Bullnose Forums

Still the same problem with EFI

Bill - That's quite an experience! I can only imagine what Holman and Moody did to it. My brother had a boat with a 351W in it and H&M logos all over it. That was the strongest boat we were ever around. He loved to bet a skier that he could take the rope away from them, and he never lost a bet.

So if a 5.8L was that strong, a 7.0L made for a roadster must have been something!

Gary, those engines were derived from the NASCAR and LeMans engines. The cast aluminum valve covers read "Cobra LeMans". 427 (actually 425) ci, high riser with dual 660 cfm Holleys or a single 850 cfm Holley. Since the power train (engine and Toploader) were for a Galaxy, the shifter sat so far back that Shelby put the stick angled forward, hence the essentially up and down shifter action.

Basically automotive overkill. If you watched Gumball Rally, the only two cars that were used in filming that didn't require "tweaking" or flat out hopping up from stock were the Cobra and Ferrari, both were stock. They actually blew the engine in the Cobra during the LA river sequence, hit a really slick section, over revved it and dropped a valve, Holman and Moody managed to come up with the needed parts to rebuild it. Cars weighed just a little over 2900 lbs and the engine was originally built to push a Galaxy 200 mph at Talladega.

Gary, those engines were derived from the NASCAR and LeMans engines. The cast aluminum valve covers read "Cobra LeMans". 427 (actually 425) ci, high riser with dual 660 cfm Holleys or a single 850 cfm Holley. Since the power train (engine and Toploader) were for a Galaxy, the shifter sat so far back that Shelby put the stick angled forward, hence the essentially up and down shifter action.

Basically automotive overkill. If you watched Gumball Rally, the only two cars that were used in filming that didn't require "tweaking" or flat out hopping up from stock were the Cobra and Ferrari, both were stock. They actually blew the engine in the Cobra during the LA river sequence, hit a really slick section, over revved it and dropped a valve, Holman and Moody managed to come up with the needed parts to rebuild it. Cars weighed just a little over 2900 lbs and the engine was originally built to push a Galaxy 200 mph at Talladega.

Yeah, very interesting stories! So you can get out very much more than stock of each engine. Sure, there are some that gives much better basics than others, but with enough modifications or a complete rebuild by some brilliant technician, it's awsome, what's possible...that's why I love drag racing. If you get in the details what they have to do before every start, you'll see it's like riding a cannon-ball...full of nitro methane...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

And what I like most, It's mostly not about the newest electronics like in formula one...the basic are old, reliable engine designs covered with knowlegde, experience and the right "feeling" how to setup.

Just to check, you do know these fire all injectors at the same time for every pulse right?

I am saying this because cylinder 1 will have the injector fire four times with three firings being when the valve is closed.

I had to explain this to a guy at work with a '86 F150 I was finding which injectors were stuck from old gas, they couldnt believe every injector was firing every stroke for each cylinder.

OK...also the MFI-ECUs like mine 1989? Or do you mean only while cranking?

Because this is what I've read in the book from which I have posted the screenshots...

Yeah, very interesting stories! So you can get out very much more than stock of each engine. Sure, there are some that gives much better basics than others, but with enough modifications or a complete rebuild by some brilliant technician, it's awsome, what's possible...that's why I love drag racing. If you get in the details what they have to do before every start, you'll see it's like riding a cannon-ball...full of nitro methane...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

And what I like most, It's mostly not about the newest electronics like in formula one...the basic are old, reliable engine designs covered with knowlegde, experience and the right "feeling" how to setup.

Rene' you would have really liked the dragster we (Preston Carburetion) ran back in the mid 70s. It had a Chevrolet 292 ci truck 6 cyl with a highly modified head, running 3 45DCOE Weber carburetors.

We were at a drag strip in Budd's Creek Maryland for a meet. Driver made his first trial pass, I watched his launch, observing the exhaust color from the headers, listened to the sound and felt the engine sounded "flat" as it wound up in high gear. I had told the driver to do a "clean cut" at the end of the run. Pushed him back to the pits and pulled a couple of plugs, wiped my finger in the end of the collectors to see how much soot we had. I then removed a jet cover and took a main emulsion tube and jets out, looked at the air jet size and told Fred Pennington (business partner) to give me one size smaller air jets. Installed them in all three carburetors and the car went quite a bit faster, elapsed time wasn't much lower but trap speed was much faster.

Someone pitted next to us came over and asked how I tuned the Webers without all the stuff most people carried when running them. I told him it was a matter of understanding what effect each of the components in the mixture control did.

