Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

Awesome project! Thanks for sharing 😀

You do very nice work :nabble_anim_claps:

I wholeheartedly agree!

There's something that turns me on about seeing an old rusty part (axle, frame, bracket, whatever) that gets cleaned up and painted with fresh black paint...even if nobody else can ever see it, it still is something to just stand back and look at for a while...lol.

Awesome project! Thanks for sharing 😀

You do very nice work :nabble_anim_claps:

I wholeheartedly agree!

There's something that turns me on about seeing an old rusty part (axle, frame, bracket, whatever) that gets cleaned up and painted with fresh black paint...even if nobody else can ever see it, it still is something to just stand back and look at for a while...lol.

Yes, it looks like a wonderful project, especially when you have your kids involved. :nabble_smiley_good:

More tomorrow... Gotta get some shut eye.

Man, putting this all together helps me see how much progress has actually been made. Sure doesn't seem like it at the time that's for sure!:nabble_smiley_thinking:

WOW!

You have got a lot done there! I wish I could do the same to mine, maybe one day I will have an inside space to work in!

I appreciate the encouragement guys! I will hopefully load the work on the brakes, the lift, and setting the motor this evening.

Question though:

I finally figured out what I was missing to get Ferdinand to take his first "snort" (will share that one as well. Let's just say never overlook the obvious...)

However, I get the motor to crank and run (albeit rough) but would next step be to try and time it? That seems the next logical step to me. And if so, any thoughts on where to start? Ive heard things in the neighborhood of 10-15 degrees BTDC. I have never don't this before so I would really rather not screw something up and create more work for myself! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

I appreciate the encouragement guys! I will hopefully load the work on the brakes, the lift, and setting the motor this evening.

Question though:

I finally figured out what I was missing to get Ferdinand to take his first "snort" (will share that one as well. Let's just say never overlook the obvious...)

However, I get the motor to crank and run (albeit rough) but would next step be to try and time it? That seems the next logical step to me. And if so, any thoughts on where to start? Ive heard things in the neighborhood of 10-15 degrees BTDC. I have never don't this before so I would really rather not screw something up and create more work for myself! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Did you get any instructions on break-in on the engine? Lots of new cams are supposed to be run at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes w/o stop to break them in.

On the timing, anything between TDC and 10 degrees BTDC would be fine for getting it started. You can always fine tune it later, after break-in.

On the rough running, make sure you have the plug wires on in the right order. Beyond that, the rings have to seat to get good compression, so sometimes engines don't settle down for several minutes.

I am not sure if I am doing this right, but I wanted you guys to hear this thing fire up... Now don't laugh. It doesn't sound too pretty, but I was on a 6 day stump trying to figure out why this thing wouldn't crank.

So excuse my enthusiasm for not a whole lot of run time. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Did you get any instructions on break-in on the engine? Lots of new cams are supposed to be run at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes w/o stop to break them in.

On the timing, anything between TDC and 10 degrees BTDC would be fine for getting it started. You can always fine tune it later, after break-in.

On the rough running, make sure you have the plug wires on in the right order. Beyond that, the rings have to seat to get good compression, so sometimes engines don't settle down for several minutes.

Gary, I will have to check. I don't remember them giving me anything specific on engine break-in but then again, that was back in February. So, I will check with my cousin and see. The 20 minute run time sounds familiar though.

I am not sure if I am doing this right, but I wanted you guys to hear this thing fire up... Now don't laugh. It doesn't sound too pretty, but I was on a 6 day stump trying to figure out why this thing wouldn't crank.

So excuse my enthusiasm for not a whole lot of run time. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I know that excitement! When I got my bronco to fire up after a new carb and dizzy I did a lap around the house!!!