Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

There are several of us on here with active faith. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the interior color, go to the certification label decoder and you will see Body on the bottom line. Click that blue box and it'll take you to the Body Codes page where you can decode what you find there. I'll bet that the 2nd character will be "H", meaning tan, as shown in the table, since there was only one color like that for '85. (You can use my table at the top or scroll waaaaaay down to the 1985 table from Ford.)

Then click on the link above the table to go to the Interior Paint page, where you'll see the same table but with an adder to the right showing that SEM calls that paint Desert Tan and the paint code is 3040.

Unfortunately any 4-digit code isn't off-the-shelf, so you'll have to find a SEM dealer that will mix it for you. But there are supposed to be lots of them around, so hopefully that won't be difficult. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Very glad to hear of many here putting God first. One of the main reasons this Forum is so much better than so many others!

On the paint: Thanks for the info.! I should have just asked first because you produced in less than 12 hours (I think) what took me nearly 4 days to figure out... Sadly, the SEM folks say their closest "mixer" is about 1.5 hours a way and it would run me $40-$45 per aerosol can and I would have to but at least a quart of the mix and only about 4 oz. of paint go in a rattle can. My math tells me that would be 8 cans and at that cost, I can't do it. I did find a guy at a NAPA that seems to be relatively well known locally for mixing paint so I am giving him a crack at it. I just don't have the confidence it will be the same quality of paint like SEM that is specifically formulated for plastics and vinyl... I sure wish there was a better option.

On another note, I am getting ready to fire the bronco up tonight but I had two questions.

1 - Any idea what size bolts are used for where the transmission shift linkage bolts to the housing of the transmission? I had all these in little bins and labeled, but these lost sheep evidently didn't make it.I did "light a candle and sweep the house" but they didn't turn up. I'm sure I'll find them once the project is over. 🙃

2 - I am leaking some fluid out of where the neutral safety switch bolts on. It seems to be coming out of where the shaft goes into the housing. Man, I sure hope this can be remedied from outside the transmission. If I have to pull that thing one more time I'll go crazy!! I just don't want ANY leaks on this thing and I'm telling you I'm about to rename this project for all the leaks I've had!!! 😣

Any help is always appreciated. Have a good day all!

Very glad to hear of many here putting God first. One of the main reasons this Forum is so much better than so many others!

On the paint: Thanks for the info.! I should have just asked first because you produced in less than 12 hours (I think) what took me nearly 4 days to figure out... Sadly, the SEM folks say their closest "mixer" is about 1.5 hours a way and it would run me $40-$45 per aerosol can and I would have to but at least a quart of the mix and only about 4 oz. of paint go in a rattle can. My math tells me that would be 8 cans and at that cost, I can't do it. I did find a guy at a NAPA that seems to be relatively well known locally for mixing paint so I am giving him a crack at it. I just don't have the confidence it will be the same quality of paint like SEM that is specifically formulated for plastics and vinyl... I sure wish there was a better option.

Yipes, that would be 'spensive! Hopefully the NAPA guy can mix it to match. Perhaps you can get the formula if he does?

Yipes, that would be 'spensive! Hopefully the NAPA guy can mix it to match. Perhaps you can get the formula if he does?

Not a bad suggestion for sure!

He is about 45 minutes away but is working everything through the Napa about 20 minutes away so that helps!

I am anxious to see what he comes up with for sure!

On another note, I am getting ready to fire the bronco up tonight but I had two questions.

1 - Any idea what size bolts are used for where the transmission shift linkage bolts to the housing of the transmission? I had all these in little bins and labeled, but these lost sheep evidently didn't make it.I did "light a candle and sweep the house" but they didn't turn up. I'm sure I'll find them once the project is over. 🙃

2 - I am leaking some fluid out of where the neutral safety switch bolts on. It seems to be coming out of where the shaft goes into the housing. Man, I sure hope this can be remedied from outside the transmission. If I have to pull that thing one more time I'll go crazy!! I just don't want ANY leaks on this thing and I'm telling you I'm about to rename this project for all the leaks I've had!!! 😣

Which bolt(s) do you mean? Maybe they aren't in this view?

And 7B498 is the seal, but I will have to look to see how it comes out.

C6_Linkage.thumb.jpg.2648fbfcaf542b14292965309d7dae48.jpg

The bolts that go in here to mount the little arm that hold all the linkage, that's coming down from the shifter, in place for its pivot points.

Couldn't find them in the catalog. :nabble_smiley_cry: But I remembered that I have a C6 in the attic. :nabble_smiley_good:

They are 3/8-16, and the bottom hole is blind with just over 6 turns of threads, about 3/8". So the bolt may be about 3/8" long, or maybe 1/2" if there is a lock washer and the bracket.

And here's the replacement procedure for seal D5AZ 7B498-A:

DSCN3278.thumb.jpg.5de441e6203c5ca606f78939aad19636.jpg

DSCN3279.thumb.jpg.7c0de0006f55f85d3ec0b631fa45f768.jpg

Luke 15:8 :nabble_anim_handshake:

Luke 15:8 :nabble_anim_handshake:

Yes, I forgot to mention that passage. :nabble_smiley_good: