Bullnose Forums

Ill Fitting Aftermarket Parts.....ARGHHHH!

Last week after installing some new headlights (More on headlights later), I noted that the upper and lower radiator trim on my truck looked a little ragged. I also noted that both front wheel well moldings had dents and dings in them and so I decided to replace those parts using NPD. LMG was out of stock on some items, so I just went with NPD.

IMG_6174.thumb.jpeg.5d5cf40f71fa9edb12631e29959a13eb.jpeg

Yesterday, I had planned to put those parts on the truck starting with the wheel well moldings. Unfortunately, that did not happened due to the modifications required to get them to fit. First thing I had to do was cut recesses in the molding to provide clearance for the inner fender screws. Second thing, was the molding came with mounting holes that did not line up, so I had to drill new holes. And finally, as the front edge exceeded the length of the fender, I had to bend that over, which I did with the palm of my hand. They work and I'm good with them but dang that was a lot of time spent to get them to fit.

IMG_6182.thumb.jpeg.e671f1d57264ca2e6751f9b3eebc1357.jpeg

IMG_6185.thumb.jpeg.6e12aceca0a4913697402018e31c8b70.jpeg

IMG_6187.thumb.jpeg.396d511a27c06e1740541d9f918e19d6.jpeg

IMG_6190.thumb.jpeg.038689e1afa4196a805a3ca162092fce.jpeg

Yes, I'd noticed the wheel well trim being dinged a fortnight ago. But no, I've not replaced it so have no experience. But it is a bummer that it fit that poorly! :nabble_smiley_cry:

As for the grille trim, what are you going to do?

That one wheel Arch trim looks like it belongs on the back instead of the front.

Weird. :nabble_anim_confused: Could it have been mislabeled?

I've had to replace one front and one rear arch trim, and they fit well, but they were genuine Ford.

I would not use those ones you got myself. Especially if it does not fit right.

I've used Dennis Carpenter stuff with good results.

Good luck

That one wheel Arch trim looks like it belongs on the back instead of the front.

Weird. :nabble_anim_confused: Could it have been mislabeled?

I've had to replace one front and one rear arch trim, and they fit well, but they were genuine Ford.

I would not use those ones you got myself. Especially if it does not fit right.

I've used Dennis Carpenter stuff with good results.

Good luck

Good point on the wheel well trim possibly being the rear. Package said the front but I think I'll check that out. Where does one acquire Dennis Carpenter Parts?

Regardless, going to contact NPD and let them know about these. I buy a lot of stuff from NPD for my Mustang and they are typically very selective about what they sell.

The other thing that really miffs me is that I spent a lot of time blacking out the areas on the radiator trim to match my OEM parts. This included sanding, taping off, priming with epoxy primer followed by semi gloss paint.....what a waste of time and materials!!!

IMG_6177.thumb.jpeg.27b61dd7cd1c9861fc0ac01a58d571b5.jpeg

IMG_6184.thumb.jpeg.546cfa5897ce6c5f493341f82b21b4da.jpeg

I know how that goes. Reproduction parts that are from overseas seem to be the worlds worse at fitment.

But that doesn't mean domestically produced reproduction parts are much better.

Ive been having a ball trying to find a voltage regulator connector for a GR819 regulator, everything I find that says it fits does not fit as it is for the oval GR814 regulator connector not the rectangular GR819 regulator. Even napa cant seem to get the right part either, for a 93-95 Crown Victoria they had the GR819 regulator nope only connector they swear fits that vehicle is the GR814 regulator connector.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to get out of the field cause nothing seems to be easy anymore and its getting just as bad with the replacement/reproduction market as well.

Good point on the wheel well trim possibly being the rear. Package said the front but I think I'll check that out. Where does one acquire Dennis Carpenter Parts?

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/exterior/body-mouldings/e0tz-16038-a-osfront-fender-wheel-opening

Sure looks like the right part! I sent an email out to NPD with pictures and they have responded. They are a great company so we'll see how this goes.

Thanks!

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/exterior/body-mouldings/e0tz-16038-a-osfront-fender-wheel-opening

Sure looks like the right part! I sent an email out to NPD with pictures and they have responded. They are a great company so we'll see how this goes.

Thanks!

Keep Us Posted.

Just like a good mystery, we like to know, "Who Done it" so to speak. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Keep Us Posted.

Just like a good mystery, we like to know, "Who Done it" so to speak. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I made my thoughts on my black grille from NPD known a few years ago here. It works, but the back of it was just absolutely ugly and obviously not a priority for whoever makes them. NPD is local to me so I also have bought many parts from them and I'm generally okay with what I buy, but when possible I've always bought the Dennis Carpenter repops that they sell and that has minimized my fitment issues.

I made my thoughts on my black grille from NPD known a few years ago here. It works, but the back of it was just absolutely ugly and obviously not a priority for whoever makes them. NPD is local to me so I also have bought many parts from them and I'm generally okay with what I buy, but when possible I've always bought the Dennis Carpenter repops that they sell and that has minimized my fitment issues.

It's been some back and forth with a kindly gentleman from NPD whom I think doesn't know our trucks very well. I say this because I think he thinks the part that they sent me, the part that I ordered, is for an XLT. From what I can tell, they don't even sell the XLT trim. I also told him that the part that they sent me would no way fit an XLT.

Also, told me that the radiator trim molding did not fit because I didn't have the headlight buckets in??? I didn't get him pictures of that, just a single picture of the curve as it runs along the top of my grille, which I posted above. I think it obvious, based on the above picture, that it would not fit directly in my headlight buckets. The part has a bow to it that doesn't even run correctly with my grill.

As such, had to send more pictures and explanation on things and may have to pull all my OEM stuff back off again and take pictures of the ill fitting parts on my truck. I'm trying to be nice, as I've always liked the way this company has done business and have never had an issue with my Mustang parts. Moreover, if these parts don't fit my truck, they sure aren't going to fit others and I'd sure think they'd want to know about it.

I'll keep you's posted!