Bullnose Forums

d5TE head Swap-Tips or Tricks?

well, I always say that the purpose of the build dictates how you build. if this is about getting the truck running and running well then getting a replacement set as close to original is the way. yes, there are a bunch of ideas on improvements, and many are good and worthwhile. however, these trucks were durable and reliable from the factory. what it came with worked. this is why I save everything from upgrades. e7 is a great option and I have bought three sets in as many weeks. frankly I like them, but I also modify them. the only real issue is that you need to get a set from a 5.8 not a 5.0 because the head bolts are 1/2" on the 5.8 where the head bolts are 7/16" on the 5.0. other than that, they are essentially the same. yes, you could have them drilled out as many do, but everything adds cost. I even have a set of e5s on the shelf saved from a 5.8 4bbl ho that I built a few years ago. they would also be a realistic fix for yours options are there if you are not trying to build a monster truck.

Thanks Mat,

I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, just looking for some easy bolt-on upgrades. The smaller chamber ( (69cc to 60cc) and larger valves ( from 1.78/1.45, to 1.84/1.54) I thought would be an upgrade, but if it is a more complicated of a fitment, I may scrap that Idea and simply clean up the heads already on the truck. If I can confirm I can find the parts to make these heads work, fine, but if finding the parts to make this work is like finding a golden-egg... I'm not in the hole a bunch already....yet,

Thanks Mat,

I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, just looking for some easy bolt-on upgrades. The smaller chamber ( (69cc to 60cc) and larger valves ( from 1.78/1.45, to 1.84/1.54) I thought would be an upgrade, but if it is a more complicated of a fitment, I may scrap that Idea and simply clean up the heads already on the truck. If I can confirm I can find the parts to make these heads work, fine, but if finding the parts to make this work is like finding a golden-egg... I'm not in the hole a bunch already....yet,

I like having the better compression and that is one of the mods I do. but I really like the bigger valves. it is simple, you can open a little window a lot or a bigger window less to have the same free air flow. the cam profile and dynamics are not changed yet the bigger valve acquires a larger flow rate sooner, holds it longer and closes effectively slower than the smaller valve without any of the engine's mechanicals knowing anything. no added stresses or vibrations caused by stresses. add a modest camshaft and it can be even better. this is why the gt40 / gt40p swap is so popular although I do not recommend the gt40p for your engine. they can work well but that is a project growing down a new rabbit hole. none will really benefit you with a 2bbl though. but raising the compression a little and having bigger valves will.

I like having the better compression and that is one of the mods I do. but I really like the bigger valves. it is simple, you can open a little window a lot or a bigger window less to have the same free air flow. the cam profile and dynamics are not changed yet the bigger valve acquires a larger flow rate sooner, holds it longer and closes effectively slower than the smaller valve without any of the engine's mechanicals knowing anything. no added stresses or vibrations caused by stresses. add a modest camshaft and it can be even better. this is why the gt40 / gt40p swap is so popular although I do not recommend the gt40p for your engine. they can work well but that is a project growing down a new rabbit hole. none will really benefit you with a 2bbl though. but raising the compression a little and having bigger valves will.

Thanks Mat for the clarification, that's how I kind off saw this Mod going as well, but you've added some clarification to my assumptions of the effects of the heads on the motor. I do have a Holley 550 CFM and a Torker II I got for free from another Ford Friend of mine, who has gone to a Sniper EFI. I plan on adding the heads, Headers, Intake and Carb as a single project. I'll work my ow-budget angle on this one and see how it goes. I hope to get into it in a month or two. I'll do my best and continue to check back as I progress through the project.

Have a good weekend,

Thanks Mat for the clarification, that's how I kind off saw this Mod going as well, but you've added some clarification to my assumptions of the effects of the heads on the motor. I do have a Holley 550 CFM and a Torker II I got for free from another Ford Friend of mine, who has gone to a Sniper EFI. I plan on adding the heads, Headers, Intake and Carb as a single project. I'll work my ow-budget angle on this one and see how it goes. I hope to get into it in a month or two. I'll do my best and continue to check back as I progress through the project.

Have a good weekend,

I had to read the makeup of your truck to see if you said. yes, you have a four speed I see. that is good with a torker / torker 2 intakes. they lack velocity at low rpm and often the performer is much better for automatics. but you should do well .

I had to read the makeup of your truck to see if you said. yes, you have a four speed I see. that is good with a torker / torker 2 intakes. they lack velocity at low rpm and often the performer is much better for automatics. but you should do well .

I'm glad to see that my "Non-Engine-builder" mind had made the same assumption. Any tips on the Cast rocker design of the '74 Gran Torino Heads (60cc chambers)? I near 100% sure that my stock valve train is the stamped configuration, and I'm not thinking that they are simply interchangeable heads, am I incorrect? I also do not have the Rockers so I'll be purchasing rocker arms anyway.

Thanks again for the response Mat

I'm glad to see that my "Non-Engine-builder" mind had made the same assumption. Any tips on the Cast rocker design of the '74 Gran Torino Heads (60cc chambers)? I near 100% sure that my stock valve train is the stamped configuration, and I'm not thinking that they are simply interchangeable heads, am I incorrect? I also do not have the Rockers so I'll be purchasing rocker arms anyway.

Thanks again for the response Mat

comp cams make a set of rockers with roller tips that you should be able to get as a bolt on for your heads. I have not researched a part number but check with summit and you should be able to find them. as for being a bolt on, they should be fine as long as they use the same size head bolts. look over end bolt fittings for attachments and air injection ports before deciding. And decide all things before ordering expensive parts. weigh the difference between having these heads machined. vs buying another set of heads with factory rockers and having them machined.