Bullnose Forums

Might buy a 1989 F150, yes I know it's not a bull.

rcarlisle

Hey guys,

Been looking for a truck for my son. He likes my truck and had helped me do a lot. So a project would be nice.

Ran across a guy with an 89 F150 XLT Lariat today. 302, auto, 133k miles. Body is solid. Not rusted out at all that I saw from first look. Interior is pretty good, couple small spots. I know it's not a bull, but there aren't any around here for sale that I can find.

Anything I should look at/for on further inspection? Price isn't bad and would be a good starter truck for the boy. And close enough to the bull for me to be able to help him with.

Thanks

There's not a whole lot of difference other than the interior and gauges. The cab corners still rusted and the rear wheel wells did as well. But the driveline was basically the same and quite solid.

Check this. All four fenders look like this. I haven't crawled under it yet. All four wheels have the rings and the centers are in the bed. Interior is pretty good. Passenger seat has a 4" split and cloth coming off the door panel, but could be re glued.

And it was running nicely. More to come when I check it out.

IMG_20230208_152610552.jpg.5b7b3fbcc5843c7aec2eec5f3bfb55fe.jpgt

Check this. All four fenders look like this. I haven't crawled under it yet. All four wheels have the rings and the centers are in the bed. Interior is pretty good. Passenger seat has a 4" split and cloth coming off the door panel, but could be re glued.

t

that seems to be a great option. on the dash ,does it show 133k or just 33 and the one roll over is told/assumed? if it is either the 5.0or the 4.9 its a great option.

that seems to be a great option. on the dash ,does it show 133k or just 33 and the one roll over is told/assumed? if it is either the 5.0or the 4.9 its a great option.

Ya know, I didn't really look. He told me 133k. From the condition, it was believable. I'll probably call him this evening. I have an appointment this evening with the mechanic that was working on it and I'll going to ask him what he thinks of the truck. If he says it's ok, I'll call and go look at it more in depth

t

Not bad, Randy. I'll be interested to see what you say after you look at it and talk to the mechanic. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Not bad, Randy. I'll be interested to see what you say after you look at it and talk to the mechanic. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Went today. This is as solid a truck as you could ask for. Floors, bed, body, fenders, all solid. Engine runs good. Power windows not working. Engine strong, cruise works. AC compressor is gone but rest of system in place.

Seller ended up wanting $2800 and I was ok with that. I was better at 2600. The deal with my son was to be we'd buy it, but he would have to pay the extra over $2000, plus the majority of whatever we did to it. This would make him have some responsibility and thought into what he did to it. He could work this off, as he helps me when I have jobs.

He studied on this and decided he wasn't ready to jump just yet, with no real job. He's only 15 till September. And he is a student athlete, which would not allow for a "real" job. And that he wasn't 100% sure he wanted a truck. His mom has a 2003 Pontiac grand Prix that she bought new and his 2 older siblings have also driven.

I respect his decision to not take the truck if he wasn't ready to accept the responsibility. So we did not buy the truck.

My next harebrained scheme is a 65 thunderbird on FB market place that is supposed to be complete and just needs assembly. And paint. This will be for wife and me if we get it. Will be looking at it next week.

So that's the story.

Went today. This is as solid a truck as you could ask for. Floors, bed, body, fenders, all solid. Engine runs good. Power windows not working. Engine strong, cruise works. AC compressor is gone but rest of system in place.

Seller ended up wanting $2800 and I was ok with that. I was better at 2600. The deal with my son was to be we'd buy it, but he would have to pay the extra over $2000, plus the majority of whatever we did to it. This would make him have some responsibility and thought into what he did to it. He could work this off, as he helps me when I have jobs.

He studied on this and decided he wasn't ready to jump just yet, with no real job. He's only 15 till September. And he is a student athlete, which would not allow for a "real" job. And that he wasn't 100% sure he wanted a truck. His mom has a 2003 Pontiac grand Prix that she bought new and his 2 older siblings have also driven.

I respect his decision to not take the truck if he wasn't ready to accept the responsibility. So we did not buy the truck.

My next harebrained scheme is a 65 thunderbird on FB market place that is supposed to be complete and just needs assembly. And paint. This will be for wife and me if we get it. Will be looking at it next week.

So that's the story.

I think that was very responsible for your son. At that age I'd have jumped at anything with wheels, but he showed great maturity in making that decision.

A '64 Bird is a big car. Cool, but big. That would be a fun project. :nabble_smiley_good: