Bullnose Forums

Brainstorming...

Still working through the harness....been dealing with some other glaring issues first. Frankie is sitting in the driveway currently unable to start. I've had a few issues since I rebuilt my carb and I'm a bit concerned that maybe my carb works a bit too well since I did. Even if I almost completely close the adjustment screws I just can't get it to fire up. I've replaced the ignition coil and wires (may need to trim them) and I am getting 12v at the coil so I don't think its that. It cranks but shows no signs of firing up. The last time I drove it I barely made it home because it overheated and shot water out of the radiator (running rich then too). That prompted me to get a bigger radiator and fans since the ones that were installed were a bit small but I've been unable to test them out. I've dealt with fuel spitting out of the carb, backfiring, pretty much any issues you can have and they all kinda point to too much fuel.

Would smaller jets help maybe? Power valve is same size as original. It just seems like no matter what I do I still get too much fuel. Could the carb just be failing? I know there's a few things I need to check but I guess I just am brainstorming out loud....any thoughts on anything I could also check that maybe I haven't considered. Spark plugs are brand new. As is my ignition module.

I'm not quite sure where to start. Dane may be right, but you've really not given us enough to go on.

Is the choke closing almost all the way when the engine is cold? It needs to.

If you have fuel shooting out of the carb, what fuel pump do you have?

We need a lot more info, please.

I'm not quite sure where to start. Dane may be right, but you've really not given us enough to go on.

Is the choke closing almost all the way when the engine is cold? It needs to.

If you have fuel shooting out of the carb, what fuel pump do you have?

We need a lot more info, please.

The electric choke is currently disconnected. Also, I'm in Florida and it is not cold currently. No fuel shooting out. The fuel is just under the sight glass of the bowl and isn't going above it when I crank it. It did when it warmed up which I thought may have been from vapor lock. It would only overflow once the truck was off.

The electric choke is currently disconnected. Also, I'm in Florida and it is not cold currently. No fuel shooting out. The fuel is just under the sight glass of the bowl and isn't going above it when I crank it. It did when it warmed up which I thought may have been from vapor lock. It would only overflow once the truck was off.

An engine needs some help to start, like choke or ether/gas squirted in. If your choke is disconnected then I don't think it'll start.

ok lets go back a bit. it ran hot. it shot coolant out of the radiator? you replaced the radiator?

The radiator was too small from the beginning. That was something that was on the list of things to fix it initially so it was kind of the catalyst. But yes. And at the time it was only water so I shouldn't say coolant

The radiator was too small from the beginning. That was something that was on the list of things to fix it initially so it was kind of the catalyst. But yes. And at the time it was only water so I shouldn't say coolant

this seems concerning to me as often it can mean that not only did it get hot but maybe too hot. cracked block, cracked head (s) blown head gasket. these are a few issues that happen often when run too hot. how hot is too hot? Ask the engine. pull the plugs and check for contamination, gas means you are getting gas but not proof of good gas. oil means possible worn rings or valve seals, super clean or rusty means they were steam cleaned from the water. I would eliminate these basics first. then do a compression test to see if there is a down cylinder or more. prove the basics and as soon as you know the fundamentals, that can help you move forward with more confidence.

this seems concerning to me as often it can mean that not only did it get hot but maybe too hot. cracked block, cracked head (s) blown head gasket. these are a few issues that happen often when run too hot. how hot is too hot? Ask the engine. pull the plugs and check for contamination, gas means you are getting gas but not proof of good gas. oil means possible worn rings or valve seals, super clean or rusty means they were steam cleaned from the water. I would eliminate these basics first. then do a compression test to see if there is a down cylinder or more. prove the basics and as soon as you know the fundamentals, that can help you move forward with more confidence.

Mat if it helps any, the drive couldn't have been more than 5-10 miles. I had my radiator fans on the entire time. Lots of stop and go at lights. Was just trying to get it home

I did notice oil on a few of the plugs. I thought it may have been gasoline but a few days later and they are still wet. Whatever I find, I will keep you all posted