Rene' you would have really liked the dragster we (Preston Carburetion) ran back in the mid 70s. It had a Chevrolet 292 ci truck 6 cyl with a highly modified head, running 3 45DCOE Weber carburetors.

We were at a drag strip in Budd's Creek Maryland for a meet. Driver made his first trial pass, I watched his launch, observing the exhaust color from the headers, listened to the sound and felt the engine sounded "flat" as it wound up in high gear. I had told the driver to do a "clean cut" at the end of the run. Pushed him back to the pits and pulled a couple of plugs, wiped my finger in the end of the collectors to see how much soot we had. I then removed a jet cover and took a main emulsion tube and jets out, looked at the air jet size and told Fred Pennington (business partner) to give me one size smaller air jets. Installed them in all three carburetors and the car went quite a bit faster, elapsed time wasn't much lower but trap speed was much faster.

Someone pitted next to us came over and asked how I tuned the Webers without all the stuff most people carried when running them. I told him it was a matter of understanding what effect each of the components in the mixture control did.

Hey Bill, that's exactly what I mean! Experience and the feeling are the basics. That's nothing you can do with modern cars. There's no heart inside you can feel!

If you have pictures of your build...I'm interested to see...:nabble_smiley_happy:

I hope today (here it is 08:15 pm) I'm fit enough to wire the last things, install the HEGO and try to start the engine...before I will check the plugs if they are still wet and clean them before, cause the last starts have flooded the engine...

It's also possible that it gets a bit rough, cause as replacing the original distributor I have only done this with a mark to find the approximate position...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

I will keep you updated...

So my today's work was to install the HEGO...now why does it has two black wires? About one ohms between both...

20230308_213407.jpg.11052afeede9731736ddf6104faca12a.jpg

I have marked one of the black with a tape...only to be sure...what does the colors of the cable mean?

Here you see my old EGO...that's carbon deposits of the rich run...:nabble_smiley_argh:

20230308_212807.jpg.9ea8fb15c0ae35e4b08d84a6d451bceb.jpg

Here is my cable distribution for injectors, fuel pump circuit and HEGO:

20230308_222504.jpg.41a9cc7bc8df6a22ad2f8ab1096cf02f.jpg

20230308_222455.jpg.00c3924ed7a7ac0c523f95c1230c66b3.jpg

Tomorrow or Friday evening, I hope I'll be fit enough to connect the rest and start the engine...

Because this is what I've read in the book from which I have posted the screenshots...

1985 to I believe 1996 when they switched over to sequential fuel injection. I know up to 1990 the EFI was batch fire. They do it during cranking as well as during normal running.

If you attach a noid light you would see flashing happening quite a bit faster on these era EFIs than on later sequeltial EFI systems.

So my today's work was to install the HEGO...now why does it has two black wires? About one ohms between both...

I have marked one of the black with a tape...only to be sure...what does the colors of the cable mean?

Here you see my old EGO...that's carbon deposits of the rich run...:nabble_smiley_argh:

Here is my cable distribution for injectors, fuel pump circuit and HEGO:

Tomorrow or Friday evening, I hope I'll be fit enough to connect the rest and start the engine...

Rene', black wires are the heater, no polarity involved. Blue is O2 signal (goes to pin #29 of the computer). White is signal ground (goes to pin #49 of the computer).

1985 to I believe 1996 when they switched over to sequential fuel injection. I know up to 1990 the EFI was batch fire. They do it during cranking as well as during normal running.

If you attach a noid light you would see flashing happening quite a bit faster on these era EFIs than on later sequeltial EFI systems.

Rusty, the 302 trucks went MAF/SEFI in 1994, 351 in 1995 and 460 CA spec in 1996, 300 went SEFI in 1995 CA spec. Other than 49 state 460 trucks (and not all of them) everything was pretty much MAF/SEFI by 1996. MT and C6 equipt trucks stayed Bank Fired much later than the 4R7x and E4OD models.

Rene', black wires are the heater, no polarity involved. Blue is O2 signal (goes to pin #29 of the computer). White is signal ground (goes to pin #49 of the computer).

Hi Bill, Ok that means one of the black going to ignition key, the other one to GND.

O2-signal to #29 and the white cable also to GND.

As I don't have a canister purge solenoid, but routed out this pin from the ECU, I thought about to switch a relay with it, that deactivates the heater, cause as I have read in the book, the CANP pin will be switched, when the engine is warm...so if the heater plus will be connected to a relay NC pin, it will be switched off, when engine is warm and CANP pin will ground the coil of the relay...what do you think?