Bullnose Forums

Sway bars

Chad, you hit it quite well, on pickup trucks the frame does not have the longitudinal stiffness of most car frames against twisting, this coupled with heavy duty rear springs will actually cause the cab and bed to visibly move in relation to each other.

Having had what was described as a "brand new clapped out race car for the street" (a 1966 Shelby GT350 that I stiffened up the front and added a rear sway bar to) I actually have pictures of that car at an autocross course I was setting up at the Norfolk Ford Assembly plant parking lot, one going in to a 360° right hand loop where the right rear wheel is off the ground and one coming out of the loop where the right front wheel is off the ground.

I also had a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Diesel, that was supposed to be ordered with the F41 handling package. It did have G78/15 radials instead of the F78s that were standard, but only the small front and no rear sway bar. 30 mins in the parts department and the required parts were ordered. Once installed, I also put 4 Koni shocks on. Car would go around an on or off ramp at double the posted "safe" speed with no problems. Other than the Diesel engine, it was essentially and unmarked police car. Scared more than a few people with it due to it having the GM B body "cop car" stance.

Guys, thanks a lot for these detailed explanations!

:nabble_smiley_happy:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic