Bullnose Forums

franken truck

Techguy

hi all, so i bought what i thought was a 1980 ford f150 to restore my first truck. wanted a truck that a basic mechanic could easily fix. well what i got is a franken truck, so far ive found the cab is a 1985, the frame and engine seem to be a 1980. the ac was dealer installed and not factory installed. what my question is, should i keep trying to fix this up or just get a better base to work from? i only have 1 day on the weekend to work on anything and i feel like im not really making any progress.

Fixed:

new pmgr starter

new ebay carter 1 barrel

new mechanical fuel pump (not working correctly, possible cam issue)

Known issues:

timing is off

cab is rusty

wiring is chaos

vacuum lines chaos

passenger door cannot be locked

headlights dont work

needs replacement steering column (have already)

fuel line from tank leaking

had incorrect air cleaner housing (bought used one, havent installed)

the heat and ac blend door system looks jacked

Unknowns:

manual trans

4wd system

brakes

hubs

wiring

bearings

i have a 1982 parts truck thats automatic, but i cant get the title because of govt bs

ive included some pictures of the setup.

PXL_20230326_175409695.thumb.jpg.6605a8639caa83a942bc271a44dff83f.jpg

PXL_20230326_164316605_(2).thumb.jpg.70d5b25ad82a2192382e20fcd9681573.jpg

PXL_20230326_164311756_(2).thumb.jpg.574f83d6750cc0931678eac2ae2c6431.jpg

PXL_20230326_164334347_(2).thumb.jpg.e9cfaebf14ca4d65a7423429a100c8f9.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the pictures, it looks like more of a franken-truck than you realize.

The Dash Panel, the plenum tubes, and the heater box look like factory A/C. Probably came with the 1985 cab.

The compressor on the engine from the picture from the other thread is Dealer A/C. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I wonder how much of the wiring is hybrid. Extreme differences between the 1980/1985. Including headlamp wiring. If you see what I mean.

The 1982 wiring is also different to the 1980. If the wiring is good in that 1982 truck I'd start with swapping that. The 1981-1986 headlamp switch is different to the 1980 as well.

I hate to say to junk the 1980/85? because these trucks are getting hard to find. But it would depend on if you can find another that you can build up.

The Dash Panel, the plenum tubes, and the heater box look like factory A/C. Probably came with the 1985 cab.

The compressor on the engine from the picture from the other thread is Dealer A/C. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I wonder how much of the wiring is hybrid. Extreme differences between the 1980/1985. Including headlamp wiring. If you see what I mean.

The 1982 wiring is also different to the 1980. If the wiring is good in that 1982 truck I'd start with swapping that. The 1981-1986 headlamp switch is different to the 1980 as well.

I hate to say to junk the 1980/85? because these trucks are getting hard to find. But it would depend on if you can find another that you can build up.

yeah thats what worries me more and more. id still love to have a 300. im considering pulling the engine out, maybe rebuild it (good learning experience) and find something else to stick it in. but i dont have the equipment really to take it out. she runs pretty good now, shame really. i think you have told me what i knew but didnt want to hear. all the ones i can find are 2+ hours away from me. and still need work. well lesson learned. ty! maybe i need to go back to the dent side trucks.

if i decided to keep her id need to pull the whole dash and ac out, cab swap would be easier if not for stupid title issues. i havent been able to find any directions on whole dash\wiring hardness removal. anyone have a guide or video on that part? also the 400$ harnesses on ebay, they worht it, otherwise its 1600

if i decided to keep her id need to pull the whole dash and ac out, cab swap would be easier if not for stupid title issues. i havent been able to find any directions on whole dash\wiring hardness removal. anyone have a guide or video on that part? also the 400$ harnesses on ebay, they worht it, otherwise its 1600

whoa. that's a lot of crap. and I have not even really seen the truck. just a couple pics of parts. I like that it is 4wd. is that a must for you? there are certainly better trucks to be found. not sure of your skill level or experience but I hope this was "reasonably priced". the roofing nails in the ac control vac lines is a new one for me. I see new craftsmanship everyday.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

whoa. that's a lot of crap. and I have not even really seen the truck. just a couple pics of parts. I like that it is 4wd. is that a must for you? there are certainly better trucks to be found. not sure of your skill level or experience but I hope this was "reasonably priced". the roofing nails in the ac control vac lines is a new one for me. I see new craftsmanship everyday.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

i got it for 1500 dollars. yeah i agree its a train wreck. i really wanted a ford 300 4wd but i admit its just too much, i keep trying to talk myself into it, but i think its just a pipe dream, theres alot of jerry rigging on this thing as ive found out. sadly havent found a replacement near me. ive always been interested in the 6.9 idi, are they worth the trouble?

That "jumper wire" made of nails is really something. This truck is kind of spooky.

That "jumper wire" made of nails is really something. This truck is kind of spooky.

yeah the first time i found that we thought it was a vacuum line, found out recently thats a electrical connector lol . is it worth pulling the motor out to save for a future project or to learn how to rebuild one?

question, i know this probably isnt the forum place for htis question but since its related to this, could the transfer case and axles i.e the 4wd parts be transfered to a 1987 ford f150 manual?