Bullnose Forums

NEW MEMBER In SoCal - 1984 Ford F150 XLT

I live in LA county and am not sure if a dynamometer is required for a smog inspection. As for the emissions sticker, unfortunately, since I am not there, these are the best pics I can get. I'm not having any luck finding a more legible sticker online.

Welcome to the forum! I live in Ventura County. You will need to pass a dyno test for sure. The CA smog laws are a bit Byzantine, but I think not all trucks had all the same smog controls. If it was a 49 state truck, it will have a subset of the full package (my truck was built for CA, so it has every device and vacuum device imaginable). The reason I mention this is the the truck needs to "only" have whatever smog controls it was originally equipped with. You don't need all CA smog devices on the same year truck if it wasn't originally built that way (that's what I recall, at least)

Is there a metal tag attached to the carb? That will give the calibration code, and we can figure out some of what you need from there as well. The tag on my carb is E4TE-AHA for example.

Welcome to the forum! I live in Ventura County. You will need to pass a dyno test for sure. The CA smog laws are a bit Byzantine, but I think not all trucks had all the same smog controls. If it was a 49 state truck, it will have a subset of the full package (my truck was built for CA, so it has every device and vacuum device imaginable). The reason I mention this is the the truck needs to "only" have whatever smog controls it was originally equipped with. You don't need all CA smog devices on the same year truck if it wasn't originally built that way (that's what I recall, at least)

Is there a metal tag attached to the carb? That will give the calibration code, and we can figure out some of what you need from there as well. The tag on my carb is E4TE-AHA for example.

I see an EGR valve on the sticker, so it needs one in working order.

If it's a single tank truck, you will also have to pass a Evaporative pressure test at the tank inlet. Dual tanks are exempt, although they do test gas caps for both single and dual tanks. I still have trouble with gas caps for these failing.

Using the carb number as suggested, is a way of getting the calibration code. Another is the tag on the distributor. It may not get you the exact calibration code, but it should narrow things down to one or two codes hopefully.

Unfortunately, I cant check the carb myself for the calibration tag, But I was able to find a clear picture of the emissions sticker. I see E4AE-9C485 code but I'm not having any luck finding this online

Screenshot_2023-04-10_120841.png.e9d448baa948d96e4616f657c6b0eaf7.png

Unfortunately, I cant check the carb myself for the calibration tag, But I was able to find a clear picture of the emissions sticker. I see E4AE-9C485 code but I'm not having any luck finding this online

1.png.f6c54d10b142a7fce7e99f9f29e30db1.png

Based on it being a 351 HO, I think these are the parts included in your calibration (you should still look for the tag when you get the truck, sorry I forgot it was still in VA)

1.png.f6c54d10b142a7fce7e99f9f29e30db1.png

2.thumb.png.e4f3417345c01b67698c4934ab10dd8a.png