Bullnose Forums

Granddaughter's School Project

I got a text message the other day from my 11 year-old granddaughter and the conversation went like this:

• Granddaughter: Sending a request for a broken thing for a school project.

• Pop Pop: You want me to send you something broken? Or something you can break?

• Granddaughter: Either or. My class is going to take things apart for a sculpture.

• Pop Pop: Do you have an idea of what would work?

• Granddaughter: Anything from broken toys to broken phones.

So, I started thinking. My toys may be different from most people's toys. But what if it was something quite different? Like, a carburetor? :nabble_smiley_beam:

As it turns out, I had two 2150's on the bench, given to me by the lady at church that gave me the books and other things last fall. But they were DIRTY! I didn't take a pic of the one I went with, but its mate looks like this, and I couldn't send that to my granddaughter:

Dirty_2150.thumb.jpg.bcd9e9bba323c192d4e4a494de80e8a0.jpg

So I pulled it apart, washed it with brake cleaner, and then ran the pieces through the media blaster. And, I'll confess, some parts went through the tumbler/polisher and a few others were worked over with the Dremel sporting flap wheels, Nylon brushes, and felt polishing wheels. I think it came out pretty well.

I'm going to include a letter to my granddaughter telling her what it is and giving her a link to a website that has lots of info about the 2150's, inc theory, shop manual instructions, parts lists, pictures, and illustrations. So if she wants to learn everything will be handy. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Clean_2150_Front.thumb.jpg.d0bb6610038bf11619bf0313885e2196.jpgClean_2150_Back.thumb.jpg.5bb638f7afbdcf1ce1c17e1f32f1c161.jpg

My toys may be different from most people's toys.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

As it turns out, I had two 2150's on the bench [...] I'm going to include a letter to my granddaughter telling her what it is and giving her a link to a website that has lots of info about the 2150's, inc theory, shop manual instructions, parts lists, pictures, and illustrations. So if she wants to learn everything will be handy.

I love the idea!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, that's really quite cool!

Do the kids in the USA know what a carburetor is? Here in Germany the most people younger than 40 don't know what it is...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Thanks, guys. But I doubt that she knows what a carburetor is, which is one of the reasons I'm going with EFI on my trucks as I want to hand them down and no one in the family can work on a carb.

So perhaps I need to include a link to background info on carbs, like this one at Wikipedia. Or this one at New World Encyclopedia. Or possibly this one at autoevolution. What's interesting is that each of those gives credit for the invention of a carburetor to a different person: Wikipedia says it was German engineer Siegfried Marcus; NWE says it was Karl Benz; and autoevolution says it was "an Italian called Luigi de Cristoforis". :nabble_anim_confused:

But I think it'll be a cool project and she might want to know more. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Thanks, guys. But I doubt that she knows what a carburetor is, which is one of the reasons I'm going with EFI on my trucks as I want to hand them down and no one in the family can work on a carb.

So perhaps I need to include a link to background info on carbs, like this one at Wikipedia. Or this one at New World Encyclopedia. Or possibly this one at autoevolution. What's interesting is that each of those gives credit for the invention of a carburetor to a different person: Wikipedia says it was German engineer Siegfried Marcus; NWE says it was Karl Benz; and autoevolution says it was "an Italian called Luigi de Cristoforis". :nabble_anim_confused:

But I think it'll be a cool project and she might want to know more. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I still have the truck i bought before having kids now i have three grandchildren and my daughter would be the natural one to get the truck that she remembers fondly but I do worry about who would keep it going for her if it was to be hers. dinosaurs to work on these dinosaurs are thinning out.

I still have the truck i bought before having kids now i have three grandchildren and my daughter would be the natural one to get the truck that she remembers fondly but I do worry about who would keep it going for her if it was to be hers. dinosaurs to work on these dinosaurs are thinning out.

Problem is this "thing" your sending may confuse the teachers about "what is that?":nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: