Bullnose Forums

84 F-150 300i6 3 speed OD 2.47 rears 2WD

844rd

Great feedback all, I like the idea of the whole cluster and I always wanted a trip odometer. Like you said I can keep my old one for spare parts. Only thing I would like to keep the same odometer reading so can they be swapped out or change the new one?

Yep. The instructions are here: Electrical/Gauges on the Odometer Reset page.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. The instructions are here: Electrical/Gauges on the Odometer Reset page.

Hey Gary,

Anyone ever try and repaint the numbers on a trip odometer?

My 1980 f150 has one but if you want to read the numbers you'd have to plant your face onto the clear shield. Even then it would be a hard read.

I've been thinking of taking the number wheels out of an old Speedo to replace them. Haven't worked up the nerve, yet. Not sure if I really want to know how many miles I go per trip.

Sully

Hey Gary,

Anyone ever try and repaint the numbers on a trip odometer?

My 1980 f150 has one but if you want to read the numbers you'd have to plant your face onto the clear shield. Even then it would be a hard read.

I've been thinking of taking the number wheels out of an old Speedo to replace them. Haven't worked up the nerve, yet. Not sure if I really want to know how many miles I go per trip.

Sully

I've not heard of anyone repainting them, but from the instructions it looks like you might be able to remove the gears with the numbers on them. That might make it easier. But, not easy as there are lots of numbers to repaint. Like 60 of them?

It might be easier to find a better odometer.

I got the new steering gearbox and new pitman arm installed. Drives much better now.:nabble_smiley_happy:

20180906_224145.jpg.7a205296b6c4a42fa0fc174bafd83989.jpg

Now a question. When I had the emission stuff removed, so went the charcoal canister, But now I have the gas tank vent line just laying there. I feel like I should have a makeshift filter or something there. Ant ideas????:nabble_smiley_thinking:20180907_154049.jpg.2d801f8228dd4a2487b9706edebf4065.jpg

I got the new steering gearbox and new pitman arm installed. Drives much better now.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Now a question. When I had the emission stuff removed, so went the charcoal canister, But now I have the gas tank vent line just laying there. I feel like I should have a makeshift filter or something there. Ant ideas????:nabble_smiley_thinking:

Isn't it amazing how much better they drive with a good steering box? Huge difference on the ones I've done.

On the vent, you could put the charcoal canister back. Or, put a small fuel filter there to keep the bugs and dirt out.

Isn't it amazing how much better they drive with a good steering box? Huge difference on the ones I've done.

On the vent, you could put the charcoal canister back. Or, put a small fuel filter there to keep the bugs and dirt out.

Thanks Gary, I think I've got one of those little filters in the shed. I'll rig that up. I don't like having it open like that.

Steering box: Ford's design used the case for the front bearing, but after several thousand miles the case wears. You can buy a "rebuilt" steering box, like from Cardone, but they don't do anything about the worn case. However, both RedHead and Blue-Top bore out the original case and install a true bearing. So the box is really better than new. RedHead has gotten some bad reviews of late, but I don't really know if there's a problem. Blue-Top appears to be run by a previous RedHead employee and is getting good reviews, but someone recently said they were out of product when he contacted them.

Hey Gary,

Been meaning to come back and reply here. What have you been reading about the RedHead box issues? I'm hoping to order one this fall...just waiting for the next sale...maybe Thanksgiving or at Christmas...whenever.