Bullnose Forums

Replacement radiator...

My son has a 1984 F150 with 4.9L engine, manual transmission and factory AC.

His radiator is the original and will soon need to be replaced. As a matter of fact, the entire truck is quite original and his desire is to maintain it that way for as long as possible.

Please share with me your ideas and possibly an engineering number as who knows, one may exist somewhere! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Thanks in advance!

The copper replacement that I put in mine looked just like the original, but unfortunately I don’t have any information about it as far as brand, source etc., It was new in the box and came with the 4x4 donor. It was the extra cooling option model, so it was wider and required different hoses but the appearance of the tanks, core, mounting etc., were exactly like OEM.

Last fall, I decided to replace Big Bro's small original one for a larger. Wanted a copper one, ideally OEM.

Every manufacturer I found on the web was BO. And it is not cheap.

So I went to my local salvage yard and they had a clean one. I sent it for testing, came back tested, good shape, cleaned and painted. All for 100$.

Maybe I was just lucky.

OEM, so fitted like a new.

Good luck finding a replacement. I have the same setup (other than AT instead of MT) and I ended up having to graft on 1985 radiator mounts as 1985+ radiators are still in production (or at least still available in many forms) while 1980-1984's are not made anywhere I could find.

I concur that it may be better to find a shop that can repair it if it's repairable... I had no choice (Bambi "ate" it)