Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

I don't have a bore scope to suggest, but I think Bill/85LebaronT2 does. Hopefully he will chime in.

And Clips and Fasteners is a good one. I downloaded their catalog some years ago, but should probably get a new one.

As for the gospel meeting, we haven't done one of those in years - but should. Did you bring in a guest speaker, have a different speaker each night, or what? I'm curious as it may be just what we need to do at the church where I'm an elder.

That sounds great Gary. I do hope he chimes in and points me in the right direction. :nabble_smiley_good:

As far as the meetings go, We have a Spring meeting and a Fall meeting. We bring in a guest speaker and we have them cover bible study and am & pm lessons on Sunday and then each week night at 7pm through Friday. It is a wonderful time and all the local congregations really support each other so it is a great time to "honor the brotherhood".

I would seriously consider it. In a time and culture that tries to keep us busy to the point of dizzy and shoving everything down our throat but the Lord, it is a good time to take a step back and Ps 46:10a!

Glad to hear of you serving as an Elder Gary. Godly men that meet the stringent qualifications are a rare find indeed!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds great Gary. I do hope he chimes in and points me in the right direction. :nabble_smiley_good:

As far as the meetings go, We have a Spring meeting and a Fall meeting. We bring in a guest speaker and we have them cover bible study and am & pm lessons on Sunday and then each week night at 7pm through Friday. It is a wonderful time and all the local congregations really support each other so it is a great time to "honor the brotherhood".

I would seriously consider it. In a time and culture that tries to keep us busy to the point of dizzy and shoving everything down our throat but the Lord, it is a good time to take a step back and Ps 46:10a!

Glad to hear of you serving as an Elder Gary. Godly men that meet the stringent qualifications are a rare find indeed!

We, as a brotherhood, used to do meetings frequently. But I haven't been involved with one in years. However, we need something as a congregation and perhaps that is it. Get people to slow down and know Him. :nabble_smiley_good:

Anyway, if Bill doesn't chime in I'll rattle his cage.

We, as a brotherhood, used to do meetings frequently. But I haven't been involved with one in years. However, we need something as a congregation and perhaps that is it. Get people to slow down and know Him. :nabble_smiley_good:

Anyway, if Bill doesn't chime in I'll rattle his cage.

We are also, for the first time, having an in-house winter meeting in late January. It will run Monday-Friday. The elders have selected specific topics and have assigned deacons and men of the congregation to speak on those topics.

I know of a congregation in the Akron area doing a themed meeting on living victoriously for the Lord, where they intend to meet for 8 Thursdays from January-February.

It is a good opportunity to press folks a bit to help them to grow and a meeting like these seems to yield some fruit. I remind people all the time that the greatest times of Christian growth in history came through oppression and adversity. So, why not get out of our comfort zones for a bit. :nabble_smiley_good:

We are also, for the first time, having an in-house winter meeting in late January. It will run Monday-Friday. The elders have selected specific topics and have assigned deacons and men of the congregation to speak on those topics.

I know of a congregation in the Akron area doing a themed meeting on living victoriously for the Lord, where they intend to meet for 8 Thursdays from January-February.

It is a good opportunity to press folks a bit to help them to grow and a meeting like these seems to yield some fruit. I remind people all the time that the greatest times of Christian growth in history came through oppression and adversity. So, why not get out of our comfort zones for a bit. :nabble_smiley_good:

Having the deacons speak is a good idea for a number of reasons, including learning to speak to the congregation. Elders frequently need to do that, and it is good to be comfortable doing so. But it is also good to get them to delivering a message beyond a report on the status of their ministry. Yes, people need to be pushed out of their comfort zone to grow.

God's plan is for us to grow into something approaching His image, and that requires change. That's not always comfortable, but it is always necessary.

Anyway, that bore scope should be a big help. Hopefully you can find the problem.

Speaking of which, I had a thought - perhaps someone put too long of a bolt in a blind hole and cracked the block there. Or, someone drilled out a stripped bolt hole and went too far.

I say this because Rusty's 351M had a head with an exhaust bolt hole that had been drilled out and in doing so they "hit water". Bill/85LebaronT2 reminded me that my Chrysler RB 383 has "wet" exhaust bolt holes, meaning that you have to use sealant on them as they go into the water jacket. So I used sealant and the problem was solved.

Maybe you have a bolt hole that has either been drilled out too far or someone tightened a too-long bolt too much and now there's an opening into the cooling passage. If so, you can do as I did and use sealant on it.

Speaking of which, I had a thought - perhaps someone put too long of a bolt in a blind hole and cracked the block there. Or, someone drilled out a stripped bolt hole and went too far.

I say this because Rusty's 351M had a head with an exhaust bolt hole that had been drilled out and in doing so they "hit water". Bill/85LebaronT2 reminded me that my Chrysler RB 383 has "wet" exhaust bolt holes, meaning that you have to use sealant on them as they go into the water jacket. So I used sealant and the problem was solved.

Maybe you have a bolt hole that has either been drilled out too far or someone tightened a too-long bolt too much and now there's an opening into the cooling passage. If so, you can do as I did and use sealant on it.

My 1984 302 has the "wet" head bolt holes in the block that require sealant. Not sure if this is the case with the taller deck 351 or not? I understand Ford stopped doing this on the 302 at some point, but it's not really clear to me when this happened. I've read that the 5.0 blocks have blind head bolt holes, and the 302 has through holes into the coolant. Was there an official change over date when a 302 legally became a 5.0?...LOL.

Anyway, back to the 351 leak. This sure is an odd one. With no visible leak "up top", it sure is puzzling what is going on inside the bell housing.

The 3-5 minute timeline before it happens makes it sound like something is opening up after it warms up.

Is this thing getting up to full operating temp on the gauge?

Stupid question, but has it been confirmed that the thermostat is opening up?

I guess what seems odd to me is that it is leaking badly enough one would tend to think that the crack would be fairly obvious (if there was one), as they are usually marked by some residue or rust, etc. If it's building up enough pressure to push through a crack, it should also be pushing out through the rad cap too, shouldn't it? Unless it's a big crack...

Anyway, one last thought...

What exactly happens when one or both of the head gaskets are installed backwards? I remember reading of this SBF issue in the past, but I forget exactly what problem occurs when this happens. Doesn't it cause severe overheating in one or a couple cylinders? What would be the result if this were the case?

I'll let you know how well it works!!
Wow - that's about 2x as much $ as the one I linked. Yeah, I'm curious to know how it does for you.

BTW

My computer crashed this morning & apparently has some nasty virus, so I may go incommunicado for while... I'm shopping for a new system (this one is quite old).

I'll let you know how well it works!!
Wow - that's about 2x as much $ as the one I linked. Yeah, I'm curious to know how it does for you.BTWMy computer crashed this morning & apparently has some nasty virus, so I may go incommunicado for while... I'm shopping for a new system (this one is quite old).
I did opt for one with a bit more user reviews (not that you can always trust that either) but I think the cost comes from the wireless option, which I’m not sure if it really matters. I just thought with all the tech manufactures always switching up their ports and plug ins, I might be better off with a wireless version. The jury is still out on that for sure.

Good luck on the hunt for a new computer!

Jamie Helmick

Proverbs 3:5-7