Bullnose Forums

Sway bars

Hi guys,

I'm thinking I'm gonna try fitting a factory sway bar on my 84 Bronco. I don't have the parts and it looks like I have some options. I have a D44hp so I have to fab an end link solution anyway, which means I have some flexibility with which of the factory sway bars I use. A couple of questions:

What is the deal with the F-250, F-350 4x4 non-monobeam sway bar mount? That one uses a frame rail to frame rail crossmember to mount the insulators to. Why is it different and what is the benefit of mounting the sway bar this way? If I can get the part should I use that crossmember?

If I don't use the crossmember, do the insulators mount directly to the frame rail or do I need to use plates that get bolted to the frame rails, then attach the insulators to the plates? Is this only a 1980 MY thing?

What year did the frame rails get that impact absorbing crumple feature? Will all F-truck sway bars be interchangeable (at the frame rails) up to that year?

Thank y'all!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following.....my truck handles like the Queen Mary!

I'm with ya. At full speed, it takes a distance roughly half the length of Ohio for the SR-71 Blackbird to change direction by 90 degrees. I'd say my Bronco exhibits similar handling characteristics to that.

I'm with ya. At full speed, it takes a distance roughly half the length of Ohio for the SR-71 Blackbird to change direction by 90 degrees. I'd say my Bronco exhibits similar handling characteristics to that.

This is the crossmember I'm talking about (I think).

I don't know if it will help, but, I put a set from a 1990 F250 2WD on Darth. The sway bars were an option for him.

Front bar:

DSCN0601.thumb.jpg.1be949a3d071be504a7a3de474315a6b.jpg

DSCN0602.thumb.jpg.7de0de12b9c462c142bbb51c81994a67.jpg

It made a noticeable difference in cornering as the front doesn't roll as much as it did without them. End brackets for links were purchased from Green Sales, the rest came off the 1990 F250 parts truck.

Rear bar:

DSCN1239.thumb.jpg.bfa09e4fa7e64d0cfe60ad7602e6d7f9.jpg

DSCN1240.thumb.jpg.cb2fcb20399cb8bf9f32d557abafd15d.jpg

DSCN1241.thumb.jpg.202a5fd48261ba6d64f7f99fc76136ac.jpg

Keep in mind two items, first Darth is an F350 crew cab dual rear wheel truck, second wheelbase is 168 inches. As a result, I do get some frame flexing despite the 7 inch tall sides.

I don't know if it will help, but, I put a set from a 1990 F250 2WD on Darth. The sway bars were an option for him.

Front bar:

It made a noticeable difference in cornering as the front doesn't roll as much as it did without them. End brackets for links were purchased from Green Sales, the rest came off the 1990 F250 parts truck.

Rear bar:

Keep in mind two items, first Darth is an F350 crew cab dual rear wheel truck, second wheelbase is 168 inches. As a result, I do get some frame flexing despite the 7 inch tall sides.

I rebuilt the AR bars on my Bronco. Moog had the links and bushings

Front bar:

Rear bar:

Thanks Bill. I think the bracket that is circled in blue is the one in the ebay pic:

driverside.bmp

bracket.jpg.8fce80d801b32e64fd1d92e6fd72bdff.jpg

Would you mind taking a picture of what the bracket looks like on the passenger side frame rail?

I rebuilt the AR bars on my Bronco. Moog had the links and bushings

GSMBlue, in theory you have the exact same sway bar as Bill, but you have the 4x4 installation on the frame rails. Would you mind shooting pics of the bracketry on the L/R frame rails for comparison to Bill's?

Thanks Bill. I think the bracket that is circled in blue is the one in the ebay pic:

Would you mind taking a picture of what the bracket looks like on the passenger side frame rail?

It is a mirror image, I had pulled the whole thing except for the axle brackets off the 1990 parts truck. I can try sometime, Darth isn't on the road currently as I have coolant showing up in one or more right bank cylinders. At best it will be a bad intake gasket, at worst a cracked head.

It is a mirror image, I had pulled the whole thing except for the axle brackets off the 1990 parts truck. I can try sometime, Darth isn't on the road currently as I have coolant showing up in one or more right bank cylinders. At best it will be a bad intake gasket, at worst a cracked head.

How’s this??

D5207B8E-2EFD-4CA4-A4E3-7C801264ED90.thumb.jpeg.4539e022cf8924112bea4b8ab513d9b4.jpeg

BA4AFAB3-5627-4E96-9C3F-096134FE4988.jpeg.d4be22c0f5201be0c87822a5cce92b4a.jpeg