Bullnose Forums

Transmission question

I don't remember the shift pattern on the NP435, but I'm guessing that the problem is just the shift linkage rather than internal to the transmission.

There's a diagnosis section in the General Manual Transmission Service document, which you can find at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/General Manual Transmission Service. And there's instructions on how to remove the transmission in the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/NP435.

Thank you, Gary! That'll be SO helpful. I'll do my homework!

Good luck, Tom! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Gary - I'm beginning to think you're first guess is correct. My first gear shaft won't go through the detents. Tried using a screwdriver to force it, but she's stuck. The larger yoke moves okay but the reverse pawl also feels stuck.

20230413_1237001.jpg.6af2e2dc3d3544d2e027a96da46c803c.jpg

Thinking I'm going to have to get this plug out -

Wonder what would keep this slider from moving, unless something's broken in two within.

20230413_1237171.jpg.9053b55b54e863c2bedbcb4cbd5740df.jpg

Gary - I'm beginning to think you're first guess is correct. My first gear shaft won't go through the detents. Tried using a screwdriver to force it, but she's stuck. The larger yoke moves okay but the reverse pawl also feels stuck.

Thinking I'm going to have to get this plug out -

Wonder what would keep this slider from moving, unless something's broken in two within.

Have you tried pulling the driveshaft and turning the engine a bit? Sometimes things get in a bind and you can't shift w/o relieving the bind.

Have you tried pulling the driveshaft and turning the engine a bit? Sometimes things get in a bind and you can't shift w/o relieving the bind.

Well, since the trouble began while driving, I kinda think something broke, snapped or unsprung. I can get two of the three shafts to slide and I'm thinking whatever's behind that plug might be the root cause of my shift troubles.

Hoping to take the top to a mechanic friend tomorrow for his opinion and will report back. Thanks again!

Well, since the trouble began while driving, I kinda think something broke, snapped or unsprung. I can get two of the three shafts to slide and I'm thinking whatever's behind that plug might be the root cause of my shift troubles.

Hoping to take the top to a mechanic friend tomorrow for his opinion and will report back. Thanks again!

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: