Bullnose Forums

Re-building my 1986 302/347 Bronco

ReneH

Rene', first item, if those are the correct heat range plugs, you are very lean. That will give you backfiring in the intake under load. Second, noise sounds like a possible header gasket leak, look for carbon tracks around the ports.

Sounds pretty good though!

Bill

Hey Bill,

I forgot to ask: Do you think a possible reason for the maybe lean run can be caused by a O2 sensor with too much carbon on it caused by the very rich run as having the vaccum leak in the MAP line before?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bill,

I forgot to ask: Do you think a possible reason for the maybe lean run can be caused by a O2 sensor with too much carbon on it caused by the very rich run as having the vaccum leak in the MAP line before?

It could, but if it wasn't working correctly you should be getting a check engine light if you put one in. the 1989 computer will activate it if installed.

It could, but if it wasn't working correctly you should be getting a check engine light if you put one in. the 1989 computer will activate it if installed.

Ok. I don't have one...I have a place for the "SHIFT" light that is not installed....buy this is another thing.

I have done a KOEO test without errors.

This evening I will check the exhaust mainfolds.

I my opinion the sound comes from the driver's side. And is not continuous...it seems that it stops sometimes.

If this is not only imagination, it can't be something with the valves, cam, lifters, etc...cause as far as I knows the sound has to be continuous in such a case...so that's what I hope for...

Ok. I don't have one...I have a place for the "SHIFT" light that is not installed....buy this is another thing.

I have done a KOEO test without errors.

This evening I will check the exhaust mainfolds.

I my opinion the sound comes from the driver's side. And is not continuous...it seems that it stops sometimes.

If this is not only imagination, it can't be something with the valves, cam, lifters, etc...cause as far as I knows the sound has to be continuous in such a case...so that's what I hope for...

I have checked the exhaust mainfold screws...all are only hand tight...I've tighten them with 30 ft lbs, but nothing changed regarding the rattling...:nabble_smiley_sad:

Tomorrow a friend of mine is coming to check. He has much experience in engines.

I still hope that it's nothing with the valves or something different inside the engine...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Hi Bill,

exhaust mainfolds seems not to leak.

The noise is in relation with the rpm.

I've done another video, cause I still can't locate it...

I have drained the oil and will check it now.

Let's say it's a sticky lifter. Would it make sense to try a additive first or should I disassemble everything and try to find it?

Another question: maybe my oil pressure gauge is wrong...can it caused from too less oil pressure?

I use 10W40 oil. Maybe it's too fluid?

Hi Bill,

exhaust mainfolds seems not to leak.

The noise is in relation with the rpm.

I've done another video, cause I still can't locate it...

I have drained the oil and will check it now.

Let's say it's a sticky lifter. Would it make sense to try a additive first or should I disassemble everything and try to find it?

Another question: maybe my oil pressure gauge is wrong...can it caused from too less oil pressure?

I use 10W40 oil. Maybe it's too fluid?

I'm not Bill and I'm hesitant to jump in, but I will 'cause I'm sure you are wondering what to do on this Sunday afternoon in Germany.

On the tapping noise, it appears to go away after 6 seconds of the video. Is that right? If so then I think it is a lifter taking its own sweet time to pump up. If so I'd drive the truck before doing anything else. Put some miles/kilometers on it and let things wear in. And after that if you still have a tapping noise for the first few seconds after startup then think about an additive.

As for the oil, I think 10W40 is probably about right. And I doubt it is the cause of the noise.

I'm not Bill and I'm hesitant to jump in, but I will 'cause I'm sure you are wondering what to do on this Sunday afternoon in Germany.

On the tapping noise, it appears to go away after 6 seconds of the video. Is that right? If so then I think it is a lifter taking its own sweet time to pump up. If so I'd drive the truck before doing anything else. Put some miles/kilometers on it and let things wear in. And after that if you still have a tapping noise for the first few seconds after startup then think about an additive.

As for the oil, I think 10W40 is probably about right. And I doubt it is the cause of the noise.

Hi Gary,

thanks for the answer. It appears first while driving. Now it comes and goes while idling. If I hold it at some rpm, the noise is there continues and won't stop. Only when back in idle rpm.

Does this additives really work?

Maybe one of the lifters that I've bought were bad from the beginning...:nabble_smiley_what:

Hi Gary,

thanks for the answer. It appears first while driving. Now it comes and goes while idling. If I hold it at some rpm, the noise is there continues and won't stop. Only when back in idle rpm.

Maybe one of the lifters that I've bought were bad from the beginning...:nabble_smiley_what:

Yes, you may have a bad lifter.

And I do believe some additives work. My brother once bought a 1970 Plymouth Satellite with a 318. The car had been sitting for several months and it had a lifter tick. Dad said to put a bottle of Rislone in it and that quietened it. After driving it for many miles my brother changed oil and didn't put the Rislone in and the tick came back. And over the several years he drove it he tried doing without the additive several more times and each time the tick came back.

We never knew what the problem was, but always suspected that some bit of sludge got into that lifter. But why Rislone quieted it we don't really know.

Hi Gary,

Rene' there have been a lot of issues lately with cams and lifters. It seems to stem mostly from them being made overseas (China) and the metallurgy seems to be extremely poor quality.

Yes, you may have a bad lifter.

And I do believe some additives work. My brother once bought a 1970 Plymouth Satellite with a 318. The car had been sitting for several months and it had a lifter tick. Dad said to put a bottle of Rislone in it and that quietened it. After driving it for many miles my brother changed oil and didn't put the Rislone in and the tick came back. And over the several years he drove it he tried doing without the additive several more times and each time the tick came back.

We never knew what the problem was, but always suspected that some bit of sludge got into that lifter. But why Rislone quieted it we don't really know.

Hmm...ok. this sounds like the problem haven't been solved at all.

I thought there were additives that were able to "clean" the oil drills in the lifters, if there is something of the abrasives of the cam break-in inside...

If this is so, it will maybe better to open the valve covers and also the intake mainfold and check everything...

Also if I'm very sure that I have all rocker-arm nuts tighten with torque as specified, I'm also thinking about this as reason...somewhere a not correct tighten or loosen nut or screw...

I have put a long screwdriver on the valve covers, oil-pan, block, etc...no way to surely locate the source of the noise...