Bullnose Forums

351 HO mechanical advance plate

Eriksf250

I would not modify the 10L reluctor slot. It is the most desirable size. If you ever upgrade parts and can run more initial timing you will want the 10L. Instead, I would buy the cheapest distributor you can find that has a 13L and just swap it for that one and keep the 10L as a spare. If you want to know how much initial you can run hook vacuum gauge up to manifold vacuum source, set idle rpm to desired amount, then advance distributor until you get the highest vacuum reading. Then retard the timing by 2°. That will be close. One medium and one light spring. 10° initial with the 13L arm will give you your 36° total and probably all in around 3K.

With 4.10's and 1:1 you should be spinning pretty good on the highway, so depending on your tire size maybe tip-in won't be any problem.

2.73's in a huge boat like my grandmother's '76 Country Squire would be a different story. Man! Did that thing just move out...

I think 36° @ 3K might be fine for you.

You might like it with faster on the bottom as described above.

If you get knock slowly accelerating on a highway hill try backing out some vacuum advance (if yours is adjustable)

I believe I still have the original distributor laying somewhere in my truck that's not with me yet. When I get it back, I'm going to take it apart and see what plates are in there. If they are different than what is currently in the engine and it will work in my favor then I might just switch them out.