Bullnose Forums

1981 F100 resto-mod [not my cup of tea, but very nice craftsmanship!]

Not my cup of tea either, but I have come across the build thread for this truck in my searches for black out trim. That is the one part of it that I do like, but the rest not so much. I’m guessing he may find it hard to sell.

The more customization the fewer people will like it. And that one is seriously customized, so the interested audience will be quite small.

Glad he's selling it - he needs to go back to the dark side. IT ISN"T A STEP SIDE!

Haha...Gary, I think I'd have to argue this point, at least a little bit;).

I'd say that the truck, at least the "style" of the truck is that it IS a "Step Side", but it is not a "Stepside".

I'd never heard of these trucks being called Flaresides until I joined FTE and your forum, and even today, all these years later, it seems the vast majority of folks still call them Step Side trucks. I know that Stepside is a GM term, but still...it seems to have become the defacto standard term to describe these trucks.

After all, regardless of the brand, they all do have a step on the side.

PS: I only just recently came across the Dodge term by accident while looking at other stuff, and it looks like they called them "Utililine" beds.

Glad he's selling it - he needs to go back to the dark side. IT ISN"T A STEP SIDE!

Haha...Gary, I think I'd have to argue this point, at least a little bit;).

I'd say that the truck, at least the "style" of the truck is that it IS a "Step Side", but it is not a "Stepside".

I'd never heard of these trucks being called Flaresides until I joined FTE and your forum, and even today, all these years later, it seems the vast majority of folks still call them Step Side trucks. I know that Stepside is a GM term, but still...it seems to have become the defacto standard term to describe these trucks.

After all, regardless of the brand, they all do have a step on the side.

PS: I only just recently came across the Dodge term by accident while looking at other stuff, and it looks like they called them "Utililine" beds.

It bugs me when people use the wrong terminology. Not that I'm perfect. In fact, I'm far from it. But I like to learn and when I read that Ford's pickups with a step on the side are called Flaresides then I add that to my vocabulary and try to adjust my speach/typing.

Reminds me of the discussion most of us probably had with our mother. She said "If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you?" Obviously not. So, just because other people are sloppy and call a Ford by a Chevy name doesn't mean that I should.

I'll be quiet and not say anything more. (But, I'll be thinking it! :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Reminds me of the discussion most of us probably had with our mother. She said "If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you?" Obviously not. So, just because other people are sloppy and call a Ford by a Chevy name doesn't mean that I should.

Well, in the defense of the people that DO call them Step Sides, I wouldn't necessarily call it sloppy, I'd just say they are like I always was, and simply did not know the correct manufacturer's term. In my case, I was only calling them what the general population was because I didn't know any better. Now that I know that they're actually called a "Flareside", I do my best to go by the correct term, at least when I'm among the purists...lol.

When people talk to me about my truck, I'd say 1 in 5 call it a Flareside, and that's usually because they're Ford guys that have had some exposure to these trucks in the past. A general "car guy", that isn't specifically a Ford guy will almost always call them a Step Side.

Even the aftermarket magazines all call the model a Stepside...lol. (LMC, NPD, etc). I have a Mar-K catalog here, and they sometimes mention the term Flareside but will put in brackets next to it (Flareside same thing as Stepside)...lol.

I guess my point is, a lot of people are wrong, but at the same time it's hard to blame them;).

There, I'll leave you alone now...lol.

Well, in the defense of the people that DO call them Step Sides, I wouldn't necessarily call it sloppy, I'd just say they are like I always was, and simply did not know the correct manufacturer's term. In my case, I was only calling them what the general population was because I didn't know any better. Now that I know that they're actually called a "Flareside", I do my best to go by the correct term, at least when I'm among the purists...lol.

When people talk to me about my truck, I'd say 1 in 5 call it a Flareside, and that's usually because they're Ford guys that have had some exposure to these trucks in the past. A general "car guy", that isn't specifically a Ford guy will almost always call them a Step Side.

Even the aftermarket magazines all call the model a Stepside...lol. (LMC, NPD, etc). I have a Mar-K catalog here, and they sometimes mention the term Flareside but will put in brackets next to it (Flareside same thing as Stepside)...lol.

I guess my point is, a lot of people are wrong, but at the same time it's hard to blame them;).

There, I'll leave you alone now...lol.

OK, I guess that makes me a purist. :nabble_smiley_cry:

(But I'm well aware of that. I seriously dislike being wrong, so go out of my way to pick up on the correct way of saying things, the right use of words, the correct spelling, etc. I think it stems from a fear of being "different", and somehow that makes me different. :nabble_anim_confused:)

OK, I guess that makes me a purist. :nabble_smiley_cry:

(But I'm well aware of that. I seriously dislike being wrong, so go out of my way to pick up on the correct way of saying things, the right use of words, the correct spelling, etc. I think it stems from a fear of being "different", and somehow that makes me different. :nabble_anim_confused:)

The vendors will use stepside because of ignorance, and if not ignorant, it's a great "tag word" for searches