Bullnose Forums

Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

Ok, some progress gathering puzzle pieces.

The harness has to be from a Bullnose and preferably from an '84 since that's what you have.

Tried hard, but the only one I found was an ´86. From the only remaining Bullnose (yep, ONE) at my local salvage yard (they have couple of Bricknoses, and more Aeronoses).

Luckily, was Factory Installed Speed Control equipped.

Only drawback, they cut the harness when they sold the steering column (blue circle).

So, I asked to cut the cluster harness in order to keep the connector (red line) and re-wire the female plug:

On the relay, I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure my horn on Big Blue is running from a regular Bosch cube relay and it works on the later electronic speed controls.

Anyway, they gave me the relay (green circle) and the Amplifier with the harness.

If I have to change the horn relay for a more recent model, will I have to wire it or will it plug directly in the existing relay connector?

I’m not sure that harness will help much. There are supposed to be 3 connectors on it - 2 curved ones and the rectangular one to the module.

I may have an extra and as we get closer maybe other things - like a relay. I don’t know if the new control likes the old relay but it like a Bosch relay and I have plenty of those.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not sure that harness will help much. There are supposed to be 3 connectors on it - 2 curved ones and the rectangular one to the module.

I may have an extra and as we get closer maybe other things - like a relay. I don’t know if the new control likes the old relay but it like a Bosch relay and I have plenty of those.

Well, for me it looks pretty complete (excepted the cut part).

Am I wrong?

6D3182A2-9BC3-444D-B206-8534BDA3D83A.jpeg.0fa1316a8059a34360277ec7e792a9f6.jpeg

If I reconnect the female connector, will I get a complete harness?

2A0630D2-8A4D-4306-90AE-9F2AAAFA707A.jpeg.c430f5c5c8c8e734cd10bef363a1b780.jpeg

Thanks Gary!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Well, for me it looks pretty complete (excepted the cut part).

Am I wrong?

If I reconnect the female connector, will I get a complete harness?

Thanks Gary!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Jeff, with the piece of harness you cut, that is the plug you need to mate with your steering column. Match the wires and splice them.

Didn't get much done on mine this weekend, but here's a couple photos of the wiring harness and speedometer sensor I had to order.

It looks really different than the Fatory Installed Speed Control.

I am wondering about its behavior, does the Dealer Installed Kit operates more "smoothly"? Is it more/less "accurate", more/less comparable to a later electronic model...

Or maybe it gives exactly the same result than the factory installed.

Waiting for your road test and comments!

:nabble_smiley_good:

It looks really different than the Fatory Installed Speed Control.

I am wondering about its behavior, does the Dealer Installed Kit operates more "smoothly"? Is it more/less "accurate", more/less comparable to a later electronic model...

Or maybe it gives exactly the same result than the factory installed.

Waiting for your road test and comments!

:nabble_smiley_good:

I know you didn't ask that question of me, but I'll answer nonetheless as I've just had a realization.

There were apparently three different aftermarket speed/cruise control systems sold by Ford through their Accessories catalog and parts counters. There's E2AZ 9A818-A, E3AZ, and E4AZ. But E2 and E3 are almost identical as they use the same regulator and switch, but different sensors. Both of these are supplied by Dana and use a switch that clips on the turn signal switch, as shown in the bottom-left pic from the 1982 accessories catalog. But E4AZ was built by Specific Cruise System and uses a switch that replaces the turn signal lever, as shown on the bottom right from the 1984 catalog.

I can't speak to E4AZ, but I did have one of the Dana speed controls on my 1980 Citation and loved it. It had adjustments for how close you wanted the system to keep the speed and how aggressive it was to be in doing so.

Speed_Control_Header.jpg.796d58766fa78d5cf459557a49022d68.jpgE2AZ_9A818_Speed_Control_Kit.jpg.de8e582e681712c1a742074fa747fb15.jpgLater_Two_Speed_Control_Kits.jpg.530cac3279fc3edc38246c4a54d75a29.jpg

1982_Dana_Speed_Control_Catalog_Pic.thumb.jpg.7b7aa2d1edddbd8c89a1266fe2a58ce0.jpgLater_Speed_Control_Catalog_Pic.thumb.jpg.14769611b9f4ab342a39f3ca8205b1f2.jpg