Bullnose Forums

three on the tree .oh no!

mat in tn

I'm really struggling with the novelty of it. "what's it worth"? anyway, going with a 5 speed is still pretty mainstream and many of us love them. and it is the best for mpg which is a major part.

I struggled with the novelty of it as well. I think they're really neat and they are a great conversation piece, at least if there's anybody around that was born before 1980 lol. For that truck, there was no benefit in keeping it all original, and I was modifying it anyway, so when the novelty wore off I decided to get rid of it. I should also add that the cast transmission case was also cracked...the two lower bolt ears that attach to the bell housing, so to keep that transmission in place was going to take a lot of effort on my part even after rebuilding the steering column and shifter.

I kept the column and just gutted all of the usable parts out of it, and then cut the shifter handle nub off. I filled the hole, smoothed it down and painted it. All of the usable spare parts for the 3-on-the-tree I listed for sale on one of the Bullnose FB groups and it sold in about 10 minutes to a guy that had a 3spd truck. I think the columns are worth good money to the right people, but they're awkward and expensive to ship. Anybody that has a column 3spd would be crazy to not buy a spare column/spare parts...minimum they should be worth several hundred dollars in my opinion. I think I sold all of my spare parts for $200, and that was probably 5 years ago.

I'm really struggling with the novelty of it. "what's it worth"? anyway, going with a 5 speed is still pretty mainstream and many of us love them. and it is the best for mpg which is a major part.

I struggled with the novelty of it as well. I think they're really neat and they are a great conversation piece, at least if there's anybody around that was born before 1980 lol. For that truck, there was no benefit in keeping it all original, and I was modifying it anyway, so when the novelty wore off I decided to get rid of it. I should also add that the cast transmission case was also cracked...the two lower bolt ears that attach to the bell housing, so to keep that transmission in place was going to take a lot of effort on my part even after rebuilding the steering column and shifter.

I kept the column and just gutted all of the usable parts out of it, and then cut the shifter handle nub off. I filled the hole, smoothed it down and painted it. All of the usable spare parts for the 3-on-the-tree I listed for sale on one of the Bullnose FB groups and it sold in about 10 minutes to a guy that had a 3spd truck. I think the columns are worth good money to the right people, but they're awkward and expensive to ship. Anybody that has a column 3spd would be crazy to not buy a spare column/spare parts...minimum they should be worth several hundred dollars in my opinion. I think I sold all of my spare parts for $200, and that was probably 5 years ago.

I did have that idea too. I have two three on the tree columns and they both have the same loose center piece. all other parts are great. I'm sure one will be available for parts at least soon. and I'm always looking for the next build or parts truck too. currently I'm thinking about how to make a buffer/bushing to at least be able to drive it once to get that old time experience. and maybe even drive the grandkids around in something so quirky. grandpa is already getting known for the old trucks.

I did have that idea too. I have two three on the tree columns and they both have the same loose center piece. all other parts are great. I'm sure one will be available for parts at least soon. and I'm always looking for the next build or parts truck too. currently I'm thinking about how to make a buffer/bushing to at least be able to drive it once to get that old time experience. and maybe even drive the grandkids around in something so quirky. grandpa is already getting known for the old trucks.

<>

Amen, Mat! Sometimes I am in that category.

For years I've enjoyed restoring barn find-like old cars to driver status and have seen the "work" of previous owners. Scary sometimes.