Bullnose Forums

Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

A NOS dealer-installed kit would be the best way to go for a number of reasons. First, because you'll have everything you need. Second, because there should be no wiring to do save for power and ground. Third, because if it is the Dana-sourced unit it is more flexible/adjustable than the one Ford used from the factory.

If you go with the bits/pieces for a Bullnose system you'll need the steering wheel pad, the wire harness that connects the steering column to the main harness and to the amplifier, the wiring harness from the amplifier to the servo, the vacuum hose and dump valve for the brake, the servo & associated horn relay, the vacuum hose from the vacuum source to the servo, the transducer that gets the speed from the speedo cable, and the cable that goes to the carb - and it just needs to be long enough but there's lots of flexibility.

The later unit will need basically the same thing except that there is no amplifier as all of the electronics is in the unit under the hood and replaces the Bullnose vacuum servo. And, there probably isn't a harness/cable that will plug into the Bullnose steering column & main harness and plug into the unit under the hood. So you would have to make that using a Bullnose speed control harness - although that's not difficult and we can walk you through it.

And on the speed sensor/transducer question, either the one that goes in the middle of the cable and below the brake booster or the one that goes in the tranny/t-case and uses the cable you already have will work. But the best for you would be the one that goes in the tranny/t-case. You just unplug your speedo cable, plug this unit in, and connect your speedo cable to it. But you do need the 1986 - 87 wiring harness to the amplifier as the earlier harness expects the transducer to be under the brake booster. Or you can extend the harness, like I did, and it is only two wires so it is easy. And that transducer works with the factory Bullnose system or the later system.

Here's the listing from the MPC for what a kit involves:

Nice! With your help, I feel progressing!

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Planing IS project progress (says the architect).

:nabble_smiley_wink:

The later unit will need basically the same thing except that there is no amplifier as all of the electronics is in the unit under the hood and replaces the Bullnose vacuum servo.

What about this puzzle pieces:

- NOS Dealer Installed Kit;

- "Later" (probably 1993) electronic Module+Servo+Cable

- Horn pad (if possible to replace the turn signal Dealer Installed Kit).

Q:

1-Is this a Frankenstein assembly, or this could simplify my parts quest?

2-Is a E8TZ-9A818A kit compatible, offers some advantages over a E4TZ-9A818A kit? Or forget about it, too complicated or tweak generator while fitting in a Bullnose...

3-Doesn't matters for me to play behind the cluster (have some other things to do there). Do you know what kind of Speed Sensor come with each of these kits?

4-Is it complicated to avoid the kit's turn signal arm switch and replace it buy a horn pad?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about this puzzle pieces:

- NOS Dealer Installed Kit;

- "Later" (probably 1993) electronic Module+Servo+Cable

- Horn pad (if possible to replace the turn signal Dealer Installed Kit).

A later dealer-installed kit could probably be made to work but will take some electrical interfacing as it won't be plug & play.

Q:

1-Is this a Frankenstein assembly, or this could simplify my parts quest?

2-Is a E8TZ-9A818A kit compatible, offers some advantages over a E4TZ-9A818A kit? Or forget about it, too complicated or tweak generator while fitting in a Bullnose...

3-Doesn't matters for me to play behind the cluster (have some other things to do there). Do you know what kind of Speed Sensor come with each of these kits?

4-Is it complicated to avoid the kit's turn signal arm switch and replace it buy a horn pad?

I think I answered Q1 & Q2 as later kits could be made to work but would take some electrical interfacing.

Q3: Up until sometime in the 90's they all used the same sensor/transducer that the 1986 trucks did, the one that plugs into the transmission or t-case. But some time in the 90's they did away with that and it comes off the rear axle, and I don't know when that was.

Q4: The steering column is already wired for the factory-style speed control. You just need the horn pad with the speed control buttons and the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier on a Bullnose unit.

The dealer-installed speed controls usually mounted a switch on the turn signal, and that switch is totally different than the switches in the horn pad, and to use the horn pad switches with a dealer-installed speed control would be difficult. Very difficult.

I think I answered Q1 & Q2 as later kits could be made to work but would take some electrical interfacing.

Gary, do you consider a E8TZ-9A818A kit as a "later" one? Or you are referring to a 90-91-92 & Up Dealer Kit (if so, do you know its part number)?

Q4: The steering column is already wired for the factory-style speed control. You just need the horn pad with the speed control buttons and the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier on a Bullnose unit.

The dealer-installed speed controls usually mounted a switch on the turn signal, and that switch is totally different than the switches in the horn pad, and to use the horn pad switches with a dealer-installed speed control would be difficult. Very difficult.

Need to step back, sorry...

A- Since my "ultimate" goal would be a "later" electronic module/servo/cable controlled by a horn pad, is there any gain to buy a Dealer Installed Kit? It is worth to buy one, even I'll have to drop some parts (control module, servo, amplifier, harness), meaning that a lot of other included parts will be useful (clips, relays, cable, cable attachement, Speed Sensor, clutch switch, brake switch, or others)?

B- Talking about the amplifier, is the «the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier» the one you had to extend to directly reach the "later" module you installed (since no amplifier required)?

:nabble_anim_confused:

I have an NOS dealer add-on cruise control package that I'm hoping to start installing this weekend for my '86. I will be sure to get photos of all the parts and plan to scan in the instructions so Gary can post them on here. That being said, I have no experience with these early style units so it should be a bit of an adventure.

LOL fords4Life, I just saw that you purchased it on February 2020.

Are you really planning to install it this weekend?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

More seriously, do you have a pict of what's inside the box?

And did you find the famous 9A819 part (clutch switch, I suppose)?

LOL fords4Life, I just saw that you purchased it on February 2020.

Are you really planning to install it this weekend?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

More seriously, do you have a pict of what's inside the box?

And did you find the famous 9A819 part (clutch switch, I suppose)?

Yeah, life and covid happened and the project got put on hold, but I'm back in full swing on getting the whole truck finished(mechanically anyway). I did get the clutch switch, that was actually fairly easy to find at the time. My plan for this weekend is to focus on replacing my gauge cluster and doing the interior work for the cruise control. If I'm lucky I'll get the upper intake manifold installed as well, but likely won't have enough time to get the full kit installed. I will be sure to get photos of everything I received.

Gary, do you consider a E8TZ-9A818A kit as a "later" one? Or you are referring to a 90-91-92 & Up Dealer Kit (if so, do you know its part number)?

Need to step back, sorry...

A- Since my "ultimate" goal would be a "later" electronic module/servo/cable controlled by a horn pad, is there any gain to buy a Dealer Installed Kit? It is worth to buy one, even I'll have to drop some parts (control module, servo, amplifier, harness), meaning that a lot of other included parts will be useful (clips, relays, cable, cable attachement, Speed Sensor, clutch switch, brake switch, or others)?

B- Talking about the amplifier, is the «the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier» the one you had to extend to directly reach the "later" module you installed (since no amplifier required)?

:nabble_anim_confused:

Jeff - I’m visiting grandkids and can’t spend much time on your questions. However, I’m not sure that what we are seeing in kits in the catalog are what I mean by “dealer installed”. I think the systems we are seeing in the MPC are factory systems that could be added to a vehicle by the dealer.

But if you go look at the Accessories catalogs I think you’ll find another system that is what I mean by “dealer installed”. In some years, if not all, it was a system supplied by Dana and the switch mounted on the turn signal lever. Totally and completely different from the factory system.

Someone needs to look at the parts in the kits and see if my theory is right that it is a factory system. If so you can either buy one of those or use it as a parts list for making your own.

Jeff - I’m visiting grandkids and can’t spend much time on your questions.

Gary, please don't rush with my questions, I'm not urging anyone!

Spend this so precious time with your family, this is the only priority!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Broke out the box last night. Started taking photos and started on the install. Unfortunately what was supposed to be a complete kit was not. I'm missing the wiring harness, speedo cable sensor, and the vacuum reservoir is cracked.

Unfortunately I don't the original seller will do anything about it with as long as it's been. Fortunately all of those pieces are available. But now the dash will sit torn apart for a little longer.