Bullnose Forums

Aftermarket column

IowaTom

the lower bearing can be replaced with the column installed. the mid shaft with the flex connector needs to be disconnected then telescoped in to be out of the way then there are three 1/4" headed screws holding the bearing housing to the column. of course, all of this is under the brake master but very accessible.

Terrific! Thanks Mat. If mine's the source of the wiggles, I'll get a new one!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

either of the upper or lower bearings are possible but my experience has mostly been the upper bearing. right under the turn signal switch assembly.

Check this out:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-GM-Tilt-Steering-Column-32-Inch-Floor-Shift-Raw,66808.html

It's the right length for my truck and the 1" DD should be a perfect match. I'd have to rig a connector for the wiring, steering wheel and bracketry under the dash, but Speedway sells an adapter.

I'd get no wiggles and the tilt I need without paying $1K for a refurbished OEM. Am I crazy? Be honest! :-)

Check this out:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-GM-Tilt-Steering-Column-32-Inch-Floor-Shift-Raw,66808.html

It's the right length for my truck and the 1" DD should be a perfect match. I'd have to rig a connector for the wiring, steering wheel and bracketry under the dash, but Speedway sells an adapter.

I'd get no wiggles and the tilt I need without paying $1K for a refurbished OEM. Am I crazy? Be honest! :-)

Ok, ignition switch, where is it? Needs a GM or adapted steering wheel, no cruise switches if you have cruise.

I helped put one in a 1956 Dog, er Dodge pickup that other than the 9" rear and Mustang II front end was kept all Mopar complete with a 360 and Torqueflite 727. It was ok, but I wouldn't use one in mine.

Having had two full size Fomoco cars (1970 LTD and 1971 Colony Park) I would bet any floor shift car of that era with a column mounted ignition switch could be used. The shifter bowl is replaced with a dummy for floor shift applications.

Ok, ignition switch, where is it? Needs a GM or adapted steering wheel, no cruise switches if you have cruise.

I helped put one in a 1956 Dog, er Dodge pickup that other than the 9" rear and Mustang II front end was kept all Mopar complete with a 360 and Torqueflite 727. It was ok, but I wouldn't use one in mine.

Having had two full size Fomoco cars (1970 LTD and 1971 Colony Park) I would bet any floor shift car of that era with a column mounted ignition switch could be used. The shifter bowl is replaced with a dummy for floor shift applications.

Take two...

Right, Bill...where's the IGN? Perhaps this one:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Keyed-GM-Tilt-Steering-Column-Floor-Shift-32-Raw,486006.html

It's keyed and I'd have to adapt the Ford wires but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

The idea of finding a full size Ford or Merc of that vintage is a good idea. Thanks!

Take two...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Keyed-GM-Tilt-Steering-Column-Floor-Shift-32-Raw,486006.html

It's keyed and I'd have to adapt the Ford wires but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

The idea of finding a full size Ford or Merc of that vintage is a good idea. Thanks!

While you are on GM (Saginaw) columns, here's one, not Chrome, but interior color.

DSCN2368.jpg.03b57fabe6597ef2b7225d9e050a6c54.jpg

Take two...

personally, I would consider that as a last resort. how much of a requirement is tilt wheel actually?

personally, I would consider that as a last resort. how much of a requirement is tilt wheel actually?

According to my MARTI, mine originally came with a tilt—it does not have one now, so…..Also, someone put in an 87+ bench seat in it instead of the low back bench they were including then.

Interior is my next project, in about a year I surmise. Much to pay off before I get to it.

But, I am definitely interested in the column search noted in this thread.

According to my MARTI, mine originally came with a tilt—it does not have one now, so…..Also, someone put in an 87+ bench seat in it instead of the low back bench they were including then.

Interior is my next project, in about a year I surmise. Much to pay off before I get to it.

But, I am definitely interested in the column search noted in this thread.

Item for you, the same column was used in the coffin nose (1987-1991) trucks use the same column, but a different bolt on mounting bracket and ignition switch. If you are using a floor shift then any floor shift tilt column 1980-1991 will work.

Item for you, the same column was used in the coffin nose (1987-1991) trucks use the same column, but a different bolt on mounting bracket and ignition switch. If you are using a floor shift then any floor shift tilt column 1980-1991 will work.

Wait so you are saying ANY tilt column (I have manual stick) will work from 80-91? And all I would have to do is fab up the mounting bracket (and match the wires of course). :nabble_anim_working: