Bore scope came today. Tinkered with it a bit. Seems like it will work nicely.

Sorry for the delay in project progress. I've been leveled by the flu this week :nabble_smiley_unhappy: So, I haven't even been able to make the Gospel Meeting, so you can imagine frustrating that is!! Praying to be back among the living by Saturday.

Glad to hear you are willing to give it a try. The platform is free of course (unless you use it on an apple product. then I think there is a small charge.)

I have it downloaded on everything I have. I have used YouVersion, Olive Tree, Logos, and many others but I really like this one because of all the ways you can customize the views and resources. I have used it for over 10 years now so I have actually purchased many additional modules to aid in my studies. But hey, when you figure you can cary 15 bible translations, 10 sets of commentaries, 15 different map platforms, 2 or 3 Greek & Hebrew Lexicons, and a host of reference material all in one tablet... It sure beats the dolly you would need to drag around if you wanted to haul all those around in book form! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The one feature I probably use the most is the parallel feature where you can compare verse by verse trough different translations. Especially with the KJV+ which is a type of an interlinear for the original text.

Plus its cool to help a new person download it and have them use it as an aid when studying the Scriptures with them. Sad but true, most folks leave home without their Bibles, but VERY FEW leave home without their phones :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Bore scope came today. Tinkered with it a bit. Seems like it will work nicely.

Sorry for the delay in project progress. I've been leveled by the flu this week :nabble_smiley_unhappy: So, I haven't even been able to make the Gospel Meeting, so you can imagine frustrating that is!! Praying to be back among the living by Saturday.

I'll share this with our minister/preacher as he and I've been discussing the other versions we've tried. And I do have a few of the other "books" you mentioned on my phone, so I'm never w/o. It'll be fun to see about a new one - especially with such a strong recommendation. (Strong's - that reminds me of yet-another "book" I have on my phone.)

Sorry 'bout the flu. That's yukky stuff. Hope you didn't share it with the family, and I'm sure the others at the meetings aren't interested in it either. Take care and get well!

I'll share this with our minister/preacher as he and I've been discussing the other versions we've tried. And I do have a few of the other "books" you mentioned on my phone, so I'm never w/o. It'll be fun to see about a new one - especially with such a strong recommendation. (Strong's - that reminds me of yet-another "book" I have on my phone.)

Sorry 'bout the flu. That's yukky stuff. Hope you didn't share it with the family, and I'm sure the others at the meetings aren't interested in it either. Take care and get well!

So far the family has done a good job quarantining me so I think they are safe. My little Katie, I think, is the culprit for passing it to me. But hey, we always would rather bear the illness than our kids. That's for sure.

I am feeling a bit better today thankfully.

I am now on another curious quest. Going to search the forum for any winch projects. I was a contractor for 20 years but never learned to weld. I do have a small lincoln mig welder and I hear they are pretty good, so I may try to learn that craft as well. (Hence why I am following your rear tire carrier thread :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I did also get the mix paint back for the interior door skins so I may try to finish the driver's side door next week. I have the speakers, the soundproofing (thanks to the thread Rembrant started on speakers) and replaced the lower, outer window seal (thanks to LMC), so it will be nice to have that back together.

Taking your advice on factory air cleaners, I ordered replacement rectangular flex ducting to go from the core support vent to the snorkel on the air cleaner. BTW, my plans are to just plug every other opening off, even the little vacuum ones, since they won't do me any goo with the set up I have, but I do plan to replace the crankcase vent. Does that sound reasonable? I don't want to create any big issues with airflow.