Bullnose Forums

Re-building my 1986 302/347 Bronco

ReneH

Rene' there have been a lot of issues lately with cams and lifters. It seems to stem mostly from them being made overseas (China) and the metallurgy seems to be extremely poor quality.

Hi Bill,

I have had bought these:

Rockauto.com

So, you think I should open the engine and check is the best way?

As another holiday is coming in summer, I want to finish everything as fast as possible, so I can drive some miles here to check if everything works...:nabble_smiley_beam:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bill,

I have had bought these:

Rockauto.com

So, you think I should open the engine and check is the best way?

As another holiday is coming in summer, I want to finish everything as fast as possible, so I can drive some miles here to check if everything works...:nabble_smiley_beam:

Sealed Power was a good brand, I have used a lot of their parts. Problem seems to be across all brands, even new OEM parts. Look at this, I don't know if you can get the subtitles to translate for you:

As for checking, if you don't mind oil everywhere, the driver's side is easy the get the valve cover off and run the engine so you can use something to listen to the individual rocker arms. Passenger side, I don't think it will come off without removing the upper intake.

Sealed Power was a good brand, I have used a lot of their parts. Problem seems to be across all brands, even new OEM parts. Look at this, I don't know if you can get the subtitles to translate for you:

As for checking, if you don't mind oil everywhere, the driver's side is easy the get the valve cover off and run the engine so you can use something to listen to the individual rocker arms. Passenger side, I don't think it will come off without removing the upper intake.

It's really sad how bad the parts situation has become.

Ok...I will watching the video. I will understand the most things. :nabble_smiley_wink:

About the removal: I don't know if it makes sense to run the engine without the valve covers. It seems that the noise appears only for sure at higher rpm...

So as I have to remove everything down to the intake mainfold to change the lifter, my plan was to do the removal first and check if I can identify the defective one by rotating the engine with a ratchet.

If I don't find it, I'll change all lifters.

As you said, let the engine run without the covers will be a mess of oil inside the bay and all over my currently so clean and dry block.

I will buy 16 new lifter and also 4 new push rods together with a new gasket for the mainfold. So I should have everything to be sure that I can re-mount all parts.

Should I buy the lifters from sealed power again or better from melling?

By the way...who has designed this plenum?

It's the hell when servicing...:nabble_smiley_argh:

I also have checked the tops of the pistons and the cylinder walls with a camera through the plug holes. Everything is fine in there...

Hi Bill,

why have you send me this video? It's scary to see what's happened there...:nabble_smiley_cry:

I have had similar experiences with parts from crown using in my CJ7...the most have a very bad quality.

Also new leaf springs gets rusty after some weeks.

The thread of one of the bolts of a spring shackle was torn out on the first turns of turnung the according nut on it. So I try to make a detour around this brand, when possible...

So I hope my cam is not worn this way...

But it makes me more sure to unmount every lifter to check it and also to check the cam itself...

Hi Bill,

why have you send me this video? It's scary to see what's happened there...:nabble_smiley_cry:

I have had similar experiences with parts from crown using in my CJ7...the most have a very bad quality.

Also new leaf springs gets rusty after some weeks.

The thread of one of the bolts of a spring shackle was torn out on the first turns of turnung the according nut on it. So I try to make a detour around this brand, when possible...

So I hope my cam is not worn this way...

But it makes me more sure to unmount every lifter to check it and also to check the cam itself...

I sent it primarily so you could see it is probably nothing you did wrong if there is a lifter problem.

I sent it primarily so you could see it is probably nothing you did wrong if there is a lifter problem.

Hi Bill, so you see how differently the understanding is, sometimes. I thought you would warn me what could be happened...:nabble_smiley_happy:

So what do you think about my strategy and the spare parts I've chosen?

Hi Bill, so you see how differently the understanding is, sometimes. I thought you would warn me what could be happened...:nabble_smiley_happy:

So what do you think about my strategy and the spare parts I've chosen?

It is only recently I have been seeing these problems.

It is only recently I have been seeing these problems.

Hi Bill,

Ok. So let's hope it's only one lifter it's defective and the cam is still ok.

So back to my spare parts...what do you think about the brands I have chosen?

Melling or sealed power again?

And what do you think about my strategy?

Is it useful or may there a better way?