Bullnose Forums

Center Dash Speaker? Yes or No?

Powerman5K

This came up in another thread yesterday as I'm installing a radio and speakers into my 80 F100. I thought I'd start a new thread to get other opinions. I am installing 6.5 " speakers in the doors and currently plan to put a 6x9 in the center dash.

Is that wise?

Does it make a difference?

Should I just leave it out?

I would pass on the dash speaker. Put nice speakers in the doors.

so far, every truck I have done has not gotten the dash speaker. it is not needed or even helpful if you are doing more speakers. i generally do custom sound anyway and far exceed the dash speaker. however, I do have a couple now with nothing at all and am considering putting an original am/fm in one with a dash speaker just so I can get the Ramsey show:nabble_smiley_music:

Been there, tried that, didn't work so well. Ended up frying my radio trying to run a 3-speaker setup. A pair of Sony's in the doors is all I have and it does decent enough. Not as good as my ranger with factory amp and 4 speakers, but I'm too stingy on behind-the-seat space to put a speaker box there, so it is what it is.

Back to the dash hole: it's too small for a good subwoofer, so it's kinda pointless. Maybe if you wanted to run a external speaker on a CB/GMRS/Ham radio? But again, kinda pointless.

I wouldnt.

I have just the door speakers for my radio. I did install a NOS Ford speaker how ever in the dash which I made up a headphone jack pigtail for where my CB radio is actually powering the OE mono speaker in the dash. Makes it so much easier to hear the CB when driving down the road as the speaker is facing up bouncing off the windshield vs facing down towards the floor.

Ended up frying my radio trying to run a 3-speaker setup.

I suppose it depends on your radio model?

I have the original radio in Big Bro (which I updated for modern features such as hands free with Aurora Design kit), so it is made for 3-speakers arrangement.

For me, the dash one is required.

Truck is noisy, the passenger speaker is far from the diver, the center dash one does the job for my taste.

I changed the 3 speakers for new ones, happy about the result. I don't drive a dancing room...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Be aware that the dash speaker is not so easy to find, due to its dimensions.

About wires, most modern radios are built for 4 speakers scheme. Why not wire the center one as the "front", and doors as the "rear" ones? This way you could have full control over the balance output and loudness over each of the 3 speakers.

Ended up frying my radio trying to run a 3-speaker setup.

I suppose it depends on your radio model?

I have the original radio in Big Bro (which I updated for modern features such as hands free with Aurora Design kit), so it is made for 3-speakers arrangement.

For me, the dash one is required.

Truck is noisy, the passenger speaker is far from the diver, the center dash one does the job for my taste.

I changed the 3 speakers for new ones, happy about the result. I don't drive a dancing room...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Be aware that the dash speaker is not so easy to find, due to its dimensions.

About wires, most modern radios are built for 4 speakers scheme. Why not wire the center one as the "front", and doors as the "rear" ones? This way you could have full control over the balance output and loudness over each of the 3 speakers.

Back in the dark ages we created "center channels" by taking the negative wire from one side and the positive wire from the other to a speaker. That way anything that was in both channels played from the center channel but things that were in only one channel didn't play.

So if it was me I'd put a center speaker in and play with it. Can't hurt. In fact, in my shop I have a center channel hooked up that way and it works very well.

Back in the dark ages we created "center channels" by taking the negative wire from one side and the positive wire from the other to a speaker. That way anything that was in both channels played from the center channel but things that were in only one channel didn't play.

So if it was me I'd put a center speaker in and play with it. Can't hurt. In fact, in my shop I have a center channel hooked up that way and it works very well.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've decided just to add the 2 door speakers. I am installing a double din radio (not a tough screen) with it. It should be a good mix between 80's look with modern features. I have 3D printers in my classroom and will custom make a trim piece to make it all look factory.

I also have designed/3D printed a custom cell phone holder that mounts using the random tray on the right side of the driver (in the dash). I'll try to post photos of that this weekend along with the STL file should anyone want to print their own.

Do you use one-way diodes so the left and right speakers are isolated from the center, or does it matter in your experience?

Great Idea by the way. :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you use one-way diodes so the left and right speakers are isolated from the center, or does it matter in your experience?

Great Idea by the way. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't use diodes and it doesn't seem to matter to the left and right channels. I'm listening to Jay And The Americans at the moment and I have full stereo. But then when the DJ came on he was in the center channel. Then Day Tripper came on and the instruments are spread across the speakers and the vocals are mainly in the center.

Here's a shot of the setup in the shop (the neighbors are away at the moment) and I've circled the Bose left and right speakers and drew an arrow to the center channel speaker. (And if you look closely this thread is on the left monitor and the MPC is open to ash trays on the right one. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

A center channel set up that way works nicely. But there is another way to do it and that is with a dual voice-coil speaker. You wire left to one coil and right to the other. Higher tech, but the simple way can be quite effective.

Center_Channel_Speaker.thumb.jpg.b42f552d8cec50d8f719c5558a0ad14d.jpg