Bullnose Forums

Front sway bar crossmember

Hello everyone, I managed to bend up my front sway bar crossmember over the winter after backing into a ditch, from the frame really flexing hard. After putting the bar back in and straightening it as best I could the links are stressed and the bar doesn't reach one side so I threw a super long bolt in so it's at least connected. The bar itself appears to be straight.

I'm looking to replace the front crossmember with this style if anyone has one. Bone yards up here in NY are dry and I don't have much time to look for them either.

86_crossmember_(Medium).jpg.3a259d03a908825169c6bcbe8451a0c1.jpg

If anyone has one they are willing to part with please let me know.

Ha! That's an old picture of mine.

Those crossmembers are pretty flimsy and a lot of people end up hooking tow chains to them (I've ruined a few of them like that when I was younger).

I threw a really good one away a few years ago because nobody wanted it around here. Bugger.

Good luck.

Ha! That's an old picture of mine.

Those crossmembers are pretty flimsy and a lot of people end up hooking tow chains to them (I've ruined a few of them like that when I was younger).

I threw a really good one away a few years ago because nobody wanted it around here. Bugger.

Good luck.

That's what happened to mine, apparently - someone hooked a chain to it and yanked the truck at some point, tweaking the crossmember. Doesn't seem to affect the sway bar, and once I do the SAS on it, I'll likely be looking to put a (reinforced) "standard" crossmember in it's place.

i found one in the parts room today but I'm pretty certain it is for the newer years as the bolt holes for the sway bar are different than the one in the picture. I will look at the shop when I get back there. I think we have a parts truck with one.

i found one in the parts room today but I'm pretty certain it is for the newer years as the bolt holes for the sway bar are different than the one in the picture. I will look at the shop when I get back there. I think we have a parts truck with one.

One day, if I get motivated, I’ll replace that crossbar on my truck tat I bent with a chain trying to get it unstuck… replace it with a universal tow hitch because I haven’t been able to find a front town bar built by a company.

Of course, you have a sway bar so that might get things complicated to attach it to the tow bar.

I'd be willing to change it to the newer style.

The bar seems to be fine but now that it's tweaked the ends of the bar barely reach the links, like it's too short on one side.