Bullnose Forums

franken truck

Techguy

question, i know this probably isnt the forum place for htis question but since its related to this, could the transfer case and axles i.e the 4wd parts be transfered to a 1987 ford f150 manual?

it is very possible that you have a good number of parts in "frank" that can be used in other projects if that is the direction you chose. dont make any quick decisions or spend any money just yet. open this up for a bit more opinion and advise. we see this a lot actually.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is very possible that you have a good number of parts in "frank" that can be used in other projects if that is the direction you chose. dont make any quick decisions or spend any money just yet. open this up for a bit more opinion and advise. we see this a lot actually.

i do have alot of parts thats true. has anyone ever used one of those lost title services? the parts truck i have is in mint condition, sure is a shame i cant just not get a title for it.

i do have alot of parts thats true. has anyone ever used one of those lost title services? the parts truck i have is in mint condition, sure is a shame i cant just not get a title for it.

I used a lost title service in Oklahoma, but I'm sure they vary by the state since the laws themselves vary.

Here it is called Title 42 and costs about $200. They are required to post something about the vehicle in a few publications, like newspapers, and allow others to bid on the vehicle. However they post about it in obscure publications so there are few wanting to bid. And, if you've had the vehicle a while they'd have to include the storage cost as well as your "recovery" costs in their bid.

In my case I spent a full day getting the vehicle out of a field and it was a 200 mile round trip to go over and back with the trailer. Plus I'd had it for months and the storage rate is on a per-day basis so it mounted up pretty seriously. In the end, no one else bid and I got it, which I understand is typical.

I used a lost title service in Oklahoma, but I'm sure they vary by the state since the laws themselves vary.

Here it is called Title 42 and costs about $200. They are required to post something about the vehicle in a few publications, like newspapers, and allow others to bid on the vehicle. However they post about it in obscure publications so there are few wanting to bid. And, if you've had the vehicle a while they'd have to include the storage cost as well as your "recovery" costs in their bid.

In my case I spent a full day getting the vehicle out of a field and it was a 200 mile round trip to go over and back with the trailer. Plus I'd had it for months and the storage rate is on a per-day basis so it mounted up pretty seriously. In the end, no one else bid and I got it, which I understand is typical.

Gary, I did much the same on a 1965 Corvair Matt fell in love with at age 15. It was "auctioned" for towing and cost of storage by the gentleman whose GMC wrecker is sitting in my yard. Since there were no other bidders, it became mine.

Gary, I did much the same on a 1965 Corvair Matt fell in love with at age 15. It was "auctioned" for towing and cost of storage by the gentleman whose GMC wrecker is sitting in my yard. Since there were no other bidders, it became mine.

thanks everyone, @bill , small world but i used to own a 1986 chrysler lebaron convertible turbo Mark Cross Edition. ill see if i can dig up any pics.

thanks everyone, @bill , small world but i used to own a 1986 chrysler lebaron convertible turbo Mark Cross Edition. ill see if i can dig up any pics.

My 1985 that a Mercedes ML320 tried mating with was a Mark Cross with the 2.6L Mitsubishi engine, When it developed cracks in 3 of the 4 combustion chambers. I put the junkyard score 2.2L Turbo in it. Engine turned out to be a 1988 Turbo II service engine complete with forged crank.

Needless to say I saved the powertrain from it.

thanks matt

is there any point in me trying to pull the dash and wiring and install a dash and wiring from me 82 parts truck?

is there any point in me trying to pull the dash and wiring and install a dash and wiring from me 82 parts truck?

You don't have a signature so I don't know for sure what the configuration is of the trucks you are talking about, but I'll tell you what little I know.

As has been said, the 1980 wiring is different from 1981 and later wiring. And up through 1985 there were two sets of wiring - with gauges and with idiot lights. But, if you pull the full wiring harness as well as the instrument cluster you can convert a truck with idiot lights to gauges, or vice versa.

And it is really fairly straight forward - you start at the right headlight and disconnect everything and pull that harness back into the cab. Then start at the left headlight, disconnect everything, and pull that harness back into the cab. Then remove the dash, including the wiring harness, and take that over to the other truck.

You'll want to take a lot of pictures showing where the harness runs before pulling the harness out since you'll need to put it back in basically the same place. But it isn't rocket science and can be done without rewiring anything. However, the connectors are by now quite brittle so you'll have to be careful taking things apart.

You don't have a signature so I don't know for sure what the configuration is of the trucks you are talking about, but I'll tell you what little I know.

As has been said, the 1980 wiring is different from 1981 and later wiring. And up through 1985 there were two sets of wiring - with gauges and with idiot lights. But, if you pull the full wiring harness as well as the instrument cluster you can convert a truck with idiot lights to gauges, or vice versa.

And it is really fairly straight forward - you start at the right headlight and disconnect everything and pull that harness back into the cab. Then start at the left headlight, disconnect everything, and pull that harness back into the cab. Then remove the dash, including the wiring harness, and take that over to the other truck.

You'll want to take a lot of pictures showing where the harness runs before pulling the harness out since you'll need to put it back in basically the same place. But it isn't rocket science and can be done without rewiring anything. However, the connectors are by now quite brittle so you'll have to be careful taking things apart.

gotcha, i appreciate it, frank has idiot lights instead of gauges, the parts truck is a 1982 ford f150 2wd, automatic without ac. and surprisingly has gauges. ill try to update and add a signature. happy easter