Bullnose Forums

Electric Fans: Taurus, Mark VIII, Something else?

Let's talk electric fans.

I got a hold of a 2 speed Taurus fan for cheap. I was thinking about installing it in a custom aluminum shroud. Then I heard about the Mark VIII fan (and the T-bird and Crown Vic fan), and now I'm wondering if I should try to make that work instead. Check out this thread for a discussion on the specs and differences: Mark VII Thread

I have the amps to spare and I'm going to get a custom shroud and controller made either way, so my question is which of these fans should I use? I have a 460 and a Champion radiator (2" thick). Which of these fans is the most powerful and still fits in front of our water pump? Anybody install any of these? I read here that @jacob84 installed a Taurus fan. How'd that go?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to tag Scott/kramttocs as he's played with electric fans on his 460 - and has had some problems. But so far I'm sticking with the mechanical fan so don't have any experience to add.

Thanks Gary.

More details are in the Camano thread but I have the unbranded Champion with the shroud -flat aluminum style with two fan holes and two sets of louvers.

It came with some junk fans that were terrible. I then switched to two Spal fans which required enlarging the holes some. These work absolutely great. I've towed with them and spent time in stop/go traffic with high outdoor temps (worst probably being in Tulsa during the last truck show) and haven't had any issues at all. This is the 460 with A/C and factory oil/tranny coolers. So there is a lot to pull through.

One of the best things about them is that I have them powered all the time. This has completely eliminated hot start issues.

This does incur some idle draw but it hasn't caused me any issues to the point where I've looked for a smarter controller or more elaborate relay/timer setup.

Several items, first, if you have a bad or cheap fan clutch on a 460 it isn't going to work, second, there is virtually no room for most electric fans between the radiator and water pump shaft with a 460 due to it's length.

You have to keep in mind, when Ford redesigned the F series and Bronco body and chassis for the 1980 model year, they had no intention of continuing the 460 in them. Thus the frame rail width, front crossmember and engine compartment were designed around the 351M and 400 to be the "big" engines, length was dictated by the 300 six.

Everything was fine until Ford started loosing sales to GM as they still had the 454 available.

Bottom line, the 460 is shoehorned into a space that wasn't designed for it and has to share it's radiator size with a 302. Since the engine sits a bit to the right, a Thunderbird (1996 model is the one I have) 2 speed electric fan will fit, if positioned to the left of center so it clears the water pump shaft. It is a pretty powerful fan. You will need some foam like you put around a window AC unit where the edge of the fan is off center behind the radiator to force the air to come through the radiator, or a sheet metal closure with some flaps that will push open at speed.

Wiring, I can use my EEC to control it, without one, you need some creative wiring two high temperature warning light switches, one for 200°F and one for 225°F, a relay if you have AC.

The fan needs to come on low with the AC compressor or at 200°F and if it is on with the AC and the engine reaches 200°F then switch to high and if on from engine temperature of 200°F and it climbs to 225°F then it should also switch to high.

there is virtually no room for most electric fans between the radiator and water pump shaft with a 460 due to it's length.

This is something worth noting when looking at using the shroud/fan setup from another vehicle vs the champion one. With the champion one there is plenty of clearance since it's pretty much just a 1" deep flat wall (with holes of course). With others from cars with hoods a mile long, it's a different story.

Edit: just looked at that link for the Mark VIII and those don't actually look that deep

there is virtually no room for most electric fans between the radiator and water pump shaft with a 460 due to it's length.

This is something worth noting when looking at using the shroud/fan setup from another vehicle vs the champion one. With the champion one there is plenty of clearance since it's pretty much just a 1" deep flat wall (with holes of course). With others from cars with hoods a mile long, it's a different story.

Edit: just looked at that link for the Mark VIII and those don't actually look that deep

The Thunderbird one is pretty thin, if you don't have the motor directly in line with the water pump pulley. Considering that the MKVIII is on the same body as the T-bird (maybe a slightly older one) the V8 one might be the same, mine came from a 1996 V6 model.

Scott - Does the fact that you have two fans help with the depth available?

Scott - Does the fact that you have two fans help with the depth available?

Definitely - thanks for pointing that out as I should have clarified.

Here you can see a top down image and the comment that even if it was all lined up there is still clearance.

Now, my 'plenty' may not the the same as someone else :nabble_smiley_beam:

Definitely - thanks for pointing that out as I should have clarified.

Here you can see a top down image and the comment that even if it was all lined up there is still clearance.

Now, my 'plenty' may not the the same as someone else :nabble_smiley_beam:

I thought of the clearance that two fans give because my brother is needing to put more cooling on his '54 Skyliner. But the water pump pulley is very close to the radiator and unless he goes with two fans it ain't gonna happen.

I thought of the clearance that two fans give because my brother is needing to put more cooling on his '54 Skyliner. But the water pump pulley is very close to the radiator and unless he goes with two fans it ain't gonna happen.

First off, thank you all for not turning this into a debate over electrical vs. mechanical fans.

If one were to use a single fan, like the 16" Taurus, could it simply be mounted off center to allow clearance for the water pump pulley or is that unrealistic? Again, assuming I'm making my own shroud. Anyone ever heard of that working?