Bullnose Forums

What spare parts do you carry?

I'm wondering what spare parts people carry in their trucks, either all the time or for longer journeys?

Up to now, I haven't had any. About a year ago, the ignition control module on my HEI failed. I replaced the coil in a Jacks(not to be confused with 'Jack in the box') parking lot after my wife uber'd to get the part, but they didn't have the module in stock... We were close to home and the eventual tow was free. No real harm done, we only missed the drive-in movie.

This past weekend the truck died in a similar(though not really) way, only slightly further from home. We were down in Auburn, about a 100 miles away! I thought it was a distributor part again(apparently it's a common failure), so my wife uber'd again... She got both parts by visiting numerous parts stores. I changed them out, just in the road this time. Still nothing though, but I started to think it was a fuel and not ignition issue since it would occasionally start for a brief moment. I disconnected some lines and it appeared that fuel was getting through, but it was hard to test without getting fuel everywhere. Anyway, there wasn't a fuel pump in stock anywhere close and our options were limited being Sunday. So we got towed home... At great expense this time since I only have basic AAA, which really put me in the doghouse, rightly so.

Anyway, I changed out the pump yesterday(and upgraded AAA) and all is good. It was 3 years old with about 3000 miles on it, but I guess parts just aren't made the same as they were 40 years ago. Bottom line, in order for us to use my truck for mini-roadtrips I'll have to carry spare parts to prevent being stranded or being towed for anything less than an accident or major failure...

That's a good question, and I think it depends a lot on what you are driving.

Personally, I'm carrying fan belts, idler pulley, air filter, ignition module, and ECU.

I'm carrying every fluid my truck takes, plus some relays, fuses, and an extra belt.

I'm carrying every fluid my truck takes, plus some relays, fuses, and an extra belt.

Oh yes, I have relays and fuses of every kind. And nuts, bolts, screws, wire, tape, zip ties, etc.

As for tools, I have everything you can imagine and then some. Sockets, wrenches, & screwdrivers of all sizes, hammers, chisels, & punches.

Ignition module, fuses, usual light tools+tape+steel wire+WD40.

Plus a «spring/bolt/key» brake kit (yep, once lost on a 200 miles rough gravel road. Very annoying).

Some good ideas I would never have thought about, like the 'spring' on the caliper... And some I should have, like a starter solenoid. I recently did a PGMR conversion, but still.

And yes, I think the setup and condition of your truck would certainly dictate what and how much you would be inclined to lug along. Also the space available. An underhood toolbox or even better a saddle box in the bed would provide little excuse to not have something for most eventualities.

I have my spare under a tonneau cover in the bed already, so no reason I can't carry a big box full of spares along with it... I've carried a HF 130 piece tool set behind the seat from the start, but you can always have more.

Ignition module, fuses, usual light tools+tape+steel wire+WD40.

Plus a «spring/bolt/key» brake kit (yep, once lost on a 200 miles rough gravel road. Very annoying)

Did just the spring come out, or did the bolt back out?

Oh yes, I have relays and fuses of every kind. And nuts, bolts, screws, wire, tape, zip ties, etc.

As for tools, I have everything you can imagine and then some. Sockets, wrenches, & screwdrivers of all sizes, hammers, chisels, & punches.

Are you carrying more or less than you did in Dad's on your roadtrip/furniture haul east? I seem to remember a substantial spare parts list on that particular occasion...

Knocking on wood (since I'm 12 hrs from home on a 2700 mile adventure), but I don't carry much anymore. A quart of oil, some transmission fluid, a partial jug of washer fluid, a box of misc. vacuum port caps, and an assortment of bulbs and fuses. I also have a TFI tool (which is for carb choke use- my remote TFI uses allen cap screws) and a cheap Innova code reader/counter along with a 1/2 / 9/16 wrench, some screwdrivers, and a vice-grip multitool. I also have two timing lights behind the seat, but that has more to do with me not unloading my truck all the way from the last truck show :nabble_smiley_blush:.

To balance this light packing, I do a somewhat thorough inspection on the truck before long trips. Before the current trip, I changed my oil, tensioned the alternator and smog belts (the former is a common nuisance), and found/fixed a coolant leak due to a loose hose clamp. Oh, and topped off all fluids (other than the brakes, which were A-OK!).

I was going to pack a spare TFI module in the past, but ever since I obtained and installed a remote TFI, I haven't bothered. Maybe I should. I dunno.

Finally, I do have AAA and don't offroad, so my needs aren't as much as others. If I were overlanding or the like, things would be every different!