Bullnose Forums

Bucket Seat Seatbelt Standup Thingee?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this isn't going well at all. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I've tried everything I can think of and cannot get the end of the seatbelt, the bit that bolts to the floor, through the sheath. As you can see in the video the plate hits the twist kerthunk. And no amount of hot air, hot water, or lubrication has done anything but deform the sheath a bit.

I've broken the doubled Nylon string multiple times where it wraps around the hole in the plate, so I've padded that with tape. And placing it in the vise lets me pull on the sheath with both hands - wearing gloves. But regardless of how hard I've pulled the plate doesn't get past the point where it hits the twist.

So, here's my plan:
  1. New Belts: On Monday I'll call Seatbelt Planet and see if they'll sell a pair of sheaths with the inboard belts. (I'll also ask if they have a trick on getting the plate through there but don't really have any expectation that they have a better idea than what I've tried.)

Stitching: If they don't sell just the inboard belt at a reasonable price I'm thinking of cutting the stitching so the plate can be removed and then put back on after feeding it through the sheath. But I don't know what that would cost nor how quickly I could get it done.

Anyone have a better idea????

I'm surprised, I remember it went easily with heat. Bummer!

David - I think the second ones would, assuming the receivers will fit my belts, but at $225 they are pretty spendy. I appreciate it, but maybe Seatbelt Planet has what I need for less.

But a good pair of just the sleeves would work. Or, maybe a bad pair? It looks to me like the factory sheath are just enough larger than the ones from Seatbelt Planet to let the straight part of the new ones fit inside an old sheath. And since it is usually the top of the sheath that gets brittle this might be a way to fix earlier ones.

However, one of the pair of old sheaths is broken down low so isn't a candidate for grafting the new upper on.

Those are at a "less-bad" price, David. Would bolt right in. But that's still a lot of money. Thanks, but....

Dane - I'm convinced it will not go through. And the more I think about it the more I think Seatbelt Planet should take them back even though the one is somewhat deformed. They told me they'd fit and they won't.

Those are at a "less-bad" price, David. Would bolt right in. But that's still a lot of money. Thanks, but....

Dane - I'm convinced it will not go through. And the more I think about it the more I think Seatbelt Planet should take them back even though the one is somewhat deformed. They told me they'd fit and they won't.

As I've said my remeberer don't work as good as it used to.

But I've been thinking, I seem to remember trying it after putting the sleeve in boiling water and also with a heat gun. Maybe I did them with boiling water.

I looked at the pictures on Seat Belt Planet and JBG, and they look similar if not identical.

A "thunk" is not good though.

As I've said my remeberer don't work as good as it used to.

But I've been thinking, I seem to remember trying it after putting the sleeve in boiling water and also with a heat gun. Maybe I did them with boiling water.

I looked at the pictures on Seat Belt Planet and JBG, and they look similar if not identical.

A "thunk" is not good though.

Dane - If boiling water will do it then perhaps I should try that. I could pull out the camp stove that is ready to be loaded for the trip, set it on the work table where the heat gun is in that video, and boil away. That would let me have the string already clamped in the vise and be able to use both gloved hands on the sleeve.

As for the source, I think that is Seatbelt Solutions. They don't sell to consumers, just to dealers. So I'd bet that those from Seatbelt Planet, Seatbelts Plus, JBG, etc are the same.

Speaking Seatbelts Plus, I found this advert as I was scrolling through my news feed last night. Yep, it is a black sheath with seatbelt for $53. I paid $30 for the sheath alone, and at least one of my sheaths is returnable, so if the boiling water doesn't work then perhaps Seatbelt Planet has the sheath/belt combo in stock?

Seatbelts_Plus.thumb.jpg.2a64214e822b51853286d431ff0e91e6.jpg

So my plan is to call them in the morning and confirm that boiling water is the way to go. But check to see if they have the seatbelt and sheath combo for that price, and in stock. Then I'll try boiling water and if it works I'll be set. If not, we'll stop by on our trip and pick up the completed units and return the others. The map below is of the Edmund/OKC area and normally we'd be going through on the Kilpatrick turnpike, which is show in green below. But if we get off and go north 1 mile we'll be at their site.

Seatbelt_Planet_Diversion_with_Markup.thumb.jpg.08146903766c0492b058866b4a05b6db.jpg

Well, this isn't going well at all. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I've tried everything I can think of and cannot get the end of the seatbelt, the bit that bolts to the floor, through the sheath. As you can see in the video the plate hits the twist kerthunk. And no amount of hot air, hot water, or lubrication has done anything but deform the sheath a bit.

I've broken the doubled Nylon string multiple times where it wraps around the hole in the plate, so I've padded that with tape. And placing it in the vise lets me pull on the sheath with both hands - wearing gloves. But regardless of how hard I've pulled the plate doesn't get past the point where it hits the twist.

So, here's my plan:
  1. New Belts: On Monday I'll call Seatbelt Planet and see if they'll sell a pair of sheaths with the inboard belts. (I'll also ask if they have a trick on getting the plate through there but don't really have any expectation that they have a better idea than what I've tried.)

Stitching: If they don't sell just the inboard belt at a reasonable price I'm thinking of cutting the stitching so the plate can be removed and then put back on after feeding it through the sheath. But I don't know what that would cost nor how quickly I could get it done.

Anyone have a better idea????

Hi Gary, if you are using the OBS seat pan to mount the captain chairs, you will need the OBS seat belt receivers. That’s what I put in my ‘81 and functionally they are perfect. There is a slit for the center seat belt which I removed, but the slits don’t really show with the console installed. I think David’s first link is the OBS type. Sorry I didn’t catch this thread sooner before you ordered something that didn’t work ☹️

Hi Gary, if you are using the OBS seat pan to mount the captain chairs, you will need the OBS seat belt receivers. That’s what I put in my ‘81 and functionally they are perfect. There is a slit for the center seat belt which I removed, but the slits don’t really show with the console installed. I think David’s first link is the OBS type. Sorry I didn’t catch this thread sooner before you ordered something that didn’t work ☹️

Thanks, Jonathan. But I'm not using the seat pan, I'm using a platform I built out of angle and bench seat legs.

I assume that the reason is that the pan's opening for the seat belts is 6" ahead of the hole in the floor for the belt - right? Oddly enough, when my platform is fully forward using the bench seat adjuster the front edge of the rear angle is also 6" forward of the hole in the floor. And while it looks like the sheaths I have will lay down well enough when the platform slides forward, using the later seat belts would make it easier.

However, the pic below from the advert for the 92 - 97 seatbelts doesn't look like there's really 6" of forward run before they turn up. Am I missing something?

s-l1600.png.89614ca3c8dfbeab6d33d5b16c3021a0.png

I looked at David’s link and ouch… they are proud of those. I think that is a big reach and you could find a decent deal on them. I don’t remember anymore if I bought an additional set. I was on the fence about using the OBS seat pan in my crew cab. They are not super common to find in good shape at the junkyard but they are not super rare either.

Thanks, Jonathan. But I'm not using the seat pan, I'm using a platform I built out of angle and bench seat legs.

I assume that the reason is that the pan's opening for the seat belts is 6" ahead of the hole in the floor for the belt - right? Oddly enough, when my platform is fully forward using the bench seat adjuster the front edge of the rear angle is also 6" forward of the hole in the floor. And while it looks like the sheaths I have will lay down well enough when the platform slides forward, using the later seat belts would make it easier.

However, the pic below from the advert for the 92 - 97 seatbelts doesn't look like there's really 6" of forward run before they turn up. Am I missing something?

Gary I will measure mine when I get home. I do not think that they run forward 6” but rather turn 90* upward immediately so that the sheath stays above the seat pan. I don’t know if this would work with your angle iron set up or not. I did find a set in blue… probably not the correct blue but at least it is in the spectrum:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125513665433?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NKz6R2vBSOa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bIK-KD-_SJK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

B986E5D0-1EB2-4797-9892-CEA891968728.jpeg.1163593fa1995add62705de940cdae92.jpeg